Suggestion for a slightly different display block

Reaction score
    Currently if I want to put up some sort of sign, I either need to use the tiny display module, or go through the hassle of GIGANTIC lettering with blocks.

There is perhaps an easier, intermediate way. I suggest a block, similiar to the display module, but which contains a user-defined alphabetic character on its entire display. In other words, a letter the size of a block. I think this should only require one block, much like the display module. You type your letter in, and you are good to go.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I prefer a billboard.
    You can make loop (like current gates) of blocks - and the inside plane is your drawing area.
    You can make a plane (at least partially filled loop) - and it is your drawing area.

The direction is defined by the controller block (inside the loop/plane = both sides) vs (behind the loop/plane)​

Imagine a 2D image 1 block = 1 pixel, scaled up to fit your UserInterface which you can write on.

You could select "Currier Block" which is like Currier New for 1 letter per block :) would be fun if it could render fonts made as templates.

Reactions: Atas-Pelangi

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I prefer a billboard.
    You can make loop (like current gates) of blocks - and the inside plane is your drawing area.
    You can make a plane (at least partially filled loop) - and it is your drawing area.

The direction is defined by the controller block (inside the loop/plane = both sides) vs (behind the loop/plane)​

Imagine a 2D image 1 block = 1 pixel, scaled up to fit your UserInterface which you can write on.

You could select "Currier Block" which is like Currier New for 1 letter per block :) would be fun if it could render fonts made as templates.
    This does not solve the problem the OP addressed. You cannot make a one-block-wide letter if one pixel = 1 block.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This does not solve the problem the OP addressed. You cannot make a one-block-wide letter if one pixel = 1 block.
    True, but for a single letter you may just use a display block == controller without billboard.

Don't think that narrow.
    Think about what can ultimately be, what you need from it now, how to get it fast without wasting TOO much effort into things that you will later not need anymore.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes. This is a great idea, especially since it cuts down on all of the block IDs that would get taken up for all of the different letters, numbers, and other characters.

Reaction score
    A whole new block is not needed, just add some code or something to the existing display block like /giantletter or something.

I like the idea of easier ship lettering though, so +1.

Reaction score
    something [...] like /giantletter or something.
    It's already there. The display block can accept HTML-like tags for colour and font size styling:
    Code:
    <style>f=64</style>
    Problem is, f (font size) can only be 0, 1, or 2 (smaller, default, and larger) at the moment. This is what needs to be expanded upon, and ideally a few more parameters, for background colour, text alignment, font face etc.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I prefer letter blocks.

Like an A the size of a block!
    That'd be nice, but it'd take up 26 (letters) + 10 (numbers) + however many other characters they'd decide to include. It'd also take up a lot of inventory space. Even with that one suggestion to free up a lot of IDs, that's still a lot.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That'd be nice, but it'd take up 26 (letters) + 10 (numbers) + however many other characters they'd decide to include. It'd also take up a lot of inventory space. Even with that one suggestion to free up a lot of IDs, that's still a lot.

Or just use the resource-injection system for letters and symbols.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Or just use the resource-injection system for letters and symbols.
    I think you made a slight error when making this post.

That could work, as well. I'd still like to see it possible to increase the font size of display blocks to be larger.

Reaction score
    They just need to allow a larger font size to be set. It could really use some text alignment options too.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think you made a slight error when making this post.
    Fixed it, guess I removed formatting
    That could work, as well. I'd still like to see it possible to increase the font size of display blocks to be larger.
    Display blocks always have the display plane rendered. Afterwards peoples may ask to give the display plane a texture...

I wouldn't mind enhancing display-blocks with a block-sized letter if you can set a texture too.