BE WARE OF SPACE ENGINEER!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ive recently purchesed space engineer off steam for 15 bucks -tax

after 20 mins of playing it, turns out to be nothing different from starmade except being striped of many features which starmade already have.

the reason why i decided to try out space eng is because, as it happened, the inability to thrust in any gawd daym direction i gawd daym want really bugs me because the gawd daym space is about gawd dayme FREEDOMEEEEEE!!! 'MURICA!.

cant turn fast. no directional thrusting. (if you want to know exactly why i need this so much, pm me i will send you a 2000 word essay explaining me reasons)

from the trailers in space eng, it seems that they have just what i need, directional trusting. but like most of me dreams, they got crushed in to tiny pieces.

the so called "directional thrusting" in space eng is limited to ALONG 3 axis. you CAN'T create moment by straping big ass thrusters pointing to the right on a long ass beam sticking out front and expect your rig to turn like crazy, nope, just like starmade, turn rates and pitch rate and etc is exclusively dictated by the total mass of your ship, hard coded.

however space eng doesnt allow mine craft physics. no free floating blocks without connections, guess thats is the only minor upside to space eng.

in conclusion:

space eng be a shiny striped down version of star made as of now. 15 bucks is well above the worth of the handful textures and models.

discliamers:

of course i do reserve the right to be wrong.

---------------------------------------

what you are going to get out of the 15 bucks at the moment from space eng:

-better graphics

-crash simulator

the last but the most important point is:

- a promise of a good game (seems much better than starmade)

the dev team keen software house have a questionable past with their previous game miner wars.

they promised a lot, good ideas, realized little.

for a rather expensive alpha (alpha is far streched it should be called a demo alpha), the space eng have very little content. it is a one trick pony, other than the crash sim, there is nothing unique about it at this point. other than more promises such as icons for items that doesnt exist and models for component that cant be used.

out of the 15 bucks you need to pay, 14 is for the promise from a develop team with a shady past.

if you were go on their forums for space eng, their dev have posted a poll asking people what made them buy their game. it shows that 1, they dont have a clear vision of the future of their game and 2, they focus more on what spikes people interesting at a glance.

of course, there is a good chance that their dev team is in fact as good as their advertising team, and that their past with miner wars were really just misunderstandings.

but its just too easy for space eng to be a money grab.

it would take years before space eng to become what they advertised it to be capable of becoming, seeing how basic the game is at this point. so really, unless you expect the game to cost 100 bucks when it comes out, you are spending 15 bucks for a lego crash sim for the currently relevant time period.

so there you go i have took one for the team, now send me a free starmade key.

again my opinions are unavoidblely biased because i do regret paying 15 bucks for something with no present worth, high risk, long growth period, bad investment indeed.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I\'m definitely looking forward to what the folks at Space Engineers bring to the table later on. Of course it looks shabby right now, they\'re just getting started, much like Schema.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    shamelessly ripped from /vg/

Keen Software isn’t a company to be trusted at all. This is a company as bad as EA. Keen Software started making Miner Wars 2081 several years ago and let people pre-order it. The game was advertised as an open-world sandbox with a dynamic economy, and the ability to build lots of cool shit like secret bases in asteroids and space stations. KS also claimed that the community would be very involved in the development of the game. They lied.

Then, it just degraded into the usual “grab the money and run” deal. Throughout the entire development process, the game never really changed from what it was in the first early access alpha build. They started trying to turn it around and make it seem as if the community just misunderstood the initial description of the game by doing things like saying building is already in the game and pointing to the shitty map editor which was supposed to just be a placeholder system.

KS kind of got away with that, too. People were mad, and confused, but not pointing fingers yet. Then they added the campaign. No one wanted the fucking campaign as it was taking the game in the wrong direction. KS didn’t give a fuck, and this led to people attacking KS directly.

Keen’s response was to try to save face by apologizing and promising they would fix it. Except instead of fixing it, they marked it as done, released it, and told their community to suck it up and give them more money for their next game, all while advertising the game as an arcade arena shooter in space.

TL;DR
    Browse the old forums for even 2 minutes and you will see what I am talking about. Go back to really old posts (like 6+months) and you’ll REALLY see what I’m talking about.

The game as it is right now is painful to play. Build mechanics are there, but unpolished. Speeds are strange and feel off. I wish I hadn\'t spent money on this because I sincerely have my doubts. Do not spend money on this game.

That\'s the big reason I wouldn\'t recommend buy space engineers. I wouldn\'t spend money on it at all until they deliver the features they promised. Also interesting to note is that someone mentioned that the current engine doesn\'t actually support multiplayer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    when u can play something better and more developed ( except less pretty ) for 5 bucks!!! Starmade FTW.

actually its still free which make it even better

Reaction score
    Space Engineers is basically a space ship crash simulator at this current time. Sure it\'s really shiny but that\'s it at this point.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If anyone hasn\'t realised, myltiplayer is the key to any good game. Think about it. In Halo, Call of Duty, and even, though it was absolutely terrible, Battiefield 3 campaigns, once you kill the bad guy, disarm the nuke, or blow up another ring, that\'s the end. No point picking up the game again. But, there is the magic word- MULTIPLAYER!!! Any good game has some form of multiplayer in it. Halo- forge mode/slayer, CoD- whatever the heck that bitchfest of a teamchat is, and BF, and its vehicles. Minecraft has multiplayer, too. In fact, think of a single game that sold well, and was a big hit title that didn\'t have multiplayer. Not only was StarMade designed around teamwork and multiplayer, but it has everything, or will have everything, most of us have ever wanted, the reason we downloaded this game in the first place- the ability to build something, and actually have it DO something. This, combined with the creativity, easy to understand mechanics, and exceptional alpha-stage multiplayer are what make this game great. I, perspnally, think StarMade is the next minecraft. So, by definition, we\'re all hipsters. Good day.

-F. Debris, DFN

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the fact that games like space engineer are on steam headline and game like starmade are still waiting on green light. makes me think that steam is a vendor of promise not product. do they not care at all the quality of the games they are carrying?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    the fact that games like space engineer are on steam headline and game like starmade are still waiting on green light

Wrong assumption. Starmade is Greenlit.

I am not aware of Space Engineers\' devteam history - if what\'s written here is true, supporting them does warrant reconsideration. However, their product as of so far does offer a few nice features and has a chance of becoming a decent game. I would be worried if there\'s no multiplayer but I am quite sure that was one of the core features that\'s being worked on. We\'ll see how it\'ll turn out after some time - neither building hype nor starting angry mob routines will be good till then.

As for OP and what he\'s disappointed for - consider writing a mail to developers, stating what you hoped for and what is lacking. Sometimes such may really turn things around. Though make sure you pay attention to interpunction, spelling and so on - it was hard to get through your post without taking a break and you don\'t want devteam to do the same.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i dont see how picking on my spelling and interpunction have anything to do with the validity of my opinion. i dont see anyother possibility, than you implying that i am poorly educated or lack care in my writing hence my ideas must have no grounds.

i have written this post intending to let others know my expriences with space engineer. with some analysis and observations i hope to help others in deciding whether or not they should purchase the game.

as i have mentioned i am biased to start, i didnt write this as a journal report, but a review.

from what i have read of you, i have concluded that you believe my opinion is worthless of sharing, it holds no ground or good intention and suggest me to take it to the developers instead of posting it here, but i beg your pardon as stopping one form sharing ideas and opinions on a forum hardly seems more virtuous than my poorly worded review.

you have started your comment with picking on one of my mistakes due to my carelessness and ended it with an insult to my writing, i wonder what is your intention?

Reaction score
    Think of any non-open world game without multiplayer that sold well. I can\'t think of any.

Reaction score
    I am unsure how you took that comment to be anything other than correcting something untrue that you had said and suggesting a way to possibly correct this issues that you have identified by presenting them to the developers.

Presentation is a large part of arguing your point effectively, which leads to another suggestion: if you write said letter, try to do it in a collected, unemotional way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The game is their attempt at redeeming themselves, it\'s so bare bones because it\'s so early in alpha they are still trying to distill the miner wars elements from the game and get down to the pure engine level, supposedly they will add in features that were previously removed from it when it made the shift from miner wars. Even though this company screwed over the people, you guys are being extremely quick to bash another game in alpha, which is basically pre functional stages. A few years ago alphas and betas that were public were non existent, and now many companies are trying to test the water.

I will admit that currently space engineers is extremely barren and gets boring fast, but didn\'t starmade have a similiar start?

Reaction score
    While space engineer is a great game from what I have seen, I doubt it will eber be able to be as moddable as starmade can be. Even reaching the level of modability that starmade has atm which is both easy and gives a lot of options is something you won\'t see in many games.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    The fact that they have the gall to charge $15 for a game that is incomplete as that one does not garner any faith from me.

Reaction score
    GTAs, Tomb Raider, Super Meat Boy, XCom, etc etc...

Considering Space Enginers is an open world(s?) game and will have multiplayer I don\'t see how your comment makes any sense in this thread.