Analyzing StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Recently, I was in some rather intuitive creation discussions with a fellow writing enthusiast. the person I was talking with understandably wishes to remain anonymous. So I will respect that wish now and make no more mention of his identity.

Amway, this babel all has a real point. when we were talking, we started to go through all our favorite written works, and then began to analyze how, and specifically why, they were created. In our discussion case this took on the specific genera. the Science Fiction Genera. We began to look at not only the books on the subject form, but also all of the other medium of the modern world. Films, of the early 70's led us to the most obvious of franchising choices. Then we started to go through the history of things in those eras.

This got really interesting till we came to the early 90's. This is when we had a new medium which I don't really think anyone really had considered analyzing in the way we did before, Video Games. It is in fact, the same form of art like any creative medium. It is in itself, an entertainment genera, unlike any that has come before. It is interactive in ways that no other form of entertainment has ever been before. So we began to really look at it like the films and books and other things the same way. We looked at it as a canvas to paint on.

Video Games, are made in a very similar way, as to how books and films are made. They all start with an idea. That idea grows into a visual representation of that idea. which then develops into the finished product the same way as any other art form.

So this is where the point comes to mind, Analyze StarMade. lets pick it apart look at how and why things work and see how awesome and smart Scheema really is. because lets face it he is brilliant, like the George Lucas of the Video Game medium, He has created something that in fact is our Star Wars. What he has created, is a game in total balance with how we like to use it. That is in fact a very impossible dream. A game that fills all the needs of the player but still lets them create with it, is something very few game designers get to do these days. That is what StarMade is.

I think we need to look at that, and think about whats going on with it right now, just as importantly, as much as we do, with where it is going in the future. Clearly that is exactly what Scheema is also doing. He is creating this new Intergalactic Council thing to let us interact with him and his team, in order to set out exactly what it needs to do next. That is a new approach that I've not seen any other game designer do before. He's letting us, make decisions on how the game continues to develop. so where will this go and where will this lead? Well that is also exactly why I'm posting this. To do discussions on what how and when that needs to happen. timing of this is the key now is the perfect time to take a step back and look back at where we've come, this game has developed in the years, so now is a good time to look at it and think, where can it go next?

Ill be posting further comments on this as I see fit to do so, but it really is a fascinating thought. To look at this game as a form of art, is just so much more rewarding than other games out there.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Recently, I was in some rather intuitive creation discussions with a fellow writing enthusiast. the person I was talking with understandably wishes to remain anonymous. So I will respect that wish now and make no more mention of his identity.

Amway, this babel all has a real point. when we were talking, we started to go through all our favorite written works, and then began to analyze how, and specifically why, they were created. In our discussion case this took on the specific genera. the Science Fiction Genera. We began to look at not only the books on the subject form, but also all of the other medium of the modern world. Films, of the early 70's led us to the most obvious of franchising choices. Then we started to go through the history of things in those eras.

This got really interesting till we came to the early 90's. This is when we had a new medium which I don't really think anyone really had considered analyzing in the way we did before, Video Games. It is in fact, the same form of art like any creative medium. It is in itself, an entertainment genera, unlike any that has come before. It is interactive in ways that no other form of entertainment has ever been before. So we began to really look at it like the films and books and other things the same way. We looked at it as a canvas to paint on.

Video Games, are made in a very similar way, as to how books and films are made. They all start with an idea. That idea grows into a visual representation of that idea. which then develops into the finished product the same way as any other art form.

So this is where the point comes to mind, Analyze StarMade. lets pick it apart look at how and why things work and see how awesome and smart Scheema really is. because lets face it he is brilliant, like the George Lucas of the Video Game medium, He has created something that in fact is our Star Wars. What he has created, is a game in total balance with how we like to use it. That is in fact a very impossible dream. A game that fills all the needs of the player but still lets them create with it, is something very few game designers get to do these days. That is what StarMade is.

I think we need to look at that, and think about whats going on with it right now, just as importantly, as much as we do, with where it is going in the future. Clearly that is exactly what Scheema is also doing. He is creating this new Intergalactic Council thing to let us interact with him and his team, in order to set out exactly what it needs to do next. That is a new approach that I've not seen any other game designer do before. He's letting us, make decisions on how the game continues to develop. so where will this go and where will this lead? Well that is also exactly why I'm posting this. To do discussions on what how and when that needs to happen. timing of this is the key now is the perfect time to take a step back and look back at where we've come, this game has developed in the years, so now is a good time to look at it and think, where can it go next?

Ill be posting further comments on this as I see fit to do so, but it really is a fascinating thought. To look at this game as a form of art, is just so much more rewarding than other games out there.
    agreed!
    that is why we all love this game

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Normal games are a form of art. StarMade, with its creative building mode, goes a step beyond to become an artistic platform, which is not only artistic itself, but enables its players to be artistic. Much like the SDKs of other games, but better, the build mode in StarMade is completely immediate in nature, allowing artistic creation and artistic expression (gameplay) simultaneously.

http://starmadedock.net/content/working-engine-prototype.1533/

http://starmadedock.net/content/harvester-squid.2207/

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It should be noted, the CSM is a similar body of people that work with the devs of EVE Online in order to voice the players biggest concerns. I think there are a few other game companies that do this. But it works. It is a brilliant idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Nominate Royalwolfe for council?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Nominate Royalwolfe for council?
    as nice as that sentiment is, unfortunately I do not have the adequate time to devote to the council to run for office. so ill have to help out as I can by simply just keeping the issues in the ears of those that can.

but i support Tomino Sauce so a vote for him is a vote for us.

Reaction score
    Well, many of you may be familiar with my unpopular opinions and oblique viewpoints. I will not disappoint here.

He is creating this new Intergalactic Council thing to let us interact with him and his team, in order to set out exactly what it needs to do next. That is a new approach that I've not seen any other game designer do before. He's letting us, make decisions on how the game continues to develop. so where will this go and where will this lead?
    It should be noted, the CSM is a similar body of people that work with the devs of EVE Online in order to voice the players biggest concerns. I think there are a few other game companies that do this. But it works. It is a brilliant idea.
    If it is true that the forthcoming Intergalactic Council is a vehicle for keeping Schine abreast of the community's opinion and desired development/direction of the game, for altruistic purposes, then I applaud it's advent. (I'm curious, however, why they don't have a in-house team-member specifically assigned to "scan the fora" for those purposes already. Does this imply they are already out-of-touch with this, yet, tiny community?) If the council is a means by which Schine effectively inflates it's numbers of unpaid employees for essentially "idea-mining" then I need say no more. Time will tell; I sincerely it's the former.

I am glad to hear that EVE Online has a productive council. EVE has a peculiar following, however. ( <paraphrasing> "EVE Online is a great game. The problem is that it just isn't any fun.") I'm a Lifetime membership holder to Lord of the Rings Online; it also created a player-council, and let me tell you, that body is a TOTAL joke. Of course, the sane players of that game understood that that would be the case (Warner Bros. is totally evil), but it turned out to be even worse* than anticipated. Only the naive, "fan-boys", and prestige-seekers get near it. (Granted LotRO has been a sinking ship for quite a long time now...)

For me, I'm leery of a council this early in a game. I think Schine needs actual employees. And that, most likely, Schema needs a 1st Officer (and probably more) to get the workload rolling. If this game is just gunna be 1 guy unwilling to give-up total control, it's gunna be a long wait for Beta...

~ee

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    (I'm curious, however, why they don't have a in-house team-member specifically assigned to "scan the fora" for those purposes already. Does this imply they are already out-of-touch with this, yet, tiny community?)
    There is a problem with just scanning the forums; you don't get everything. A fair chunk of the older players do also have ideas and opinions, but they do not make posts or suggestions, because they are already planned and they do not know how it will work. Most of the suggestions are new players who do not know of already planned features, and once they do, most stop suggesting for one reason or another.

There are Devs who search the suggestion threads and the rest of the forums, but they can not get to the opinions of those hidden away on servers or those who only appear in chat, or even those old players who just don't make suggestions anymore.

Think of those threads about balance changes, like the one about increasing shields, the recent one about missiles, the many manifestos about different areas of gameplay. Those kinds of threads are the ideal goal of the council I think, and since the council is high-profile, it may attract even more people to those kinds of threads than it normally would. Gathering the widespread opinion that can not be found on the forums, because the forums really is just a small part of the community.

If the council is a means by which Schine effectively inflates it's numbers of unpaid employees for essentially "idea-mining" then I need say no more. Time will tell; I sincerely it's the former.
    No one in Schine is payed as far as I know, everyone is a volunteer. Even those joining the council are technically volunteering to help Schine in their own way, so it's really a non-issue unless the reason you are joining is not to aid Schine or the game development.

For me, I'm leery of a council this early in a game. I think Schine needs actual employees. And that, most likely, Schema needs a 1st Officer (and probably more) to get the workload rolling. If this game is just gunna be 1 guy unwilling to give-up total control, it's gunna be a long wait for Beta...
    There is actually some hope there. Chat discovered a guy on Twitter (Part of a MCP project) who very recently changed his avatar to match those of Schine, as well as following Calbiri and AndyP, and being followed by Calbiri. Nothing official, just some fun chat gossip that might give you hope.

Reaction score
    Your points are valid, as usual, CyberTao. I'm aware that Schine personal are volunteers. I'm also aware that Councilors know full well that they are volunteers.

I want this game to succeed. Still, a watchdog is not a bad thing.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If it is true that the forthcoming Intergalactic Council is a vehicle for keeping Schine abreast of the community's opinion and desired development/direction of the game, for altruistic purposes, then I applaud it's advent. (I'm curious, however, why they don't have a in-house team-member specifically assigned to "scan the fora" for those purposes already. Does this imply they are already out-of-touch with this, yet, tiny community?) If the council is a means by which Schine effectively inflates it's numbers of unpaid employees for essentially "idea-mining" then I need say no more. Time will tell; I sincerely it's the former.
    They work hard to try to keep up with the forums, but the majority of discussion on the forums involves duplicate information and repeated suggestions in various forms. (How many times in an average week is the "new HP system" mentioned? Weapon linking? Quest system? AI improvements? Moddding API? etc., etc., etc....) I believe the council's primary purpose will be to distill the information and pare down the duplicate suggestions into a cohesive whole that the core dev team can act on confidently without having to spend all their own time digging into the details throughout all the threads. (There's some valid, good stuff that can pop up 6 pages into a thread!)

Reaction score
    Normal games are a form of art. StarMade, with its creative building mode, goes a step beyond to become an artistic platform
    Very well said. It's fascinating to think how the developers will walk the line between the "work of art" we see in video games and the "artistic platform" we seem to have. I know there are community members who'd like to see it pushed more one way (as in, developing storylines, campaigns, etc.) or the other (keeping the sandbox pretty open, letting the community develop campaigns). Since I'm still relatively new in the community, have we ever gotten a clear picture of what Schema wants this to be?

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Very well said. It's fascinating to think how the developers will walk the line between the "work of art" we see in video games and the "artistic platform" we seem to have. I know there are community members who'd like to see it pushed more one way (as in, developing storylines, campaigns, etc.) or the other (keeping the sandbox pretty open, letting the community develop campaigns). Since I'm still relatively new in the community, have we ever gotten a clear picture of what Schema wants this to be?
    Thanks! From what I've read over the past 10 months, I'm under the impression that Schema prefers open sandbox play. His team generally works towards a wide-open game style that allows emergent behavior, as opposed to more defined details. When they have implemented ideas from the community, unless the original idea is really open in the first place, they'll implement it in an elegantly open-play style.