Better Core Over heating.

Reaction score
    I do not think that this would be very hard to code, but it seems like a very fun aspect of the game, should it be implemented. The First time I had a ship that over heated, I had gone a very long time with out dying and had a ship with multible rooms, I was on a turret when the main core over heated, I was playing online and everyone who was not killed when the core was destroyed rushed to fix it, unfortunitly every time we got close, the enemy ship would kill us. so we began to salvage everything that we could. some people fell behind and when the the overheat counter hit 5 everyone held their breathes and then...Nothing happened, the ship just disapeared, the people that were inside just were floating in space. I was very, very, very, disapointed in the lack of giant-fireball-explosian-of-death that I thought would acompany the distruction of a big ship. I would like an explosian that would kill any players near by and would damage blocks around it, similar to a disintigrater explosian or a missile.

It could also send out rubble which would be things like random hull bits or antimatter cannons they would be their own entity and would go flying out in random directions.

I have a few ideas on how I think ship destruction should happen. One way to PREVENT ship destruction would to have coolent tanks, they would be a placeable block, that when next to one anouther or a core, would increase the armor and amount of damage that a core could take before overheating.

Also, power blocks them selfs could expload, not as power full as a core or even 1 disintigrater exlposian but it would encourage better builds with shielding to power cores.

there is already a animation (explosian fire balls) that happen when a ship overheats, but strangly, none when the counter reaches zero. A formula for determining how big the explosian would be would look something like M+C+(E/100)=X when M= mass of ship C= amount of systems on ship ie. weapons comuter, salvage computer, missile CPU ect. and E= Energy stored on ship when core overheated. and X= how many disintigrater would have to be together to match the explosian strenght. Tell me what you think and anything I should change. Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Possibly something like the core exploding with maybe 3 times as much range as a disintegrator and if the ship is bigger, the rest can just be simply scrapped.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d like to see the size of the core explosion be based off of the size/power of the ship. Exploding cores seem like they\'d add some excitement and variety to ship design and fights - hit turrets might damage the mothership when they go up, fighters suicide-diving into larger ships, or entire carrier decks going up would all be cool.

Reaction score
    Not bad, I didn\'t think of the salvaging issue. But core destruction just deletes the ship, I thought it might be cool to atleast have a big explosian to come with it. maybe when the ship exploads rubble comes flying out, they would be their own entity so they could go flying out in a random directoin. adding to OP

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like your idea but what if a ship could have multiple cores? if you think about it giant ships would have several engine cores and power cores. why not add a system where you need to have additional cores or bigger cores to make your ship bigger? that way when one core blows up it will make a bigger explosion by detonating other near by cores thus a bigger explosion for bigger ships.

Reaction score
    and what if a ship didn\'t need a core at all? think of it, the core has caused me not but annoyance, exiting on the bottem of my ship, tunneling to a core, ships being build backwards by accident, ...

it would be more fun and more realistic if your ship started to explode after a certain % of your power blocks are damaged or destroyed, or if just the power blocks exploded, so only the blocks around your power blocks would be destroyed, leaving a much more realistic wreck, this would also promote placing your power blocks away from your cockpit or whatever you have to enter to pilot your ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Along the lines of what DarkSpenser said, what if the ship\'s core was what provided power? It\'d change the power mechanics a bit, but what if the first core defined the ship and each additional one provided significantly more power; so that larger ships would need to have many cores and would have bigger/more explosions? It could also be made disproportionate, so you have more cores and each provides less power (one provides 10, two provide 9 each, three provide 8 each...); larger ships would need way more cores making it harder to protect more and more cores and creating a soft limit to ship-size.

To keep the current power somewhat intact, you\'d probably still have batteries and the power blocks would provide *some* power addition, just nowhere near the amount that a core would provide.

Reaction score
    I really like the idea of core power generation. but cores are a part of the game and i dont think we should get rid of them. I think that the bigger ship means more cores is a great idea. Planetofsuck, You wouldnt build side ways if you used build mode also the whole tunnel-to-core only is if you are to lazy to build an inside to a ship but i do like the idea of power blocks exploading, adding to OP.

Reaction score
    Shipcores could have a limit of blocks attached to them? Bigger ships needs more cores, and if destroyed, they go with a bang, and an explosive one at that. Also, more cores grants you the ability to board your ship from multiple places, which can be useful for huge ships. Would still need corridors if you want to protect them efficiently, as you could place them all in the same deep, shielded, hull layered protected place.

Reaction score
    The idea of limiting ship size to the amount of cores (each core has a radious that can be built in) would not only be annoying if you\'re are fighting a ship that requires you to destroy 50+ cores, but would be a pain to place and protect properly during construction of large ships. The idea that cores would give you a power boost does make a bit of sense, but cannot really match the coding cost of doing this (basically rewriting how cores function, or adding a bulky addition to it).

Thats why I would think of adding an additional block that functions much the same as a ship core right up to giving a diamond, but not be listed as a ship entity. This way you may conceal your core on large ships, access your ship in multiple locations, and not be limited in ship size. These fake cores can be destroyed much the same way as the real core (with the destructo-timer) without any real danger to the real core. They could also give a small \"area of effect\" which could boost surrounding systems outputs by a factor of 3 (Ox3=P O=output P=product) thus making it more appealing to any ship captain to have installed (althought having 3 or 4 diamonds on a 50 mass ship wouldn\'t be too tricky for most enemies to uncover the actual core). Think how long ship battles would last if Titans had to figure out which of the 50-60 diamonds are the true core, while in the meantime they rip through decks,systems, crew on their quest!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    after trying out some larger ships downloaded off the site i noticed that the giant ships cause huge amounts of lag when they got too close to other planets and space stations. so you can imagine how much lag would be caused (not to mention the server usage) when multiple ship cores chain react causing a massive explosion.

i like what you guys are saying about the limitations and restricting the size of a ship based on the number of cores and i recon this could be the answer to reducing the lag on servers.

lets say for example the 1st or primary core lets you use 100 blocks to build a ship then by adding another core or core enhancer lets you then add an additional 100 blocks to your ship, and so on, and so on...

but what if we could set the maximum number of ship cores that you can use to build a ship into the server configuration just like the settings of the maximum thrust? this way server admins could stop massive lag by stopping people making ships the size of five planets. this would also add a classing system to ship sizes (e.g. 1 core makes your ship a level 1, 2 cores = lv2...)

but back to the topic of blowing up ships....

i see the ships core the heart of a ship not its power source i disagree with changing the game mechanics. in my eyes destroying a ships core to make it over heat is the killing blow to the head. without the ships core, the rest of the ship is useless so to say.

when a core is destroyed (after overheating or from taking enough direct damage) it should create a sizable explosion. but if another one of the ships cores is within the blast zone it too should start to go critical. this will act as the catch 22 of larger ships. sure you have a massive ship with lots of guns but if take out one of your cores then your ship is going to have reduced speed, shields, and fire power, plus a giant hole in its side.

one thing im not sure about is what would happen to ships that are docked near the core or are near by when it goes off.

Reaction score
    Maybe a 100 is a bit low, but yeah, I\'ll expand the idea.

First block = 100

Second Block = +150 for a total of 250

Third +250 total 500

4th +500 total 1000

and etc.

I gave those numbers at random, it can be anything else, I just wanted to push the idea of a scaling in the limit, calculated by the number of ship cores and/or a new core expansion blocks

Reaction score
    Make ships break apart on overheat, in smaller pieces of debris.

The explosion on core overheat would randomly -zap- blocks away in a certain radius from the core depending on the ship\'s size, and any pieces that end up unconnected with other parts will end up as a separate piece of debris.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    that sounds like a good idea but im worried about blocks been dislodged that are sorunded by other blocks on all sides. say you had a 3x3x3 stack and the center block got zapped away then it may get jammed or stuck in another block and cause a glitch. i think it would be better for the near by blocks to start taking heat damage from the over heating core and then just be destroyed.

this way if a ship has a few cores it could still be saved before the overheating core destroys a near by core.

i know this is a tad off topic but should we have a way for a ship to be saved? i know this topic is about blowing up ships but if a ship has multiple cores it would mean that you have put a lot of work into your ship and you would want to lose it. what if the repair beams could be used to stop a core from over heating?

Reaction score
    Did you even read the OP? that is what the op says too! please actually read the OP before commenting, I have already put some of these ideas in.

Reaction score
    Ships can be saved. go to catalog and click create new entry, when you are in the ship the game will make a blue print of your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did read your OP and really like your ideas but fogive me for having a short memory.

Sorry dude.