Blueprint-lock

Reaction score
    Not so sure about this, it seems a little restrictive. But I get the idea, if some dick grabs a ship, prints it then posts it/sells prints then the original creator loses out.

How would it be implemented though?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    +1

I completely agree with this. You should have to tick a box (which is unticked by default) if you want a ship to be able to be blueprinted. Factions would not have to risk members leaking blueprints and we would be able to sell ships.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think this would be nice to have.

But you should also be able to hack this somehow (way of hacking may be dependent on server options).
    1. Scarifying a ship
    2. Pay credits for blueprinting foreign ships in a dedicated shipyard
    3. Manually copy+paste segments onto a new ship <-- does not need more code and will be default.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    IMO only the player who spawned the ship should be able to change this setting.(Yes, I am excluding admins here, because in order to moderate a server an admins job isn't to take blueprints of ships[stations and sectors are a whole different story])

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe the original blueprint could have a permanent, non-overwrite-able author field. Naturally, crackers will eventually figure out how to change the author field, but this will be more trouble than it's worth. Then the blueprint, after the initial creation, will always have that first author's name.

Attempted theft example:
    Author1 builds a magnificent ship and calls it Ship1 in the catalogue. It then is shown on the list as "Ship1 by Author1". He sells it to player2 who then makes a few changes and attempts to save it to the catalogue as "Player2's Ship2". That catalogue entry will now read "Player2's Ship2 by Author1", forever marking Player2 as a thief.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That catalogue entry will now read "Player2's Ship2 by Author1", forever marking Player2 as a thief.
    You are evil! Do you enjoy others suffering? :D

*more seriously*
    Why not just sub-sorting it (like a sub-folder in your file hierarchy) as a remake?

How will you, the evil one, curse copy+paste feature users?
    Or maybe these small ships are just not allowed to get protected that easily because there is less work behind their creation? ;)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "You are evil!"
    Affirmative

"Do you enjoy others suffering?"
    A: Yes

"Why not just sub-sorting it (like a sub-folder in your file hierarchy) as a remake?"
    Sounds like a good idea as long as it is forced by the game, and the original author is referenced in some way (maybe a hyperlink to the original blueprint?) After all, it's not just about the freedom to build, but also limiting theft. I have seen the wildfire that results from theft accusations, so there needs to be solid proof, not only to provide a decision to a theft argument, but also to openly and automatically shame those who would try to steal designs, even with modifications.

Additional idea:
    "License tax": When a player saves a version of a ship they bought from someone else, maybe have some credits automatically transfer from the new player to the original author. Again, evil, but somewhat realistic, in addition to being a subtle reward for the original author's fine work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the idea of patenting gets old and not only with future copy&paste stuff impossible to enforce, but also with lawyers a too-easy-to-use to suppress others (especially if eco-tycoons share patents exclusively with those who have own patents to share).

Sure. the dev should get paid, but how do you want to put security over freedom?

I think the owner should be able to sell an idea to public before releasing and that this is the right way to go.
    The creator should get support and a basic insurance against theft by the country and/or organisations which earned the thrust of peoples.
    The sell value should not be able to set infinite (=suppress development of similar ideas)
    Nor should it be sold to some exclusive groups which got their money likely from draining it from other people's pockets.
    Those who see it as a way to create better things and earn money will likely pay a small share. Sum all these donators and you get a real value.​

I am NOT saying I support those who get access to the ideas of others and use them for themselves, but I think it is also unfair to have others pay for ideas they could have developed themselves too, if given the chance.

Not released stuff is the only way to ensure ideas are not stolen but developed by others. Once something is sold to public, it doesn't matter as referring to somebody else's name don't hurt you. Also this person already got paid with what the society he lives in sees as fair payment.​

For pirates it could be a great achievement to own stolen things and not die to their death-traps :)
    Maybe they will even be proud of flying your design and happily spray your name across the ship's hull.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    "You are evil!"
    Affirmative

"Do you enjoy others suffering?"
    A: Yes

"Why not just sub-sorting it (like a sub-folder in your file hierarchy) as a remake?"
    Sounds like a good idea as long as it is forced by the game, and the original author is referenced in some way (maybe a hyperlink to the original blueprint?) After all, it's not just about the freedom to build, but also limiting theft. I have seen the wildfire that results from theft accusations, so there needs to be solid proof, not only to provide a decision to a theft argument, but also to openly and automatically shame those who would try to steal designs, even with modifications.

Additional idea:
    "License tax": When a player saves a version of a ship they bought from someone else, maybe have some credits automatically transfer from the new player to the original author. Again, evil, but somewhat realistic, in addition to being a subtle reward for the original author's fine work.
    So in other words, you want copyright in game? What about being able to pirate blueprints...hmmm

The ShipyardBay?

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, this is something that seriously needs to be looked at. As some may know, bench is planning a site on which you can trade ship cards and do all sorts of other stuff. But at it's core it still depends on ship blueprints. I don't think it is fair if someone would then be able to claim something as his own that isn't his at all.

Reaction score
    Maybe the original blueprint could have a permanent, non-overwrite-able author field. Naturally, crackers will eventually figure out how to change the author field, but this will be more trouble than it's worth. Then the blueprint, after the initial creation, will always have that first author's name.

Attempted theft example:
    Author1 builds a magnificent ship and calls it Ship1 in the catalogue. It then is shown on the list as "Ship1 by Author1". He sells it to player2 who then makes a few changes and attempts to save it to the catalogue as "Player2's Ship2". That catalogue entry will now read "Player2's Ship2 by Author1", forever marking Player2 as a thief.
    The original suggestion though was to make it so that a certain ship could not be saved as a blueprint, so you could build a ship, lock it from being blueprinted, and then sell it to someone on the server, and they couldn't then outfit their whole faction with it. They would have to come to you for each one.

I think it's an awesome idea, I'd love to see a server where shipbuilder was a role (not just ship designer, which is what is possible now).

Another thing that would be nice is to make it possible to spawn a ship from a local blueprint, without uploading it to the server, so that players could keep designs private, but still create copies.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Another thing that would be nice is to make it possible to spawn a ship from a local blueprint, without uploading it to the server, so that players could keep designs private, but still create copies.
    Without uploading; impossible; BUT the server could prevent access to the blueprint for ANYONE and delete the blueprint once the ship was spawned.

Reactions: jayman38

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then you would need to lock copy&paste on authored ships too. Wouldn't that deny us having building palettes?

Or have ships big enough to make it annoying to copy&paste it. but I think if somebody builds it from scratch another one may do the effort of copy+pasting parts of it.

I think locking copy+paste (for hacking) on sold ships is not a good idea, but enforcing the author to be mentioned is a good one.
    Refits could have in their Author-Field: "Original Author A -> 1st refit by B -> 2nd refit by C, ..." till your name is on the 99th line/column/whatever and you might consider to build something new to have a clear list and you on top of it or accept yourself as a minor part builder.​

You should be able to rebuild these ship if you sacrifice the ship to a ship-yard dismantling it or copy+pasted all blocks onto a new ship.
    Would be fun to have some blocks which trigger when somebody salvages these :D

I would really dislike a system were some troll saves each possible combination of core + thrusters + reactors and then everybody else gets marked as thief as soon as he starts building and the system sees only 10% derivation cause of theft prevention.

Reaction score
    Or have ships big enough to make it annoying to copy&paste it. but I think if somebody builds it from scratch another one may do the effort of copy+pasting parts of it.
    I think that's enough; really small ships would be easy enough to copy by eye (i.e look at block, place identical block) anyway.

Copy-paste is really poorly suited to copying whole ships, most servers will have their max selection size at 20 or less, it's really hard to align multiple copy/pastes just so.

Even if small/medium ships were susceptible to copypaste theft, you'd still be able to sell large ships to other players.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Then you would need to lock copy&paste on authored ships too. Wouldn't that deny us having building palettes?

I think locking copy+paste (for hacking) on sold ships is not a good idea, but enforcing the author to be mentioned is a good one.
    Refits could have in their Author-Field: "Original Author A -> 1st refit by B -> 2nd refit by C, ..." till your name is on the 99th line/column/whatever and you might consider to build something new to have a clear list and you on top of it or accept yourself as a minor part builder.​

You should be able to rebuild these ship if you sacrifice the ship to a ship-yard dismantling it or copy+pasted all blocks onto a new ship.
    Would be fun to have some blocks which trigger when somebody salvages these :D

I would really dislike a system were some troll saves each possible combination of core + thrusters + reactors and then everybody else gets marked as thief as soon as he starts building and the system sees only 10% derivation cause of theft prevention.
    The problem isn't that theft happens, it is how easy it happens. There is no need to make theft impossible, but it should be a little harder than just entering a ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Locks a ship you've made from being blueprinted, so you can sell your ship designs to other players without them simply spawning another afterwards.
    you do relize the point of being able to kill others who are in custom built ships is to allow piracy
    if you dont want people stealing your ship either dont upload it to the server , upload spawn in and delte bp (but then whoever kills it gets it)
    or invest in better base defences and set your ship bps to personal.
    NOTE: all of these involve NOT selling the ship to others. if you sold it to them they have a right to BP it.
    if i find a nice ship in MP i will bp it for use in SP or to be refitted and made better if i feel it could use more work
    you want your ship designs to stay safe then make better ships that are hard to kill
    i dont want anyone BPing my capital ship so i make sure it has sheilds that can stand up to most weopons and turrets that kill all
    if i dont want anyone who does kill it to have it i would rig it with disintagrators so if you breach the sheilds the whole thing blows up

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem isn't that theft happens, it is how easy it happens. There is no need to make theft impossible, but it should be a little harder than just entering a ship.
    If either logic flip-flops or string-comparision between display blocks (use it as a terminal) gets added, I will add a password to ALL my ships.

if i dont want anyone who does kill it to have it i would rig it with disintagrators so if you breach the sheilds the whole thing blows up
    I want a self-destruction which does my ship not make a lot easier to destroy (and hull completely obsolete).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    If either logic flip-flops or string-comparision between display blocks (use it as a terminal) gets added, I will add a password to ALL my ships.

I want a self-destruction which does my ship not make a lot easier to destroy (and hull completely obsolete).
    i have tripple layer hard hull and powerful sheilding on my capital so im not sacraficing anything except the abilty for someone to steal it