Read by Council Boarding and Breaching Additions

On the topic of Boarding, would you prefer...

• This system, having a new weapon and module that allows ships to attach then cut into hull

Votes: 3 33.3%
    • The current system, grapple and torch

Votes: 2 22.2%
    • Your own idea (Reply Below)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I use some simple shoot out rail launchers to shoot sticks of warheads into peoples blast doors, then just waltz right in like i own the place ^_^
    At least, thats how it goes when things go right....

As for traditional grapple & torch boarding, well, this happens quite often on GenX, and is successful more often than not which is quite scary.

One such hilarious example visited upon an alliance member of mine

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    the present, suicidal method of detonating extremely lethal bombs....in front of your own face.
    Well, thats the whole purpose of this post, to convey the use of a new Grapple then drill system, less suicidal, and a new opening for new mechanics like better astronaut combat, oxygen, new astronaut weapons, hacking, and best of all hijacking
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459212037,1459211922][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As for traditional grapple & torch boarding, well, this happens quite often on GenX,
    well, this system would be a more "direct" way of boarding, like during fleet combat this would be a more viable tactic then the rail torpedo or the torch method

Reaction score
    I think that science fiction resources show boarding to be a viable option---Covenant boarders disable the main weapons system of the Pillar of Autumn, the goal of the Devastator's pursuit of Leia's Blockade Runner is to board it to capture high-value information/targets, and boarding operations are crucial to the success of the guerilla force in any number of other science fiction books or movies, especially when the forces are massively outnumbered and outgunned by a huge enemy ship.

Basically, boarding is the poor man's way to disable a very large ship.

That and ramming a slipspace engine into the bottom of the enemy's supercarrier...and detonating it. Or just plain sneaking up and planting a bomb in the fusion reactor. Because everyone knows that the reactor is unguarded AT ALL TIMES, pursuant to Antagonist Directives Number 3: Smart choices must not be made by the dominant, powerful, extremely evil antagonists of any work of fiction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that science fiction resources show boarding to be a viable option---Covenant boarders disable the main weapons system of the Pillar of Autumn, the goal of the Devastator's pursuit of Leia's Blockade Runner is to board it to capture high-value information/targets, and boarding operations are crucial to the success of the guerilla force in any number of other science fiction books or movies, especially when the forces are massively outnumbered and outgunned by a huge enemy ship.

That and ramming a slipspace engine into the bottom of the enemy's supercarrier...and detonating it. Or just plain sneaking up and planting a bomb in the fusion reactor. Because everyone knows that the reactor is unguarded AT ALL TIMES, pursuant to Antagonist Directives Number 3: Smart choices must not be made by the dominant, powerful, extremely evil antagonists of any work of fiction.
    what is the point you are trying to make here? are you agreeing with me or him?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I use some simple shoot out rail launchers to shoot sticks of warheads into peoples blast doors, then just waltz right in like i own the place ^_^
    At least, thats how it goes when things go right....

As for traditional grapple & torch boarding, well, this happens quite often on GenX, and is successful more often than not which is quite scary.

One such hilarious example visited upon an alliance member of mine
    Boarding in the current state of the game does not work on anyone who isn't a moron and designs their ship with anti-boarder measures.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think it can be that, and love that. I think we also need to consider boarding in the broader context. After any space battle, I'd assume that the vast majority of victors board their vanquished foes.

Boarding is a sort of coup de grace as I see it. Some ships are set up to punch through the enemy's hull and deliver a strong boarding party early in an encounter. Others may not board until the enemy is disabled and overheating and all crew are presumed dead. Regardless, once a successful boarding occurs, the fight is finished. There's little else as final in ship-to-ship combat as successful boarding.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Boarding in the current state of the game does not work on anyone who isn't a moron and designs their ship with anti-boarder measures.
    Which is what I consider "things not going right"

Reaction score
    In order to make boarding useful, the "Overheating" thing basically needs to go away, people need to have crewed titans or other large vessels worth boarding, and you need to have some benefit for boarding.

Perhaps information can become a commodity. There was another thread that discussed chat improvements and information, and I think that a good thing to do for SM multiplayer is to make information a commodity. In effect, your information about the galaxy should become very limited, and therefore it should be profitable for you to use scanning systems.

Getting a bit off track. The idea I'm coming to is that if you make information valuable, then boarding an enemy's ship becomes valuable, because when you access the core and steal records of travels/systems they traveled through, and scans, you then learn about any parts of the galaxy(ies) that they have visited and that you have not.

Otherwise, perhaps just allow people to board ships in order to steal pieces without the ridiculous scrap mechanic.

Stuff that is on a ship that's shot apart isn't necessarily damaged. Only pieces that get shot are damaged.

Reaction score
    Boarding is currently workable. It requires, best I can see, an insanely complex set of gear. Multiple ship cores, couple hundred warheads, and a logic signal that can be triggered from a safe distance. Oh, and a one-use boarding craft with a warhead-loaded bow. Warheads go off on an external docking port or hangar door, then you take ship cores INSIDE, spawn them when you encounter doors, use them to plant warheads, step back, pull trigger... and... well, pray you're back far enough. However, meanwhile target Titan or Battleship is tearing your poor allies (read: cannon fodder) into shreds, and whatever onboard defense system this maniac (read: genius) has come up with is tearing YOU to shreds.

I would love to see a boarding TOOL, of any kind, perhaps a satchel charge sort of thing, that quickly disassembles doors. It should be inexpensive, as well, because you're not boarding a Titan from an equally matched Titan - you're boarding because you don't have other options. Also, atmosphere would be nice. I would love to be able to blast a door out and kill all the NPCs/crewmen inside who aren't wearing helmets/spacesuits. However, understanding that it is insanely complex, I'll be satisfied with a rapid-working tool.