Asteroid-themed space station: Ores?

MythrilJelly

Crazy Cat Lady
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    So, I've tried building on asteroid before and they're either too small, easy to knock around when docking, or just having issues with their mechanics. So this time I've built a rather large Sugil asteroid station with a fancy docking bay and a nice interior. Problem is, no matter how I construct it, the shell doesn't pass as natural since there's no ore whatsoever and I can't place them. I've been using creative mode, so I've tried commands, attempting to save the tutorial station, clicking blocks with ore, etc. I've seen them placed on ships/stations (Tutorial station, Trading Guild Freighter outside said station) Is there a way to do this I'm missing? If not that's okay, I understand the game is still in development. It'd just be a shame if I was overlooking something to help decorate the rather plain Sugil exterior.

Anyways, thanks!

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    So you're trying to place ores on a Sugil asteroid? If there's no natural ores (or did you mine them?) then leave it.
    Otherwise you'll need a new asteroid with ores, there's no ore available as far as I know.
    And yeah, they're not good station material. However, if you were to link several of them through use of force-docking chains via an intermediary ship, you might be able to increase mass enough (or just dock them to a small spacestation) to keep them steady. Or just have a mobile space station. Which'd be nice.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    that is..a good point,I didnt even notice that ores are missing in creative mode tab :/

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hmm commands were your only bet.

I don't think there is any other plausible way.

MythrilJelly

Crazy Cat Lady
    Reaction score
    So you're trying to place ores on a Sugil asteroid? If there's no natural ores (or did you mine them?) then leave it.
    Otherwise you'll need a new asteroid with ores, there's no ore available as far as I know.
    And yeah, they're not good station material. However, if you were to link several of them through use of force-docking chains via an intermediary ship, you might be able to increase mass enough (or just dock them to a small spacestation) to keep them steady. Or just have a mobile space station. Which'd be nice.
    It's a space station built from scratch, because I was frustrated with asteroid mechanics. The outer hull is a natural-looking layer of Sugil to make it appear as an asteroid. The docking chains are definitely something I have yet to think of though, gives me some ideas at least! Need to test if asteroid docking chains are saved with a station/ship's blueprint, if they are that would solve some problems.

I'm still going to construct the station though, since it's already around half done. If they add the ability to place ores in the future I suppose I could go back and add them in, and update it's post here later.

Here's what it looks like so far, ignore my salvager behind it.

sugil wip.jpg

Reaction score
    Sweet, I like it. I'll have to test that now. Time to break from finishing that dang cruiser build I've had going for 3-4 weeks and just haven't had the will to finish and have some fun with saving crap... lol!
    I do not think a docked asteroid would save, if it's even possible to forcedock it using magnetic docking. I'll try it, cause I've always wanted an asteroid station, just a bunch of'em concealing my base.... aww yeah, it'd be awesome.

MythrilJelly

Crazy Cat Lady
    Reaction score
    Tried, heh. Apparently we still can't dock on asteroids. Was worth a shot!

(Edit: Okay. Apparently you just have to get super close, as in the docking module touching it, didn't save though. Was also worth a shot!)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's a space station built from scratch, because I was frustrated with asteroid mechanics. The outer hull is a natural-looking layer of Sugil to make it appear as an asteroid. The docking chains are definitely something I have yet to think of though, gives me some ideas at least! Need to test if asteroid docking chains are saved with a station/ship's blueprint, if they are that would solve some problems.

I'm still going to construct the station though, since it's already around half done. If they add the ability to place ores in the future I suppose I could go back and add them in, and update it's post here later.

Here's what it looks like so far, ignore my salvager behind it.

View attachment 24764
    That looks pretty damn cool.

MythrilJelly

Crazy Cat Lady
    Reaction score
    That looks pretty damn cool.
    You should see the interior! Heh. I suppose until I can finish this I'll upload the last station I finished in the meantime. Just need to update it a bit. It's big, but a little too big for my Singleplayer homebase.

GO2.PNG

Anyways, I should get back on topic. The asteroid here! Base above doesn't need to be coated in ores. Probably out of options on that though, I'd been looking up commands and didn't find anything ore-related. I understand they're sort of a "decal" rather than their own blocks, so I suppose that's why they aren't available in creative: not using a block's default ID.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You should see the interior! Heh. I suppose until I can finish this I'll upload the last station I finished in the meantime. Just need to update it a bit. It's big, but a little too big for my Singleplayer homebase.

View attachment 24774

Anyways, I should get back on topic. The asteroid here! Base above doesn't need to be coated in ores. Probably out of options on that though, I'd been looking up commands and didn't find anything ore-related. I understand they're sort of a "decal" rather than their own blocks, so I suppose that's why they aren't available in creative: not using a block's default ID.
    Stop your making me jealous seriously. I'm going to have steal that station and use it lol

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here it is. Feel free to steal it and use it as you see fit! ;D
    Grand Obelisk
    The Grand Obelisk has an interior room that is physically mirrored with a circuit floor. I think that is terrific, because it is a great way to simulate a reflecting floor. Awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe that the ores use the rotation bits.
    How to check:
    Go up to an asteroid. Look at an ore block and hit right-shift. It will display the block type, block location, orientation, logic state, etc.
    Two ways to implement it that I can think of are using copy-paste on an ore block, or placing down another cube block in the correct orientation and replacing the block with the colored dirt.

MythrilJelly

Crazy Cat Lady
    Reaction score
    I believe that the ores use the rotation bits.
    How to check:
    Go up to an asteroid. Look at an ore block and hit right-shift. It will display the block type, block location, orientation, logic state, etc.
    Two ways to implement it that I can think of are using copy-paste on an ore block, or placing down another cube block in the correct orientation and replacing the block with the colored dirt.
    You know... I've never even tried this game's copy/paste because I couldn't figure it out! I just turn symmetry on/off a lot. Since I haven't tried this I'm definitely going to hop right on and give this a shot! Thanks!

(Edit: Tried. Figured out how to copy/pase, but when pasted it is a normal mineral block. Was worth a shot too! I do get the "[WARNING] UNKNOWN SIDE 12" message however. Only block I can find going near that high is a hull wedge tilted on it's side, goes to 11. Can't find a direct replace option either, would I need to use some sort of dev tool or external editor then? If that's the case I give up.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    i do agree, the ability to place down ore blocks in build mode (creative) should be "normal"