BE WARE OF SPACE ENGINEER!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They tend to do that kind of thing.

But seriously...

I jsut got it on STEAM, it\'s not a bad game but due to all the physics going on, the scale of it is actually less than Star Made. I cannot afford a fraction of my battleship in Space Engineers because lag kills my computer - I can park 2 super capitals next to each other in Star Made and still fly about...
    It will be interesting to see what happens when they manage to optimize the game some more and give us multiplayer.

As a side note, building controls are utterly confusing and too Mnecraft-like. It\'s much easier to build from a core like in SM than to continuously bump into your ship, sending it into an infinite spin. That and there is a speed limit of 104m/s?????

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First, excuse me for my writing since most of you guys seem very correct in writing (seem) and i\'m not native in english.

Second, about SE posting here:

All i see here are opinions who are against SE (i don\'t mind) but leave other business out of it. Things out of the past and emotions are included in that. LEAVE IT OUT.... it\'s not a good \"review\" or opinion if you do. And versus those opinions come the fact people. You guys made my day. Clear and thought out responses instead of some of the \"kid\" reactions of some of the opinion group.

Third, my opinion mixed with updated facts (so i guess i\'m one of the awful folks here):

As noted earlier in this forum, the devs keep updating every single week, there is a multiplayer which works great. And with multiplayer, yes i have to agree at this point, it\'s one massive crash simulation. There are worlds where they try to make really epic things with mechanics, but most (like me) keep that part small and build massive stations and ships.

For me this is a prettier Minecraft, in space! It doesn\'t feel good at the moment overall but then again as noted a lot of times, but missed? every time by the opinion group, its bloody Alpha!!!!!! It\'s supposed to have bugs, things not included etc.

To please some of you haters, yes you guys are that and yes some opinions writers are mature and nice to read.

It costs too much for this stage, but further than that? I can\'t be negative about bugs (its Alpha once again), about things not included (yet? + its Alpha!).... So yes, some of you guys (great example is first post) are too fed up with emotions and hate with the previous game. Please rewrite your post, do it with care and leave EMOTIONS out of it :)

And feel free to fry/toast/burn/destroy my post with updated facts (or improve)

For the haters: Shoooo! Leave the forums, on every site! We don\'t need you

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The things about space enginners that is good are:

• Moveable parts
    • More realistic collisions
    • Small blocks
    • A lot more freedom while building your ship (not just blocks and wedges)
    • More focus on interior

The things that make all the great things mentioned above worthless:

• OP rockets
    • Lacking shields vs natural collisions (but it is nice that a tiny fighter can have some impact on the game.
    • too few dekoratives.
    • not Cross-Platform !!! I hate microsoft (for being vendor-lockin and propertiary - you can\'t fix bugs without the big brother) and play only on linux. (I hope you don\'t mind having a MS-hater in your thread, rather than a SE-hater? :)

SE had an advanate in dev team size and moral boost (bigger team - encurage each other)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    See folks, here is a great example how to make a (tiny) review :D
    And his \'hate\' is properly supported with reasons, facts and not emotions.

And yes, i agree with all those points, thats why its still in alpha.

Reaction score
    A lot more freedom while building your ship (not just blocks and wedges)

It is my belief that having only blocks is the main reason why Minecraft became so popular. I probably would have grown bored with this game after 10 hours gameplay, instead of wasting like a 1000 or so. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The price is just a turn down. Seriously, it\'s an alpha game (or early release, no difference) and they are selling it for 20$ ??That seems a bit high to me for the product they are offering.

But tbh, starmade and se can\'t be compared. One is a minecrafty space adventure thingy and the other is a realistic space collision simulator (with a higher than it should be price). That is all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAhlu7thyj8

Space Engineer\'s Half blocks. Not wedges, but half sized blocks!

I think it is a mess. Half block wedges look nice. If we have added mass to blocks like SE did, they could even be a good, cheap protection from missiles if they are a bit appart.

But we only need half-wedges or half-wedge-windows and something similar to the flat windows one times with transparency one time not. nothing more in my oppinion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I\'m sad to say, but they do have colours for interior walls. I really hate SE at the moment because it\'s actually good and addictive.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    have u seen GTA 5 yet? even gta has intergrated multiplayer into their new game

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    starmade has never crashed for me at all. infact the first 10 minutes i got se (for free) i crashed it in creative by placing their special gyroscopes. then again with something else. i dont even know how many times its crashed now. oh and their default controls are brutal. i dont think i have a single key command that hasnt been switched to something else. my computer can take the spirit of fire gold and a few super titans and a custom station without breaking a sweat in sm (before 1.4). i place down a few blocks in se and something breaks off.... game crash after game crash

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, I didn\'t see this thread when Space Engineers was on sale on Steam and I wish I had. Though I didn\'t buy it in the end because my bank card expired and I was out of country, I was always wondering if I should have.

The reviews here confirmed what the videos made me worry about...it\'s just Starmade with more eye candy, yet no multiplayer. Add to that any bad reputation that they may seem to have I would say is more than just emotional venting; bad business practices are bad for real people. The practices always hurt the more vulnerable in any society: lower-level workers and consumers.

Whether the situation is that serious, I am no expert in the matter, but the fact that it exists is enough for me to not want to support what is, I agree, an inflated price. Kudos to their marketing department.

That said, I\'m glad to hear most everyone holds Schema in such high regards and that the future of Starmade sounds very guaranteed. BTW - loving the 0.14 patch. Totally relit my interest in the game.

Reaction score
    Kind of ironic you brought this back up, since Space Engineers also has multiplayer now...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are there planets in SE? Flying around for hours all I see are rocks, so SE is only about mining rocks? What\'s the fun in that?

I think the fun part is, that ship parts are smaller / more detailed and physics of rotors, etc.

I just miss SE\'s build tools, remote control of controllables and the focus on a first-person viewpoint.

And small blocks for more details.

Reaction score
    Mass Effect. They didnt add multiplayer till ME3, but by then it didnt mean much.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    starmade wasn\'t 15$ when it was new, and it still isn\'t

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    4-5 years ago i couldn\'t spell at all when it came to english, but i had no problems reading english. It is OK to make assumptions but be polite about it or you\'re only going to make yourself look bad.