Angled Entity Rail Mount Block

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    I'd like to suggest a block, similar to the Rail Rotator in function, to enable us to set entities at angles other then 45' increments. The block, instead of rotating all the way around would only need to rotate up to 90' and could be linked to activators to give the rail a set position within the 90' range. ie two activators with one on would be 45', 5 activators with 2 on would be 36' etc.
    A block like this would have a huge impact on building options and possible ship shapes allowing us to break out of the 45' build plane we are currently confined to.

Cheers
    MrG

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I agree. I think its been suggested before but I still agree. Only current way to do this is to have a docked entity rotated 45' and then add another docked entity to it.

Drybreeze

Simply complicated.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Although it can't be controlled by logic, it is possible to produce a docked entity at any angle you want.
    Turret mount points inherit angle from blueprints... so if you mount any docked entity on a turret point, manually aim it in the direction you want, and then save a blueprint, it will open up at that angle every time.

It isn't perfect, but it does achieve (in the strictest sense) that which you want - to break up the 0, 45, 90 angles we're currently confined to.

As examples of how I've currently used this, observe the lower arms of my shipyard. They're all spawned in entities off the one saved blueprint... each arm consists of three generations of docked entity (ie: docked main arm, then another docked to that, and finally the tip docked to that) all spawned in at identical angles which I set on the original saved blueprint.

It's a start towards what you're asking for, at least. It just can't be ALTERED by logic (although you can always climb into the core and alter it yourself manually at any time, of course).

Another example is the wings on my Flit Class scout/raider craft available in Community Content.

Not quite 45 degrees. Sadly limited by not being able to "fold up" for carrier storage etc, but as I mentioned, it does at least break up the angles into whatever angle you want...

I haven't yet used it to it's full potential (for example a really nice alien carrier with a ton of antennas hanging out the back at all angles like the spines on a hedgehog or something) but it can be done... they just can't be made to MOVE.

Hope that helps scratch your itch for now... :)

Reactions: Igfig and wafflepie
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Although it can't be controlled by logic, it is possible to produce a docked entity at any angle you want.
    Turret mount points inherit angle from blueprints... so if you mount any docked entity on a turret point, manually aim it in the direction you want, and then save a blueprint, it will open up at that angle every time.

It isn't perfect, but it does achieve (in the strictest sense) that which you want - to break up the 0, 45, 90 angles we're currently confined to.

As examples of how I've currently used this, observe the lower arms of my shipyard. They're all spawned in entities off the one saved blueprint... each arm consists of three generations of docked entity (ie: docked main arm, then another docked to that, and finally the tip docked to that) all spawned in at identical angles which I set on the original saved blueprint.

It's a start towards what you're asking for, at least. It just can't be ALTERED by logic (although you can always climb into the core and alter it yourself manually at any time, of course).

Another example is the wings on my Flit Class scout/raider craft available in Community Content.

Not quite 45 degrees. Sadly limited by not being able to "fold up" for carrier storage etc, but as I mentioned, it does at least break up the angles into whatever angle you want...

I haven't yet used it to it's full potential (for example a really nice alien carrier with a ton of antennas hanging out the back at all angles like the spines on a hedgehog or something) but it can be done... they just can't be made to MOVE.

Hope that helps scratch your itch for now... :)

Thanks for this info. One question, how is this effected by the 'Rail System Collective - Reset All Turrets' option? Does it reset to it's blueprint position or in the direction of the rail?

(Edit: would be right after I finish redoing the whole entity that caused this issue for me... bloody Murphy. ;) )

Drybreeze

Simply complicated.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've never used that feature so I'm not sure how it would work with this. I imagine it would reset all docked entities to the same position they start in when first docked. .. and so destroy the specified angle effect. .. as Schwarzenegger would say "dont do dat".

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Thanks for this info. One question, how is this effected by the 'Rail System Collective - Reset All Turrets' option? Does it reset to it's blueprint position or in the direction of the rail?

(Edit: would be right after I finish redoing the whole entity that caused this issue for me... bloody Murphy. ;) )
    If you use this trick then the reset all turrets option will indeed mess it up so avoid pressing that button.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    If you use this trick then the reset all turrets option will indeed mess it up so avoid pressing that button.
    Yeah I've already tested it, as I have dozens of turrets on the ship in question and use the reset feature frequently using the blueprint 'trick' it's not an option for me.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    At the risk of derailing the thread....

Can you build blocks on the main structure after moving "arms" into position, adjacent to those arms, to maintain their angles? That's how Lego sets normally maintain strange angles....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    At the risk of derailing the thread....

Can you build blocks on the main structure after moving "arms" into position, adjacent to those arms, to maintain their angles? That's how Lego sets normally maintain strange angles....

This idea is pretty much what I tried to do. Place blocks in key positions after angle adjustment to hold a turret rail entity in position. However the turret resets so that the entities clip into each other, making it impossible to hold the turret in place and also making moving the turret back to position difficult due to clipped blocks.