Ares mod

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Howdy,
    Sorry for the long response time.

I'm working on implementing all the mentioned features. I plan to release with several different maps with various combinations of the featues we talked about here. The hope is to offer a lot of flexibility to what the engine can do, and get an idea on how people like the different concepts.

I'll see if I can create some cover that makes sense. Currently thinking a junkyard style map with a lot of stuff floating around.

I like the idea of pirates defending the mining locations. I'll need to play with it to see if I can make it work right though.

A king of the hill style map could work. Though I'd perfer to focus on the main game mode at this time. though.

Thanks for the thoughts, back to work :)

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cover is not really needed. This is a space game after all, and space is generally empty. In real life, even in the densest parts of Earth's asteroid belt or even the gas giants' rings, the average distance between asteroids is measured in hundreds or thousands of kilometers. The rest is science fiction imagination.
    Also, floating junk, unless decayed, might be used as resource if someone brings in a support ship with a salvage array, or even just boards one as astronaut. Might not want to have too much of that around. A dense asteroid field on the other hand...

But I don't think you should strain your brain too much over the maps, those are like the paint job on a car. Will make it look better, might actually add value, but it's not what makes it run.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Well there is a way to add cover in space but it would mean cluttering up the map with asteroids and other things to get in the way. Natural cover is the best type of cover in a space game's case.

As for the issue of what to do about limiting this to a specific area on the server why not cordon off a whole solar system for the battle event area and just clear things from there. Nothing gets in or out without a command anything trying to pass through the barrier from the outside starts taking damage until destroyed, same thing for those that fly outside the system from within it. Only way to get in or out is by command or a specific sign up/out point(s) around the edge of the system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Howdy Guys,
    I'm still looking into isolating Ares from the rest of a server, so that you could have a normal server with this on the side. I have a few thoughts, but would like to get the current model in perfect condition first. There are a few problems that need to be solved, but trust me, I'll do my best to 'find a way'. I plan to release without this feature, and add it at a later date. I'll consider it a milestone for the next major release.

One of the largest goals of this project is to be flexible. So I've added the ability for a map maker to add debries should they feel it is neccissary. In general I agree with you, but I like think it could add some flair. If people hate it, admins can choose to not have maps with it. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    When can we expect to seem some screen shots or a release of the map editor? I feel like that kind of thing is the perfect way to make all servers better now that asteroids don't respawn. Owners could make special "Rich Solar Systems" which would be a hotspot for factional warfare.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok Guys,
    I have completed several feature requests, fixed a few bugs and did some polishing based on the last round of tests. I believe it's ready for testing again.

I plan to open up the server between 1pm MST and 5pm MST on Saterday Oct 17. Hope to see you guys there!

Changes to Ares:
    - !status can be used to just select bases or control points as well as everything !status base, will list only bases, and !status control will only list control points
    - The map configuration now supports pirate defenders, and factioned defenders (for when you take a control point), and doodads.
    - map configuration now supports the ability to change the faction of stations you claim when you claim them (note that this won't happen unless specifically set to do so on the map)
    - Code refactoring (shouldn't notice anything different in game)
    - Reworked the logging system

Created a few other plugins for StarD that will be available during this test. Here's what they do:
    - !help added (listing all available commands on the server)
    - !get - Will allow you to get rocket launchers, grapples, etc without costing you anything
    - Little things to make things smoother, Check !help when you loging to see all that's available.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1444787188,1444786007][/DOUBLEPOST]I won't set an exact release date, just that it's very soon.

I'm afraid I don't really have a map editor per say. All maps are just ini files.

Simple Example: tug_of_war.map:
    Code:
    [Alpha_base]
    sector = '6 0 -17'
    blueprint = 'Ares Home Base'
    type = 'station'
    value = 1
    owner = 1
    objective = 1
    can_capture = 0
    home = 1

[Beta_base]
    sector ='-6 0 0'
    blueprint = 'Ares Home Base'
    type = 'station'
    value = 1
    owner = 2
    objective = 1
    can_capture = 0
    home = 1

[mining_station_alpha1]
    sector = '6 0 -14'
    blueprint = 'Ares Mining Outpost'
    type = 'station'
    value = 0.5
    owner = -2
    objective = 0
    can_capture = 1

[mining_station_beta1]
    sector = '-6 0 -3'
    type = 'station'
    value = 0.5
    owner   = -2
    objective = 0
    can_capture = 1

[mining_station_alpha2]
    sector = '1 0 -12'
    type = 'station'
    value = 0.5
    owner   = -2
    objective = 0
    can_capture = 1

[mining_station_beta2]
    sector = '-1 0 -6'
    type = 'station'
    value = 0.5
    owner = -2
    objective = 0
    can_capture = 1

Complex Example: one of the junkyard stations for the junkyard map
    Code:
    [recycler_alpha1]
    sector = 3 0 3
    type = 'station'
    value = 0.5
    owner = -2
    objective = 0
    can_capture = 1
    pirates = Pirate Salvager,Pirate Salvager,Pirate Fighter Type1
    pirate_pos = 100 100 0,-200 -10 -20,-50 20 50
    defenders = Pirate Salvager,Pirate Salvager
    defender_pos = 100 100 0,-200 -10 -20

Does that help? I'm afraid currently you couldn't use this for asteroids per say. Though there are other methods that might be doable for that.

I plan to offer full documentation for those maps on what each item does when Ares is released.

Last edited:

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Alright guys, 1PM MST (3PM EST, 8PM GMT, 9PM CET) this Saturday, let's get the hype train going!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Reminder,
    Server will be open tomorrow for testing at 1PM MST. IP and port will be posted when the server is up.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Reminder,
    Server will be open tomorrow for testing at 1PM MST. IP and port will be posted when the server is up.
    I won't be around tomorrow unfortunately.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    it got fun, got to remember to bring some of my own faction's ships next time. :P

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    To everyone not joining us today: Your loss... Having fun ain't mandatory.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Alright guys, 1PM MST (3PM EST, 8PM GMT, 9PM CET) this Saturday, let's get the hype train going!
    Just read this, very exited
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445129963,1445129900][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Reminder,
    I am standing by, tell the server here please!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445130687][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry for spamming, checked a couple times, I live nowhere near you guys,
    Sorry :(.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    seems like the run today is about 12 noon PST or do I have my timezone calculations off? :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm afraid there are no plans for testing today, everything was done yesterday. Future testing will likely be done though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thank you everyone who participated in the testing on Saturday.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Going to see if I can get a couple of small fighters up and running by the next time you guys open up the server. Right now my faction has like 1 fighter and 3 miners so not much to go on. Any limits we should know about other than credits needed?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Going to see if I can get a couple of small fighters up and running by the next time you guys open up the server. Right now my faction has like 1 fighter and 3 miners so not much to go on. Any limits we should know about other than credits needed?
    Credits are the only limitation really. Be sure to put a jump drive on it though, Traveling between sectors takes awhile at sublight.