Animated Vault Door

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

This is my attempt at making a realistic round-y vault door with a rotating handle (I've always wanted to do that!). Feel free to tell me what you think about it, show me improvements or just show me what you made with this!

Sometimes the door (for some magic reason) moves a few centimeters to one side and gets stuck, it has an automatic system that will keep trying until it's really closed. Also, I'm not a logic god, so try not to spam the buttons (although for now I have never had it really break).

Vital read before usage:
    - You'll have to connect the wifi logic blocks manually since for some reason they don't get saved. Connect the wifi of the BASE to the wifi of the DOOR.

++ DOWNLOAD HERE ++

Last edited:
    Reactions: JimmyJamba

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I had a look at this, and I decided to try to make it better. The main things I didn't like was the use of delays (I don't like using them with rails, they just don't work well together) and the janky (for lack of a better word) animation on the handle. The VaultDoor_TestBed was my first attempt, where I just made a simplified, all logic version. The Mechanicus_VaultDoor_Simplified was my implementation of my logic into your hull.

I didn't really notice the sticking issue, but if there's something going on with that my logic may have issues with it.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I had a look at this, and I decided to try to make it better. The main things I didn't like was the use of delays (I don't like using them with rails, they just don't work well together) and the janky (for lack of a better word) animation on the handle. The VaultDoor_TestBed was my first attempt, where I just made a simplified, all logic version. The Mechanicus_VaultDoor_Simplified was my implementation of my logic into your hull.

I didn't really notice the sticking issue, but if there's something going on with that my logic may have issues with it.
    Glad it inspired you to do stuff! Those delays are exclusively there to make sure the door is closed when some time passed, in case it got stuck along the way. Therefore it will never fuck up the process (at worst it will close the door if you tell it to open mid-way, which is a price I decided to pay in order to have a system to prevent that prevents the door from getting stuck and does it fast).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think with a couple of cosmetic changes it would make a great airlock. or on a larger scale a base door entrance.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    rariisan I have a few tweaks, but then it would be perfect:
    Decrease speed on both rotation and movement this creates the dramatic effect an opening vault door should have.
    Make it that the spinny thing first spins like 2/3 times 360, then stop the spinning and move the door backwards, makes it a lot more realistic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    rariisan I have a few tweaks, but then it would be perfect:
    Decrease speed on both rotation and movement this creates the dramatic effect an opening vault door should have.
    Make it that the spinny thing first spins like 2/3 times 360, then stop the spinning and move the door backwards, makes it a lot more realistic.
    That's a very cool idea (I didn't know they worked like that), I'm thinking of making an alternative realistic version now (because some people may prefer a faster but less realistic door).

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's a very cool idea (I didn't know they worked like that), I'm thinking of making an alternative realistic version now (because some people may prefer a faster but less realistic door).
    yea that's a big problem I always have, sometimes friends ask me to make a door sometimes they have to be very big but they are always at important places that need to be accesed. so either the place will be visited 20x less or the door will stay open all the time or the door is simplistic. for example I once made a barred door like this one: http://www.offthegridnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/fortifying-door-barred-400x304.jpg the wood would move aside when you hit the button then the door would slide down, since then the door was only used to show off