Blitzwing's Guideline to Ship Classifications!

Reaction score
    Drone- A small ship for the fleets that masses about 5-25.

Corrion-Class - A large ship that carries about 5-10 drone-type ships.

Lithianic Class- A huge ship that carries fifteen Corrion Classes, and 150 drones.

More coming soon from The Doctor!Warranty voided

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have a corvette with a mass of over 36k which is what youd classify as a titan but its only 150 meters long (Blocks for you techy guys) and its a corvette it should be a classification based upon armaments and size bassicallly armor, and weapons ratio to ship size and mass.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Has been a deciding factor for ship class for some time now. In a space game, it should at least be a partial factor.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    These guidelines seem a bit low to me. All of my ships, under these guidelines rank a level higher then I have them set to, my heavy fighter would be a Frigate, my Corvette would be a Destroyer and my gunboat would be a Cruiser.... Of course I also have heavy fighters and gunboats in addition to the ones listed. My next project is a frigate but the current game is too wonky to play at the moment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A rose by any other name would shatter a planet just as easily.

I would call the biggest of the big ships, \"Galaxy\" (one of my favorite ships ever) or \"Infinity\" (not Halo a super fan, but the human ships are spiffy) \"Lexx\" maybe? Or the \"Executor class\"

If you haven\'t seen it or its various incarnations the starship size comparison chart is nifty, if a bit dated.

http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/images/Ships/Spaceships.jpg

or just google it.

Anyway, I might not agree with the names picked but I vehemently agree that we need a standard one supported by Schema, and maybe even auto classified ships in game. That way you can tell if the HMS_Fuzzy_Kitten on your map is a fighter or superdestroyer. It could have drop down menus with selections for either military or civilian, though that could be exploited, so maybe military only.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Deus Machina, or Deus ex Machina, or just Deus. Machine from/of god sounds right for the biggest of the big ships. For ultimate one-upmanship put the name into the game, but only one ship per server may have it at a time. Then watch in horror as servers start toppling like dominoes while people constantly try to build bigger ships. Or maybe not one per server...

Reaction score
    It\'s really not necessary to post this in every ship classification thread.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Greetings again, folks! I made this waaaay back when there were only 10-40 people or so in chat and we only had one chatroom. I never expected such a rush of new players and I never anticipated the game\'s balance to be worked on so much.

As such, I\'d like to re-iterate that this isn\'t a rule, but a guide to ship classifications. All examples held within are simply me giving a preview as to what one can expect from pilotting a ship of a specific size.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Its a good try though, but in a game like this using Mass as a defining factor on how the classification of the ship should be done is just wrong e.g how can you a decent or even just a good fighter craft AND have it covered in armor, and fit to the confines of 50 mass, i mean when was the last time you saw a fighter craft built to have its weapons and/or other parts like the engine exposed for all to see and target in the real world? never.

Also you said for Battlecruiser \"They have been a central force of many major fleets\" no Battleships are the central force of ANY fleet, they pack the biggest punch for taking out other large vessals like carriers (which you missed out the list), aswell battleships, etc, and its just keeps dishing out that damage, and then when they\'ve done that, they keep doing some more, and then after that they do it again.

It primary role to dish out as much damage as any other class of ship (which exception to larger class ships than itself), and it\'s for that reason WHY it is one of the first targets people go for, as if you leave it your fleet\'s big ships will die off before the battleship has a chance to finished it\'s breakfast.

Ships need to classified by what their job is first, NOT how big it is, size should be secondary. if you want to know what i mean look at this guys thread as its spot on.

http://star-made.org/content/different-approach-ship-classifications#comment-50535

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, I do like this classification system. It is moderately sound, and I agree that it is much needed. However, it is also sadly lacking. It only contains military designations, and it does not include anything with regard to purpose. Therefore, Kudos for making this! Now I am going to go and make an improved version, using yours as inspiration.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    along with a few other well established factions have started using this as the base guideline for our ships. We all thank you for your contribution to the StarMade universe.
    -Prime Admiral F. Debris, DFN

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Just a super simple idea I had was if you put an abbreviation for each class just so that it is simpler to classify ships in the ship\'s name. It would be really helpful if you did!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The classification system set down by the wiki is somewhat lacking, in my opinion, but I think this one goes too far in the other direction. A lot of the class systems I\'ve seen, which use mass as their primary stat, ignore the maneuverability penalties involved. Using the default turn settings, the \"heavy fighter\" listed in the wiki, for example, is as ponderous and slow-turning as the largest capital ship.

Your class guide goes the other direction - small and nimble craft are being given titles more appropriate to heavier ships, imho. More than just maneuverability, however, such craft, with such a small mass, could never hold the weaponry or defenses necessary for them to undertake the roles you are assigning them. A frigate or destroyer, with such a low mass, is completely incapable of providing effective screening for larger ships. Frankly, I have turrets on my ships that are larger.

Of course, the real problem with any general ship classification guides are that they are thwarted by the settings imposed on each individual server. The settings an admin uses for the economy, maneuverability, and pirate-owned ships, all have an impact on what the players will build.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I\'d just like to once again say that I\'m pleasantly surprised that this thread is still getting replies. I made these guidelines back in early alpha when there was only a maximum of 30 people in chat and I could count all the servers on my fingers. At the time there wasn\'t such a thing as a \'classification system\' so I made this one in order to more easily communicate the mass and power of a ship as well as to let newbloods coming in know what the averages for \'small\' and \'big\' were.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It\'s a good thread to have. Players are constantly throwing around ship titles when referring to where they feel their ship falls in a heirarchy, and being able to standardize that so everyone is on the same page would be nice. It\'s worth revisiting and updating at some point when the game gets closer to release. By then, the community and experience of the players should give a much broader understanding of how to classify ships.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Not stat-based? Mass is boring. I would love to see it based off the shields and power etc.