Suggested Alpha Numeric Armor blocks ? (programmable armor Text)

DO YOU WANT THIS ?

• NO, #1 programmable armor

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • NO, #2 6 sided A-Z 0-9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Alpha Numeric Armor blocks ? and symbols ?
    I have a few ideas how this could work.

Ether is good for ships too small for "PIXEL ART" Text

1 extra block per armor type. i think the best option.
    A programmable display block that looks like Armor that holds only 1 letter/number painted on it (press [R] to activate) this would also work for wedges.
    this option also makes Text color optional.
    could also work for alien text?
    This could even scale down for very small labels for small ships

also found this thread by some one else started 2 years ago.
    Suggestion for a slightly different display block

26 letters in English, 10 numbers. if you had each face of a cube with a different letter that's only 6 blocks, ad an extra block and you can add 6 Symbols (!@#&)

one letter per block...
    (worst option)

PLEASE VOTE :)

Last edited:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I really like the idea of being able to write on the hull. We currently have some tricks that we can do with displays check out what ToasterBorst has done here. But it would be nice if there was a more direct way of doing this much like the OP suggested.

Would be nice if this function could extend to color as well, so we wouldn't have to replace all the armor just to paint the hull a different color.

Nice Idea, I like it :)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This is highly complicated for no reason. I'd rather have a decal system that operated like the asteroid ores do. It's just an overlay for pictures/symbols/text that attaches to a block.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    ...check out what ToasterBorst has done here....
    Kinda useful-ish...Just FYI. There's This thing...
    TT Demo Platform - Display Demo 2, Holography & Holograffiti
    Ok, every time someone talks about hull text/holograms, ToasterBorst's work is trotted out, and it is getting a bit tiresome.

Yes, what ToasterBorst did with the existing display block is bloody incredible, and to be commended.
    But in my opinion, it *is not* a valid answer to the hologram/decal discussion. What he did is just entirely too hard to do for someone that just wants to but some frikking text on their ship.

Personally, I like option 1. It would allow for non-English ship naming.

P.S. to be fair to alterintel, he did go on to say that he liked the OP's idea.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok, every time someone talks about hull text/holograms, ToasterBorst's work is trotted out, and it is getting a bit tiresome.

Yes, what ToasterBorst did with the existing display block is bloody incredible, and to be commended.
    But in my opinion, it *is not* a valid answer to the hologram/decal discussion. What he did is just entirely too hard to do for someone that just wants to but some frikking text on their ship.

I couldn't agree more. It's just that sometimes people are a little less patient. Soon(tm) get's kind of old after a while. In the mean time we like to show off things that can be done in the here and now without waiting. This is why ToasterBorst's work is brought up. But like you said it's not an answer, and it' not even a very good stop gap.

I'm very sorry if you think we've de-railed your discussion.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Sorry, most of us are alts of ToasterBorst. He also got into the minds of some of us to make us post his stuff.

But to make sure I don't de-rail this, the idea is good and logical and suggested but it costs quite some block IDs (Idk why but people always say we should be careful with using too many block IDs) I think that the idea from nightrune would work a lot better. Decals can give more options: letters and such on wedges, you could possibly resize things and if they enable people to upload their own decals, people can make things like door looking doors or refrigerators (but also the risk of kinky stuff) even without the ability to upload your own decals, decals can provide way more options than a special form of the display block. Who would like decals (and with or without upload abilities)

Of course, this is all discussable.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    but it costs quite some block IDs
    The block ID limit can be explained once you look at the data a block holds. Each block is 3 bytes. 11 bits of those 24 bits (3x8bits) is the block id, meaning we have a limit of 2048 (2^11). To get more block ids we would have to increase the amount of data for each block to 32 bits. This would make it 4 bytes per block and is a 25% increase in memory overhead and storage on a server. There should probably be a damn good reason to increase that.

We currently have 883 blocks used by the game, and 255 reserved blocks for custom use by players/modders. So we are at approximately 1140 blocks or just over 55% used and we aren't even in beta yet. Adding slabs added ~180 block ids since each slab is its own block id.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The block ID limit can be explained once you look at the data a block holds. Each block is 3 bytes. 11 bits of those 24 bits (3x8bits) is the block id, meaning we have a limit of 2048 (2^11). To get more block ids we would have to increase the amount of data for each block to 32 bits. This would make it 4 bytes per block and is a 25% increase in memory overhead and storage on a server. There should probably be a damn good reason to increase that.

We currently have 883 blocks used by the game, and 255 reserved blocks for custom use by players/modders. So we are at approximately 1140 blocks or just over 55% used and we aren't even in beta yet. Adding slabs added ~180 block ids since each slab is its own block id.
    I don't think beta would add that much. But thanks for the explanation (I now remember there used to be a lot of discussions about this a year ago or so, back then I didn't understand the stuff xD)

Reaction score
    I em not as smart as i like to pretend i am, having spent some time playing "mine craft" i have seen what modding can do for and to a community, i mostly liked vanilla.
    i have seen lots of cool mods and plugins for mine craft and some for other games, some mods even made there way into the core game (horses), but i do not have the know how, or the friends to "mod" though i have no shortage of ideas i have no where to start from and find it very overwhelming and a lot of work to get such a simple result. i then have a lot of respect for people that can and do.
    I also tend to over think things.

i have meany ideas and suggestions for people that will listen and meany more i have not posted or may not post at all

My point (tldr)
    Its fine to talk about cool tags and work arounds but there all complicated and require to much space OR work to small.

like plunging broken dam with a cookie. its a waist of a cookie that wont hold long.