Ask Comr4de - OR, How I Met the Arstotzkan Emperor

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I have dogs but I also like cats. I had a cat when I was much younger. MY neighbors did not like cats, and so they put out catnip mixed with snail poison. Needless to say, the HOA for our neighborhood was not very amused. Nor were my parents, or myself, but that's a different story.

I feel that in a perfect world, you should be able to have an effective combat ship while also looking good. Unfortunately, you can sacrifice either one to max out the other. No matter what we do, there are always going to be power gamers. The best thing we can do is advocate for a balance of ship effectiveness and aesthetic. I know that I didn't really answer the question but it's a dilemma that has no clear-cut solution.
    Actually, if hull/armor/deco blocks affected ship performance (hp system) and we had a proper turning system (inertia based) two ships of equal mass would have the same potential for performance. I feel like a mistake some people do is to judge a ship's power by it's dimentions. Mass is a much more accurate measurement. Already, a 50k mass good looking ship will more or less equal a brick, the only disadvantages being the useless armor and worse turning. The thing with bricks is that they usually appear to be the same size as an other ship but they're a couple times the mass, due to how dense they are (and 100000 times easier/faster to make).

Sorry for getting off topic there. ON TOPIC; What do you think of the starmade community? How would you compare it to communities of other more main-stream games, such as COD or minecraft?

The questions are pretty personal, don't answer them if you don't want to.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    While that is another flattering statement, it still doesn't answer my question. It explains why you would/might vote for me, but not the reverse(unless you expect a "what you did to me, that shall I do to you" policy from my side) :p
    You should vote for me if you think I would do a good job representing you in the council. I could sit here all day and talk about how unbelievably handsome I am, how STRONK at combat I am, or that I'm simply better than the other council members. However, who I am matters relatively little. What you should be looking at is how well I can communicate the ideas of others, and how well I work with others. It's one thing to be able to promote your own thoughts effectively; that's awesome if you can, but that's not what this job is about. This is a job to represent and communicate. What leadership exists will probably be derived from the charisma of being elected to the council in the first place.

My plan of action if elected is probably going to be inline with the council roles laid down by duke, namely the following:
    • Seek opinions from the community on ideas and suggestions, issues and concerns, and present them to the dev team for consideration.
    • Hold public and private forum discussions on key ideas and issues in order to deliberate and decide what the community thinks to be the best course of action.
    I really think that defenses need a bit of tweaking. Shields are close, armor is on the horizon, but radar jam and cloak still need a lot of work. I intend to work with the community and see what they want from a revamp to those systems. Although hull has been discussed repeatedly (and so has shields) I think that there's still some discussion to be had about how these defensive effects can interact better with the myriad combinations of weapons we have, especially when I see so many interesting suggestions on the forum. I hope to collate and gather these suggestions into one topic that can hash out how we really want these to work and interact with the universe.

My other topic is in regards to resource acquisition. We've reached a point where mining is worthwhile, however it's still difficult to find certain materials within asteroids. This leads players to exploit planets to feed their economic juggernauts. Unfortunately, this KILLS the server. I've seen some suggestions that would still allow mining planets as a lazy, easy option for reasources, while still making controlling planets worthwhile. Right now, all planets are good for is target practice, strip-mining, and creative building. 99% of the time, you are better off making your home on a station. I hope to promote and facilitate further discussion about how planets can be useful beyond that.
    BACK TO Master_Artificer 's post

6) Euuugh I don't like telling people how big or small they can build their ship, but I'd definitely love to see the capital ship size be capped off around 100k mass. Anything larger should be supercapital.

7)

8) Third year criminal justice student. After this, I'm either going to work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (prison system) or Child Protective Services while waiting for a police academy slot to open up.

9)I've read a lot of Orson Scott Card, Philip K. Dick, and Robert Heinlein. As far as movies and TV...
    SPOILERS ALL BELOW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1-syWY1PjA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-yu5QiZjBQ

10) I'm not holding my breath. There are a lot of very qualified people, and some not-so qualified with a massive cult following. If I get in, I'll be happy. If I don't I'll run again next time. If I don't get in that time, I feel that the community will have been very clear that I am not their choice of representative haha.

11)
    How crazy ar- Ahem. Do you believe we landed on the moon? Have you watch the Apollo documentary videos made by NASA? (they are like 20 minutes long each, made in the 1970's.) What is your stance on climate change? Do you think republican governors banning discussion of climate change in their office's will finally rid the globe of this threat? Is it a threat? Do you believe that political scientists that are paid to write bogus articles (happens on both sides) could be the main cause of American's distrust in Science?
    I'm going to pass on this one except for: we landed on the moon.

What do you think of the starmade community? How would you compare it to communities of other more main-stream games, such as COD or minecraft?
    There isn't really just one central community. The forums is just one part of this greater community. As far as the forums go, however, I feel that there is a good sense of camaraderie and brotherhood. Everyone generally gets along and there's a lot of civil discussion.

ARTIFICER I'M ALMOST DONE, I SWEAR. these are going up now.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Alright, last call for questions. I'm going to publish the last of the answers from artificer's post tonight. After that my schedule for this week will make it too hectic to keep up with this thread.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Master_Artificer, here's the last batch. Sorry it's taken so long, but I'm ramping up to finals and have a program I'm putting on next week so the pressure has been a bit high.
    How much of an astronomer are you? What do you think of Pluto?
    Pluto is a bit small to be considered a "planet", especially since its own satellites are almost as large as it is.

I am taking astronomy in the fall to satisfy a gen. ed requirement, so I'll get back to you then.

What kind of mouse do you use? If you were to upgrade, what would you use? What is your computer setup right now?
    I'll uh. I'll plead the fifth on this. My setup is not very ideal for gaming or anything really. Only some choice upgrades have kept it running this long. However, it works. I'm probably going to start putting money towards a new computer starting this summer. I've held off because of car payments.

If you were a meme, what would it be? What is your favorite meme? Reaction image? What is your least favorite? What do you find most annoying?
    No, none of them, none of them, all of them.

Why were you the first one to post one of these threads? What do you think about these questions? Am I doing it right?
    The whole point of the council is to get feedback/information from the community. I figured this would be the best way to show initiative and actually get that feedback.

Alright, that's it. I won't have any time to answer any more until friday afternoon. In the meantime, be sure to vote if you already haven't.