Planned Another Planet Thread

Reaction score
    Undoubtedly mentioned in many other threads, just thought it would be easier to see some of these planet ideas in one lcation.

MOAR TYPES OF PLANETS!

Volcanic Worlds
    Dead Worlds
    Crystalline Worlds
    War-Ravaged Worlds
    *Heirarchy Worlds

*Species that are battle thralls for a combat species

Just a few I came up with in 5 minutes. post more ideas please, and try to get the devs attention. MOAR PLANET IDEAS

Reactions: Lecic and Blodge

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Phased Worlds, the only appear at a certain time and place, then disappear after a certain amount of time. Could be a great place for a base if anything on the planet phased with it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Phasing = Invincible?
    What happens if it phase into reality when you are inside the planet? Then you get killed or are trapped in out-of-phase when it disappears?
    I think we already have this : planets are only loaded when a player causes the server to load this sector.​

Ocean World, just for harvesting Deuterium for our reactors :p
    More seriously : If many plates were non-blocky ocean, swamp, desert, ... the few others could be more interesting without burning your hardware.​

Reaction score
    Ringworlds! like the Halos, but made up of plates in a dodecagon. the interior would follow a cut off version of standard planet generation, and would have a tiny artificial sun thing at the core. 5% of the spawning rate of regular planets.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Phasing = Invincible?
    What happens if it phase into reality when you are inside the planet? Then you get killed or are trapped in out-of-phase when it disappears?
    I think we already have this : planets are only loaded when a player causes the server to load this sector.​

Ocean World, just for harvesting Deuterium for our reactors :p
    More seriously : If many plates were non-blocky ocean, swamp, desert, ... the few others could be more interesting without burning your hardware.​
    Well my idea was that while phased, you would be perfectly fine, and no one could see or hurt you, but you couldn't see out or leave until it unphased. You also would have absolutely no control over the phasing so it can be randomized or set up to a specific pattern. It would be a tactical choice to use it as a base ultimately.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Volcanic Worlds
    Dead Worlds
    Crystalline Worlds
    Agreed 100% :)

War-Ravaged Worlds
    You mean a planet with a ruined civilisation on it? Surely the terrain-type for that could by any of the existing or other types already mentioned?

*Heirarchy Worlds

*Species that are battle thralls for a combat species
    Not entirely sure what you mean by this, although I suspect it could go the same way as your War-ravaged world. Got an example?

I have one to ad to the list: Machine World. The whole surface is entirely industrial/mechanical.
    metal planet.jpg
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449518149,1449518040][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ringworlds! like the Halos, but made up of plates in a dodecagon. the interior would follow a cut off version of standard planet generation, and would have a tiny artificial sun thing at the core. 5% of the spawning rate of regular planets.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449518750][/DOUBLEPOST]Ooh, what about a floating planet-segment with a dome over it?

Reaction score
    Agreed 100% :)

You mean a planet with a ruined civilisation on it? Surely the terrain-type for that could by any of the existing or other types already mentioned?

Not entirely sure what you mean by this, although I suspect it could go the same way as your War-ravaged world. Got an example?

I have one to ad to the list: Machine World. The whole surface is entirely industrial/mechanical.
    View attachment 19357
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449518149,1449518040][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449518750][/DOUBLEPOST]Ooh, what about a floating planet-segment with a dome over it?
    War ravaged worlds would work with NPCs fighting each other on planets, and look up The Ur Quan Masters for Hierarchy worlds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    War ravaged worlds would work with NPCs fighting each other on planets, and look up The Ur Quan Masters for Hierarchy worlds.
    This sounds more like a description of the culture of a planet's civilisation, rather than it's terrain-type. I'm not opposed to the idea, I just thought we were talking about types of planet rather than types of NPC cultures.

Reaction score
    Seems interesting to me. I would love to see more planet types myself. Do you think the ring planets would cause less lag to load?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This sounds more like a description of the culture of a planet's civilisation, rather than it's terrain-type. I'm not opposed to the idea, I just thought we were talking about types of planet rather than types of NPC cultures.
    I think they're talking about planet types that are completely overtaken by whatever the planet's inhabitants did to it, to the point where natural features are either gone or largely gone so that the tiny areas where there is still foliage can be filled in by a single defined type, probably Terran.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think they're talking about planet types that are completely overtaken by whatever the planet's inhabitants did to it, to the point where natural features are either gone or largely gone so that the tiny areas where there is still foliage can be filled in by a single defined type, probably Terran.
    Could be. I didn't get that impression from Andem's reference though: http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Battle_Thrall
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449625670,1449625607][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Seems interesting to me. I would love to see more planet types myself. Do you think the ring planets would cause less lag to load?
    If they have less plates than a normal planet, then probably yes.

Reaction score
    Could be. I didn't get that impression from Andem's reference though: http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Battle_Thrall
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449625670,1449625607][/DOUBLEPOST]
    If they have less plates than a normal planet, then probably yes.
    My thought was a bit like this, but the terrain would be scorched, and highly polluted. NPCs would spawn in whatever form they would be, and they would kill eah other. most plant life would be gone, and chunks of plates would be missing entirely.

Reactions: jgames666

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    My thought was a bit like this, but the terrain would be scorched, and highly polluted. NPCs would spawn in whatever form they would be, and they would kill eah other. most plant life would be gone, and chunks of plates would be missing entirely.
    This sounds great. Totally for it..

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ah! I think I understand now. So, unlike a planet with a ruined civilisation on it, it would be a planet with a live civilisation actively in the process of ruining itself? That's cool :) I see scope for NPC missions there doing mercenary work for either side. Planets might need to get a little bigger first though.

In that case, how about a brand-new colony world? The colonists may need supplies and resources to help establish the colony, terraform the environment or tame the local wildlife. Should be some NPC mission opportunity there too :)

Reaction score
    Ah! I think I understand now. So, unlike a planet with a ruined civilisation on it, it would be a planet with a live civilisation actively in the process of ruining itself? That's cool :) I see scope for NPC missions there doing mercenary work for either side. Planets might need to get a little bigger first though.

In that case, how about a brand-new colony world? The colonists may need supplies and resources to help establish the colony, terraform the environment or tame the local wildlife. Should be some NPC mission opportunity there too :)
    I love it! Colonies could (possibly) have different stages of completion, and if you game them things (or sold them) they would get closer to becoming a civilization!

Reaction score
    The Systems without stars are pretty boring. we should have exo-planets that have no suns!