Ask Comr4de - OR, How I Met the Arstotzkan Emperor

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Who are you even
    I'm Comr4de. I'm running for council and I want to take some time to talk to/answer questions for the community. Looking at my application now I'm not very satisfied with what I wrote; I could've expanded a lot more on what I intended to say.

What is this thread and why?

While it's good to know who your candidates are, I feel that it's even more important to know who the people will be voting are. This position is a representative position; the opinions/thoughts that I may be presenting in the council (if elected) are not just my own, but also those of the community. Failing to recognize that and focusing purely on promoting myself would not serve me well.

With my run for council, I figured I'd post a short QnA thread for y'all to ask me what I plan to do and how I intend to do it. I also want to try to use these questions to find out where the priorities of the community really are. I already have a basic touch on it but I want to expand on this as much as possible.

OR, anything you'd like to know. I'll answer any question honestly within the bounds of civility on here. I really don't want to call in mods to clean anything up but I'm hoping that everyone will behave well enough to do so.

How are you doing this?
    Every day at 4PM GMT-6 I'll collect all questions answered prior. I'll type out the answers and post them up as soon as possible. I'll be doing this from now until the end of the elections.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Who is your daddy? And what does he do?

Just kidding. My real question is what have you done in starmade?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    what is your favourite type of cake?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    If you were to be elected, and you would be able to freely choose the remaining council from the applicants, who would you choose with which priority?(as the amount of seats in the council isn't determined yet)
    And why would you choose them?

(I know this isn't how the votes will work, but it still is a question :P )

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Your idea is good and grants you thalanor points (can not be exchanged for real currency. Are revokable. Value not covered by gold).

Please order the following items in terms of "should be tackled before the others".
    (NOTE: This list does NOT exclusively represent stuff I want to see in the game ASAP. I just like to know a candidate's priorities, because any realist knows you can't tackle alot at once, and some points require other points to be finished first in order to be useful to their full potential)

- Planetary resource acquisition and factional economy
    - Further large object optimization, improvement of effective logic update distance
    - Integration of RP/interior/crew into meaningful game mechanics
    - Additional astronaut mode content, including equipment
    - Graphical weapons update: better scaling of visual FX, explosions, smoke, particles, "battle flair"
    - Mechanical weapons and systems update: Improvement and/or niche-finding for underused weapon/system combinations
    - Single player content for both servers and actual localhost (mobs, NPCs, missions, trade)
    - Fleet control (of varying depth; at least some basic commands like follow, protect and similar)

(Happy to not have to add rails, turrets and docking to the list).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Surprise! I'm answering them now.

Why should I vote for you, and what do you plan to actually do?
    You should vote for me if you think I would do a good job representing you in the council. I could sit here all day and talk about how unbelievably handsome I am, how STRONK at combat I am, or that I'm simply better than the other council members. However, who I am matters relatively little. What you should be looking at is how well I can communicate the ideas of others, and how well I work with others. It's one thing to be able to promote your own thoughts effectively; that's awesome if you can, but that's not what this job is about. This is a job to represent and communicate. What leadership exists will probably be derived from the charisma of being elected to the council in the first place.

My plan of action if elected is probably going to be inline with the council roles laid down by duke, namely the following:
    • Seek opinions from the community on ideas and suggestions, issues and concerns, and present them to the dev team for consideration.
    • Hold public and private forum discussions on key ideas and issues in order to deliberate and decide what the community thinks to be the best course of action.
    I really think that defenses need a bit of tweaking. Shields are close, armor is on the horizon, but radar jam and cloak still need a lot of work. I intend to work with the community and see what they want from a revamp to those systems. Although hull has been discussed repeatedly (and so has shields) I think that there's still some discussion to be had about how these defensive effects can interact better with the myriad combinations of weapons we have, especially when I see so many interesting suggestions on the forum. I hope to collate and gather these suggestions into one topic that can hash out how we really want these to work and interact with the universe.

My other topic is in regards to resource acquisition. We've reached a point where mining is worthwhile, however it's still difficult to find certain materials within asteroids. This leads players to exploit planets to feed their economic juggernauts. Unfortunately, this KILLS the server. I've seen some suggestions that would still allow mining planets as a lazy, easy option for reasources, while still making controlling planets worthwhile. Right now, all planets are good for is target practice, strip-mining, and creative building. 99% of the time, you are better off making your home on a station. I hope to promote and facilitate further discussion about how planets can be useful beyond that.

Who is your daddy? And what does he do?
    He's an advertising executive who also produces a home improvement radio show.
    My real question is what have you done in starmade?
    Oh, crap. Now I feel silly. :p

I'll answer this with my proudest achievements; I think they are the best representations of what I've accomplished in my time as a part of this community. If I don't answer satisfactorily, please, elaborate on your question.

1) The original Arstotzkan Confederacy. Those guys were some of the best I've ever played with. During the time it existed ( 3-4 months ) we grew to be the largest faction on NASS, and collected some of the more inspired players I've ever met. After we went inactive the few of us that stuck around managed to do some ridiculous stuff. Best examples of this when four of us in ~7k mass frigates with drone fighters managed to break through the DFN defense line during the "final battle" and kill FlyingDebris himself (no hard feelings). Many of the core members of the Confederacy are actually still part of the group today.

The reason the faction came to exist in the first place was as an entry for players from Blockland to learn how to play StarMade with friends. It's branched out to also include /vg/ since then, plus the necrotic nature of BLF has kind of resulted in a very obvious demographic shift.

2) I was part of the tester staff for a little while (3-4 months). The reason this is one of my proudest achievements is because I was able to contribute to testing the forums we use now, and remained a tester during the transition/introduction of AndyP (meaning I was at least actually testing the game). I wish I could be more precise, but I'm having trouble finding the exact date that I was "hired" and when I "quit". I ended up quitting that for a couple of reasons. The big one was that I was dealing with an 18 hour semester, two jobs, and I had just started a position as a Resident Assistant at my university. These factors resulted in me not being able to get much done. I didn't feel that it would be fair to keep the title without doing any of the legwork, so I quit.

3) The one achievement I am most proud of was running the NASS hardcore server. It was run by BDLS and myself, with gameplay somewhat similar to what we have today. Rewind about a year and this was revolutionary. Fixed recipes, buy with blocks, zero friction, complete inventory drop on death, and disabling shop spawning ENTIRELY made for a radically different and much more difficult player experience. It was popular for a short time but it became increasingly difficult to maintain (every update required re-writing the blockconfig.txt) and dwindling server population caused BDLS and I to kill the project. However, the people who did play enjoyed the server immensely. The big turn off for players was when they got killed by a pirate and dropped all their salvage, haha.

what is your favourite type of cake?
    This is a hard one. It's probably going to be bundt-style cakes.

I'm also impartial to Pink Velvet cake from ruggles green. It's like red velvet, but instead of chocolate it's strawberry. :eek:

If you were to be elected, and you would be able to freely choose the remaining council from the applicants, who would you choose with which priority?(as the amount of seats in the council isn't determined yet)
    And why would you choose them?
    Oh god, I'm going to be judged eternally for these answers, aren't I?

I'm going to go with a theoretical 8 players on the council. That's 1/6 (roughly) of the players who applied, and I think that's a good number of councillors. Minus myself, the seven I would choose would be the following:

MrFURB - He does his job, and manages to stay a likable human being as he does it. Plus, he's good with people. If he isn't elected I'll be legitimately shocked. Also he's from Texas so I gotta watch out for my Texan brothers.
    Pi-Rex - I really appreciated his initiative with the combat guide he's been curating. This demonstrates a marked interest in helping new players defeat the INCREDIBLY daunting learning curve this game has with combat.
    therimmer96 - If you're in trouble he will save the day... He's one of the Admins on Elwyn, and he's active on the forums. I mention the adminship on Elwyn because it's currently the top-ranked server and one of the most populous. I swear, I'm not shilling for EE, but I think he'd be a good representative of such a large concentration of players.
    Dalmont - He's one of the artistic ship builders who can take criticism worth a damn. I'm not going to go into my shpiel here, but when you're dealing with the public, being able to stand up to criticism, and be able to learn from it, is a invaluable skill.
    Crusade - He's one of my top choices as council member anyways. His music is generally pretty good, and he gets along with most of the community.
    Vanhelzing - Active on the forums and helpful with new players. Accurate EVE ships are a huge plus.
    Sven_the_slayer - Also active on forums, he's done a fair bit of (awesome) work with logic, and helped teach others how to use it.
    EDIT: I would've answered you but you asked the question so you were disqualified :P sorry. Although in all honesty, it would be awesome to have someone on the council who understood the game's code

I like to think that this would give a decent cross-section of the community here. The most important thing I was looking for here is experience interacting with the community, and I mean actual interaction beyond simply providing content.

6 - Planetary resource acquisition and factional economy
    1 - Large object and logic (+ update distance) optimization
    3 - Integration of RP/interior/crew into meaningful game mechanics
    4 - Additional astronaut mode content, including equipment
    7 - Graphical weapons update: better scaling of visual FX, explosions, smoke, particles, "battle flair"
    2 - Mechanical weapons and systems update: Improvement and/or niche-finding for underused weapon/system combinations
    5 - Single player content for both servers and actual localhost (mobs, NPCs, missions, trade)
    8 - Fleet control (of varying depth; at least some basic commands like follow, protect and similar)
    I've numbered the topics in the quote in order of importance, with 1 being critical, and 8 being most minor. I'll note that three and four can be interchangeable, as they both relate to one another. I feel bad about putting Fleet control last (I can think of MANY times in the past month that such AI/player commands would have been useful) but everything else is more important. I'll also note that I put singleplayer content in the bottom half, but I'm biased towards multiplayer anyways. In a creative game, I find the most enjoyment comes from sharing creations with others.

Last edited:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    What's your political position regarding gigantism ?
    (PS: Consider "gigantism" the usage of ships over ~1 million mass)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Heh, funny story about Endgame...

As an event, it both succeeded wonderfully and FAILED MISERABLY. Yeah there were 30+ people in attendance, but the server performance was...subpar. As to the 7k mass ships, yeah I could believe that. Nobody in DFN really knew what happened, what with all the lag, so chances are half the guys you flew by were DC'ed. (I actually straight up couldn't participate in the battle because of the lag but I won't spoil your moment.)

I'd love to organize a massive battle like that again, get the whole thing on camera. JUST IMAGINE ALL THE NEW PEOPLE IT WOULD BRING! Thanks to Schema's wonderful job, the game could almost certainly handle it now.

Whazzat? Quesstins? I dun need none o yer quesstins. GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA! LONG LIVE 10,000 YEAR REICH! ;-;7;-;7;-;7

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    i have but one question

How can one Supreme Emperor 4 Life be so based?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I wasn't aware that Emperors were elected ;P

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    title should be "Ask Comr4de - OR, How I Met the Tartaran Emperor"
    Instead :p

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    What's your political position regarding gigantism ?
    (PS: Consider "gigantism" the usage of ships over ~1 million mass)
    I don't think that we'll ever be able to completely kill gigantism. I like how gameplay has been leaning further and further towards limiting the financial viability of these monstrosities. I don't want to kill them completely, but I would love to see them far more expensive to acquire. I think it was day 2 after the EE reset that Joel was able to acquire another box titan. I'll admit that was compounded by a couple other factors, but still really not acceptable. I'd also love to find some way to make them more vulnerable to attack (because right now the only realistic way to kill one is to match them in terms of mass), while not reducing their effectiveness on the battlefield.

What I'm feeling as a candidate right now. I'm sure that applies to the others as well. I bet you forgot about that pic hmmm?

You get my vote, gg.
    FUCK I actually did. Looks like that has to go into the signature for a couple of weeks now.

Explain your fascination with Quasi-Marxism.
    Indeed it is a fascination. Russian blood. I like the color red. That's how it started at a tender age of 13.

In all seriousness, it really just comes from the image and idea of the red army and the patriotic images associated with them. Plus, for the majority of their history the Soviet Union rightfully felt under threat from the west. That sort of siege mentality really spoke to me as an angsty teen going through a lot of family drama. I'm not going to elaborate on that further because it's very personal.

I'm also a strong believer in the class warfare model. There are plenty of anecdotal evidences that support it throughout modern history. However, I'm still considering the economic ramifications. There's a lot to be discussed there. People say that Marxism is a dead philosophy (in 'murrica) while also discussing the re-apportionment of wealth. While saying that some classes are oppressed by the rich, landowning rulers. It's honestly a fascinating political theory that has its own merits.

However, if you do want to discuss Soviet history/philosophy with me further, just shoot me a PM or add me on steam/skype.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1428970880,1428970777][/DOUBLEPOST]WHOOPS, I missed one
    i have but one question

How can one Supreme Emperor 4 Life be so based?
    Eat your school, don't do vitamins, and don't skip drugs

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    god bless arstotzka

vote for supreme leader comrades, there is no better choice

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cheap 40pt tank will be made the state religion yes?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9

What I'm feeling as a candidate right now. I'm sure that applies to the others as well. I bet you forgot about that pic hmmm?

You get my vote, gg.
    We all do feel like that, friend. We all do...
    Yet I'll wait for more people to show themselves before considering anything