Any way to fix the Ghost Computer bug? /Nope

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Basically that bug that caused Computers (weapons or effects) to not ungroup when deleted, leaving behind a purple pulsing ghost. Normally it's a non-issue as the pulse ends up in a place where it can not cause any problems, but on my fighter it caused quite a few when I tried to change it's weapons systems.

I switched Cannon/Cannon to Cannon/Pulse, but for some reason, it kept draining the power like Cannon/Cannon was still there and being fired, even though the Cannon/Pulse could not (power issues). Another attempt cause the /Pulse slave to appear as a independent weapon.

Any way to fix this? The error persists through Blueprints, so not even a new copy of the ship seemed to help, and I don't have a whole lot of room to move around computers.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I haven't found a way to fix it, only thing you can do is to prevent it. Do not delete linked computers, always unlink them from any other computer before deleting.
    Also, the "ghost" link will only cause problems if you put another type of computer on it than what it used to be.

For bigger ships you just place your computers on a different spot, for smaller ones (and you really can't put it somewhere else) you're better off taking a copy/template and pasting it on a new ship core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had this same issue recently, hopefully they'll fix it soon. The best suggestion I can give is to keep backups of your ships at various stages of completion (this isn't a bad idea to begin with). Inspect your build for errors frequently so you don't pour work into an irreparably bugged blueprint.

Reactions: Unnamed25

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    does that persist after reloging ?
    It's some bug that is saved to the ship, persists after login and is saved to the Blueprint of the ship as well. Once you get it, you can't be rid of it it seems.

Will try that Lancake was kinda hoping there was a better way, but it is only a fighter, easy enough to copy/pasta.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm reviving this thread, I believe this issue is a lot more widespread than people realize. If anyone sees this, please check your builds for ghost outputs and upload screenshots, this needs some attention from the dev team. Is this even on the bug tracker?

Even my Diamondback Turrets were infected! Luckily, such a small turret is easy to rebuild from scratch.

How did outputs wind up below the turret in the first place?!

You can easily find out if your blueprint is infected by selecting the core with the C key and deleting the rest of the ship/turret. Another small turret I was working on had four instances of this, it's an epidemic!

The turret itself only had one computer linked to the core, how did this even happen?!

I am dreading what I will find when I inspect my larger builds.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I'm reviving this thread, I believe this issue is a lot more widespread than people realize. If anyone sees this, please check your builds for ghost outputs and upload screenshots, this needs some attention from the dev team. Is this even on the bug tracker?

Even my Diamondback Turrets were infected! Luckily, such a small turret is easy to rebuild from scratch.

How did outputs wind up below the turret in the first place?!

You can easily find out if your blueprint is infected by selecting the core with the C key and deleting the rest of the ship/turret. Another small turret I was working on had four instances of this, it's an epidemic!

The turret itself only had one computer linked to the core, how did this even happen?!

I am dreading what I will find when I inspect my larger builds.
    It is reported on the bug tracker: http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/1531

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good, thanks to this info I now have a vague idea how to avoid this digital disease.
    Oh look, it got my Lancer Turrets too.

I'm still going to inspect my builds and report each an every instance of this I find. This needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
    Is there any solution to this?
    I just noticed this in a ship I was giving a final checkout before uploading.
    I've got a ton of them because I decided I wanted to move the shipcore up 1 block, so I had to copy/paste the whole ship and move it all around the core. I guess I need to rebuild it from scratch...*SIGH*
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429762693,1429762425][/DOUBLEPOST]And I think I just found the solution. Delete the logic file from the ship blueprint folder and spawn a fresh copy. Nukes ALL the links.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This happened to me. The second time I deleted a ship I C selected the core and unlinked anything that was purple. It sort of worked.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    You can fix this problem ingame by going though the following arduous tasks:
    -select core (default bind d-pad "up" in build mode)
    -build a computer inside the ghost computer (preferably the computer type that was there originally, if known)
    -cycle the spot with [v] twice
    -delete computer
    -if ghost box persists, repeat with each computer type until solved.

Reaction score
    You can fix this problem ingame by going though the following arduous tasks:
    -select core (default bind d-pad "up" in build mode)
    -build a computer inside the ghost computer (preferably the computer type that was there originally, if known)
    -cycle the spot with [v] twice
    -delete computer
    -if ghost box persists, repeat with each computer type until solved.
    I've tried that repeatedly, no go. Even tried replacing the originals and relinking slaves and unlinking, still no go. It works with storage boxes, particularly if you name one and delete it, you can't get rid of the name. If you plop one in the original spot, reset name, delete, then it will clear.

The logic file holds all the links. You need to relink everything; weapons, lights, logic...but it seems to work with no ill effects. Just delete the file, respawn ship, fix, save the new blueprint, get on with your life.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I should've checked this thread before I posted mine. I'm having a similar thing, except the selection cubes are moving while the blocks are still there and linked. Weapons will fire from the spots of the selection cubes and NOT the physical blocks. Lights still seem to work at least.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/computer-weapon-links-moving-on-game-restart.7219/

I believe that is a slightly different bug actually. The issue I put in the OP refers to connection links remaining after deleting a computer, yours is connection modules being offset for some reason.

One thing you could try, is Saving it as a BP, and deleting the logic files to reset all the links. It'll fix the current ghosting bugs (although you will have to redo all connections everywhere), but I'm not sure if it'll help with this bug, as the offset module bugs sometimes comes back/reoccurs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I believe that is a slightly different bug actually. The issue I put in the OP refers to connection links remaining after deleting a computer, yours is connection modules being offset for some reason.

One thing you could try, is Saving it as a BP, and deleting the logic files to reset all the links. It'll fix the current ghosting bugs (although you will have to redo all connections everywhere), but I'm not sure if it'll help with this bug, as the offset module bugs sometimes comes back/reoccurs.
    Ah, I'll give that one a try, thanks for your help!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen

Know what this was? It was my Scorpion V Interceptor, isn't it obvious?

...Anyway. Found this while upgrading the thing with a rail docker. Krougal's suggestion worked a treat. Sorta. I had to relog before the (now logic-less) blueprint spawned new ships without core connections, so keep that in mind. Took some fiddling, but saved me the trouble of having to rebuild it block by block. It really works.

Also made a mistake while relinking and confirmed that this glitch is still very much at large in the latest version. Beware!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    My solution and one that was suggested to me.
    I've also finally sorted out the issues with my Longsword.

These are all the phantom connections to the core. Any logic block or computer that is connected shows up in the weapons tab but cannot be accessed. The ship in this state is below my standards so even though I've been wanting to release an update for this ship I have been unable to.

What I had to do to solve this error was copy the entire ship, 84x49x36 containing more block types than one can hold in their inventory. Once I stripped out easy to replace blocks that would take up to much space in my inventory I copied it, pasted it onto a new core off center so the phantom blocks would be in empty space and therefore not connect. Then I had to copy the ship a second time and paste it onto a new core with the core in the proper position.
    Oh, I found a much easier way to fix that. Delete the logic.smbpl file from the ship folder. You have to reconnect everything but it works like a champ.