binvox to sm3 blueprint (Released)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am trying to use your program and I am able to do the whole process except when I try to load the ship in StarMade. It starts to load but with a mass of 0.01 and after about 30 seconds it disappears. The catalog stats it has a mass of 236 so I'm not sure what the issue is. Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am trying to use your program and I am able to do the whole process except when I try to load the ship in StarMade. It starts to load but with a mass of 0.01 and after about 30 seconds it disappears. The catalog stats it has a mass of 236 so I'm not sure what the issue is. Thanks.
    could i ask for the command you used for vox2sm3, must admit that i hadnt checked if the workarounds it used have been patched in the latest patch

Reaction score
    Ah I finally go around to trying this TBterra - imported the shell for my next ship, "The Cockroach" ;). Thank you for this excellent program!
    (How do you find such nice light locations to take screenshots of your ships?) starmade-screenshot-0005.png

Reaction score
    Could you possibly make a youtube tutorial of this sequence to converting for all of us "visual" learners out there? I'm having a hard time figuring out part of the sequence or rather understanding how it works...this is the part I dont't understand: Useage is ```Vox2sm3 NAME_OF_MODEL``` do not add .binvox to the end of the name, as that is added automaticly when opening the file.....I get that that's the useage, but how do you use that useage...I dunno if that makes sense or not...I've got my binvox file set up and now all I have to do is use Vox2sm3 to convert it, but how do I use it and where do I use it at? Is Vox2sm3 supposed to be installed into the starmade folder or the binvox/viewvox folder? Am I supposed to input this code into the .bat file that I'm voxelating with binvox?

Reaction score
    Could you possibly make a youtube tutorial of this sequence to converting for all of us "visual" learners out there? I'm having a hard time figuring out part of the sequence or rather understanding how it works...this is the part I dont't understand: Useage is ```Vox2sm3 NAME_OF_MODEL``` do not add .binvox to the end of the name, as that is added automaticly when opening the file.....I get that that's the useage, but how do you use that useage...I dunno if that makes sense or not...I've got my binvox file set up and now all I have to do is use Vox2sm3 to convert it, but how do I use it and where do I use it at? Is Vox2sm3 supposed to be installed into the starmade folder or the binvox/viewvox folder? Am I supposed to input this code into the .bat file that I'm voxelating with binvox?
    It just means that, if your binvox file is named "ship.binvox", the command to use is:

"vox2sm3 ship"

without the speech marks.
    Vox2sm3 and your binvox file ("ship.binvox" in my example) should be in the same folder together before you do this (it doesn't matter where that folder is).

You can either put the command in the last line of your binvox .bat file, or type it manually into the cmd window.

Reaction score
    It just means that, if your binvox file is named "ship.binvox", the command to use is:

"vox2sm3 ship"

without the speech marks.
    Vox2sm3 and your binvox file ("ship.binvox" in my example) should be in the same folder together before you do this (it doesn't matter where that folder is).

You can either put the command in the last line of your binvox .bat file, or type it manually into the cmd window.
    Ok, I followed what you said and now I have ship.binvox, but I get that without using vox2sm3.exe.......isn't the file supposed to be changed to .sm3 at that point? Or do I just need to start starmade and import it now? I've tried this and it will only import .sment files in-game....
    [doublepost=1480204237,1480203853][/doublepost]
    Ok, I followed what you said and now I have ship.binvox, but I get that without using vox2sm3.exe.......isn't the file supposed to be changed to .sm3 at that point? Or do I just need to start starmade and import it now? I've tried this and it will only import .sment files in-game....
    Also when I double click Vox2sm3.exe the window just opens and closes right away...
    [doublepost=1480205494][/doublepost]

Also when I double click Vox2sm3.exe the window just opens and closes right away...
    Ok, I've got it figured out now, it wouldn't work for me by putting the command in the .bat file so I tried it in cmd and it worked perfectly!!!! Thank you for all your help!!!

Reaction score
    Yes, a .binvox file is input into voxsm3, not output.
    The output will be a folder containing the same files/structure that SM uses for ships. Not a .sment file, and not an .sm3 file.
    Copy/paste the folder into your SM blueprints folder and it will be available in game.

Because it has no GUI. Use it as I said above.

Reaction score

[doublepost=1480205494][/doublepost]

Ok, I've got it figured out now, it wouldn't work for me by putting the command in the .bat file so I tried it in cmd and it worked perfectly!!!! Thank you for all your help!!!
    i cant get it started too...

Reaction score
    .obj file ---> [Binvox app] ---> .binvox file ---> [Vox2sm3 app] ---> ship/folder ready to be pasted into your SM ship directory

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now this is pretty cool! Plan on showing a finished project once I figure out how to actually get the thing to run...
    [doublepost=1487895844,1487894794][/doublepost]Um... well this is interesting. Looks like the Halberd didn't come out so well...

Any ideas where this might have gone wrong? I know the wings are a weird curved shape, but they shouldn't have fused the bridge with wings into this big mess... Do I need to add in a parameter or something, or is this all just because the model has a odd shape?

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    When I tried it it didn't generate a .smd3 DATA file...