Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hello, this is Markus_McCloud.

So I've been in the chat room, and someone told me that Trigger Areas can be used to stop weapons fire while permitting non-weapons-fire entities through. Cool story bro, but having my Blaster get stopped by what is essentially NOTHING kind of bothers me. At the same time, I do like the idea of an intangible, transparent, visible barrier having this property, like this one from Halo 3. This would be perfect for doorways.
    halo-3-20070521033610772-000.jpg

So why not make a new block type? I suggest calling them "Blast Barriers" (though you're welcome to name it yourself), and they should either:
    -A) Have a variety of colors, like lights and hulls, or
    -B) Can be connected to lights to change colors.

Schine, If you're reading this, please add it to the game. Thank you in advance.

(PS, If this was implemented and I'm going on like an idiot, I'll close this thread and never speak of this again.)

UPDATE: Woohoo! This was actually recognized instead of being tossed to the side! Laughing.png

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Trigger areas can no longer be used to stop projectiles, open doors and other non-physical blocks do not get hit by projectiles any more.

I'm indifferent to the idea, it'd basically be forcefields you can walk through. So, I guess it's cool.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!

You mean like these?
    No, those are Force-Fields. They act a lot like Blast Doors. You still have to open and close them like any other door, and they're 100% solid. My suggestion is a non-solid block that stops weapons fire, no opening or closing required.

...Unless the update changed the behavior of these blocks and I'm yammering on like an idiot. (If so... Stupid.png )

Reaction score
    I already suggested something like this (here) but I was pretty much ignored. Glad they finally recognized it.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So it boils down to always visible shield effect as a block?

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think so because it changes color from blue to red on getting lower iirc.

Reaction score
    I have an even better idea, so as not to use more block IDs. Perhaps make all force-fields have two modes passive and active. Passive mode makes the block act as a passable weapon-fire barrier, then active mode which they are in by default when placed makes them act like a door. The way to put them in passive mode would be to link them to one of the logic blocks. I'm not sure which block would be the best choice, but a logic block obviously other than the activation module because it has a different interaction with the blocks.

Reactions: alterintel

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe you could link them to the kind of block to be blocked. Example: Link the forcefield blocks to a cannon computer to make it stop handgun shots and cannon shots. Link it to a beam computer to stop sniper rifle shots and beam shots. Link it to a missile computer to stop missiles and shoulder-launched RPGs. Link it to a door or armor block to stop physical passage.

However, to avoid breaking existing designs, the new field blocks would be new Block IDs, not replacement of the original forcefield block. Plus, the new blocks could use new animated textures. Maybe something that looks more like electrical plasma arcs. I don't have a problem with using more block IDs for such a flexible system.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have an even better idea, so as not to use more block IDs. Perhaps make all force-fields have two modes passive and active. Passive mode makes the block act as a passable weapon-fire barrier, then active mode which they are in by default when placed makes them act like a door. The way to put them in passive mode would be to link them to one of the logic blocks. I'm not sure which block would be the best choice, but a logic block obviously other than the activation module because it has a different interaction with the blocks.
    I like this idea. So as to not break everyone's logic, perhaps there could be a way to switch it. What I would suggest would be a new block called something like a "force field controller," which works like a rail speed controller. You can toggle between the states. When the force field is off, but the force field controller has an activation block that is ON, then the force field remains visible (perhaps the graphic changes a little), but astronauts can pass through it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Its not going to help the vanilla game, but just FYI you can toggle a block's tangibility in the config file. You could go in and make forcefields intangible and they should have the effect you want.

Reaction score
    I like this idea. So as to not break everyone's logic, perhaps there could be a way to switch it. What I would suggest would be a new block called something like a "force field controller," which works like a rail speed controller. You can toggle between the states. When the force field is off, but the force field controller has an activation block that is ON, then the force field remains visible (perhaps the graphic changes a little), but astronauts can pass through it.
    This is pretty much what I was suggesting. I just wasn't sure if it should call for a new block or if an existing block could be appropriate.

Its not going to help the vanilla game, but just FYI you can toggle a block's tangibility in the config file. You could go in and make forcefields intangible and they should have the effect you want.
    As for this, this may be true, but having it changeable in game to be used both ways is beneficial to many builders. This will allow for you to use the force-fields in both ways passive and active on the same ship even. This would be nice for safe rooms or even to be used as a weapon block for assaults inside large ships. Could be used to protect crucial ship components inside. Though it wouldn't be much different then just armor coating them, but it would look cooler.

Reaction score
    Couldn't you make something like this using area triggers?
    |=forcefield
    L=Area trigger
    L|L
    L|L
    If a ship or character passed through the forcefields would go away, but they would block shots.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Hmm... Good point. Perhaps a Force Field Computer or Force Field Controller block?

Couldn't you make something like this using area triggers?
    |=forcefield
    L=Area trigger
    L|L
    L|L
    If a ship or character passed through the forcefields would go away, but they would block shots.
    Those don't always work, especially when you're flying at the speed of no-clip. Plus, you could just stand on the other side of the door and fire,
    like...

A=astronaut in area trigger
    _=forcefield, now deactivated
    L=Area trigger
    X=target
    A_L X
    A_L X

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    Those don't always work, especially when you're flying at the speed of no-clip. Plus, you could just stand on the other side of the door and fire,
    like...

A=astronaut in area trigger
    _=forcefield, now deactivated
    L=Area trigger
    X=target
    A_L X
    A_L X
    Yes, but especially if it's a glass door... At 20-50 mps... It'd work in a limited sot of way.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Realy when I post this evryone is againts it,and now evryone wants it what is it me or it starmade people troling me.
    But I want it.