Ares mod

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    From what I've heard from my factionmates, this mod is exactly what I've always wanted in Starmade - a use for smaller ships, and an easy way to jump straight into combat.

Good going, guys, you're beginning to make me want to play the game again :P

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    From what I've heard from my factionmates, this mod is exactly what I've always wanted in Starmade - a use for smaller ships, and an easy way to jump straight into combat.

Good going, guys, you're beginning to make me want to play the game again :p
    Exactly what you wrote. And late game you can even bring the big guns in :p (well, big as in 10-12K mass)
    Massive props to Jeryia for coming up with the idea and working it out! Hope you got plenty of useful data from yesterday!
    Also, it went surprisingly smoothly if people didn't attempt to switch teams.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Jeryia I had a few questions:
    1. are there a few objects added to the map for tactical advantages (like a place to hide and surprise attack)
    2. is there/could you make a system that puts prices on blueprints, depending on what blocks they have, that way you can just buy your ship with 1 click if you have enough credits. otherwise, you start and have to build, then you get killed and have to buy all the parts again.
    3. can you add a level system influenced by several things like kills damage done blocks destroyed mines captured and games won.
    this leveling gives no advantage besides the fact that you can brag and not look like a shit talker :D
    added to that it would be fun to have some names for ranks:
    rank 1-5 cadet
    rank 6-10 .....
    rank 11-15 .....
    etc, idk space ranking

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Jeryia I had a few questions:
    1. are there a few objects added to the map for tactical advantages (like a place to hide and surprise attack)
    2. is there/could you make a system that puts prices on blueprints, depending on what blocks they have, that way you can just buy your ship with 1 click if you have enough credits. otherwise, you start and have to build, then you get killed and have to buy all the parts again.
    3. can you add a level system influenced by several things like kills damage done blocks destroyed mines captured and games won.
    this leveling gives no advantage besides the fact that you can brag and not look like a shit talker :D
    rank 1-5 cadet
    rank 6-10 .....
    rank 11-15 .....
    etc, idk space ranking
    Actually cookie the ships are all bought with credits!

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I am also interested in StarD as well. Depending on how it works when it's finished, it might be suitable for a lot more types of battle gamemodes.

If you can pull it off, perhaps you could get it set up so that it features Map/World voting after X amount of rounds/minutes, and chat commands for admin usage, so that it can switch between different arenas (and their associated configs) without needing the server admin to manually restart things.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    you'll definitely need a better server if we want to fight with 10 players max.
    though I think the 5 mining posts are placed in a bit of a hard location for 10 max players, that would end all players meeting up at 1 point, this can be a good aspect for fighting, but looking at the server..... I'd rather say spread them about out like if you would move from 1 post to another that you have 2 flanks. if you get what I mean.... a bit like with league of legends like these maps:
    how it is right now:
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091228052829/leagueoflegends/images/c/ca/ProvingGrounds.png
    what I am suggesting:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9eOjp0OP0.../6Gub_bnV06k/s1600/Twisted_treeline_lanes.png

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    though I think the 5 mining posts are placed in a bit of a hard location for 10 max players, that would end all players meeting up at 1 point, this can be a good aspect for fighting, but looking at the server..... I'd rather say spread them about out like if you would move from 1 post to another that you have 2 flanks. if you get what I mean.... a bit like with league of legends like these maps:
    how it is right now:
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091228052829/leagueoflegends/images/c/ca/ProvingGrounds.png
    what I am suggesting:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9eOjp0OP0.../6Gub_bnV06k/s1600/Twisted_treeline_lanes.png
    Cookie, the main thing in space games is unrestricted movement (Homeworld, Haegemonia, Nexus, Sins of a Solar Empire, X, EVE, Elite etc.) so trying to restrict it would be pretty counterproductive.
    But I agree, baiting team battles with an outpost in the middle (for example, a shop!) crucial to control in order to win the game... that could work!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cookie, the main thing in space games is unrestricted movement (Homeworld, Haegemonia, Nexus, Sins of a Solar Empire, X, EVE, Elite etc.) so trying to restrict it would be pretty counterproductive.
    But I agree, baiting team battles with an outpost in the middle (for example, a shop!) crucial to control in order to win the game... that could work!
    I never tried to convince anyone of restrictions I mean exactly what you said, bait them, although there are no restrictions, there is a barrier in some sort of form, a barrier of usefulness if you go all the way around, it would just be a bit waste of time. I'm talking about splitting up the battlefield into 2 battlefields, this will also add the aspect or force placement, as you don't want to put full force on 1 flank and leave the other flank defenseless. I see we have the same opinion though :D

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Take a cue from Renegade. Have some form of secondary maintenance facility in the middle of the map where those in control can buy ships.

Maybe we should put some sort of tertiary support structures off to the sides of the map as well perhaps with ships pre-docked to them that are more powerful than mid and early game ships.

If your goal is to spread people out you don't restrict them you give them an incentive.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Howdy Guys,
    I'm seeing some good thoughts here. I really like the suggestions coming in. I do want to make sure you all know that everything that is posted here will be considered; However, I cannot make any promises that they will be implemented.

(Matt, just to let you know, I'm still rattling your thought of having Ares and normal starmade to coexist on the same server, I can't think of a good way yet though)

Not quite certain what your asking here. There are the mining stations, and as it is in a 3d space you could stage for an attack from really any angle. I'm guessing this is related to your second post which I talk about below.

Like other players have said, it's all based on what starmade's own internal mechanisms for determining the price of a ship. If starmade is set to buy with credits, a ship is a 1 click purchase :)

rank 1-5 cadet
    rank 6-10 .....
    rank 11-15 .....
    etc, idk space ranking
    That could definitely be done, and I don't think it would be difficult. Though I think that would be something to do after release. What sort of system are you thinking? Would you just gain points for whatever actions, and once you reached certain amounts you gained a new rank? Or would it be more dynamic where you gained points for some actions and lost points for others, and get the potential to both increase and decrease in rank?

how it is right now:
    what I am suggesting:
    I think what your suggesting could be done using different maps. For example the map you see I'm likely to call tug_of_war. I have a second map (which no one has played yet) Called ring_of_fire that's basically 1 system with each base on opposite sides of the star, and the control points (mining stations) are in a circle like pattern around the star. I think it'd be nice to offer both types of gameplay. What do you think?

Take a cue from Renegade. Have some form of secondary maintenance facility in the middle of the map where those in control can buy ships.

Maybe we should put some sort of tertiary support structures off to the sides of the map as well perhaps with ships pre-docked to them that are more powerful than mid and early game ships.

If your goal is to spread people out you don't restrict them you give them an incentive.
    I like that thought. A shop would serve as a good staging point as you could buy ships and be closer to the enemy base while doing so. To attack quicker and act as a blocker to their advances. Though they would still be able to go around you or jump past. I think these would especially be interesting in maps like ring_of_fire that I talked about above where there could be two points like this.

For tertiary structures that offer more powerful ships, I'm a little worried that would turn the game into a race to get there, and whoever got their first wins the game due to the extra firepower. I could do some odd structures that once captured would build ships of a given type for the player's faction. Thoughts?

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Hmm... Instead of docked ships you could instead have a design loaded into the stations shipyard that takes time and possible more resources than currently on the station to build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am also interested in StarD as well. Depending on how it works when it's finished, it might be suitable for a lot more types of battle gamemodes.

If you can pull it off, perhaps you could get it set up so that it features Map/World voting after X amount of rounds/minutes, and chat commands for admin usage, so that it can switch between different arenas (and their associated configs) without needing the server admin to manually restart things.
    I'd love to see StarD used for that. It's intended to load plugins that the server admin chooses, kinda like a forge for starmade servers(Ares being one of those plugins). It can be used to run a normal starmade server, or be modified to do other things. Though, like other server side wrappers, it's ability to influence stamade is limited to inputs of what it gets from the server logs, and the server commands themselves.

As for the different arenas, in it's current form ares supports loading multiple maps without a restart of the server no, which is controlled by admin commands. That voting feature is planned, but not implemented, but all the pieces are in place to do so, I just need to add the commands for the players to vote.

Ace, I'm not sure if more public testing will be needed before release. Mainly right now faction switching needs to be fixed, and a minor glitch in the money system needed fixing(was fixed during the testing yesterday). I was please with how things handled overall. I plan to do a lot more internal testing based on what I saw to ensure things are still looking good, but I think we're set until release.

I really appreciate the support and enthusiasm guys :)

Reactions: Winterhome

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For tertiary structures that offer more powerful ships, I'm a little worried that would turn the game into a race to get there, and whoever got their first wins the game due to the extra firepower. I could do some odd structures that once captured would build ships of a given type for the player's faction. Thoughts?
    A shipyard. This could even allow a support ship class in the game that salvages wrecks and dumps their blocks into the shipyard to create free ship(s)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Howdy Guys,

Not quite certain what your asking here. There are the mining stations, and as it is in a 3d space you could stage for an attack from really any angle. I'm guessing this is related to your second post which I talk about below.
    you know when you are playing a war game like call of duty, you move from cover to cover.
    if there is only the station in then 3 players will do to defend the whole place (as in sight)
    and then you'll have to get there without cover

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In a war game you move in 2 dimensions. But this is a space game. The closest to it aren't FPS games but flight sims. And in flight sims, you don't use any cover. Please don't compare it to CoD or Battlefield because they are not in the same genre, not on the same page, not in the same universe. Completely and absolutely different gameplay, scale and mechanics. If you want to play CoD in Starmade, go build an astronaut PvP arena.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    you know when you are playing a war game like call of duty, you move from cover to cover.
    if there is only the station in then 3 players will do to defend the whole place (as in sight)
    and then you'll have to get there without cover
    I appreciate the thought, but I don't tink such an environment would fit this type of game. Space is vast, and I don't think having lots of cover would make sense in a space based arena.

A shipyard. This could even allow a support ship class in the game that salvages wrecks and dumps their blocks into the shipyard to create free ship(s)
    That could be interesting, I'll need to do some testing to see how well it works.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I appreciate the thought, but I don't tink such an environment would fit this type of game. Space is vast, and I don't think having lots of cover would make sense in a space based arena.

That could be interesting, I'll need to do some testing to see how well it works.
    of course I don't mean lots of cover like in call of duty, that was to clarify what I mean.
    just a few spots to hide behind as attacker. or put those in the empty sectors. it would mean a lot in the beginning of the game, as your ship is most likely very movable but pretty weak, later it will become less useful as bigger ships become less movable.

also a little extra idea, will the neutral "uncaptured" mining posts be defended by pirates?
    otherwise it is just: spread team over as many posts as possible, left over goes at middle post.
    it also makes it a bit more of who is best tactical instead of who is fastest.

even more popped up in my head. are there turrets on the mining posts? if not, are you able to make them respawn after capture?

I have the feeling my ideas become worse than beginning but meh, here's more :D
    king of the hill mode, shouldn't be much work as you have capturing implemented.
    3 posts you can capture, points are rewarded per second/minute per outpost. team with *** points wins. (max points/max time)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Surrounding defender ships "Locals" is a pretty neat idea.