AI Learning Curve

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As I was playing StarMade today I was working on my base when the Trading Guild ships were passing by. It gave me the idea of what if instead of there being a small chance to see a player made ship in the hands of the pirates, that instead there was an AI Learning Curve based on the ships and stations the AI comes across. Example: The AI sees your ship and "reads" it and learns from it so it can sort of adapt or take on player's building styles for ships made for war, cargo, salvaging, etc. This could replace that function in the game as well as make SP and MP harder and more interesting. Granted this idea would probably take quite a long time. Making an AI is hard enough but allowing it to learn and adapt to a style makes that much more difficult. But it's possible :D

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I.. don't think that is possible. AI's that learn are still super new in terms of existing at all. I don't know if there are ANY games with leaning AI. The closest thing to it would be RTS game AI's that build units to counter the ones player's make, but that's not learning, that's just a simple "If X unit is present on the battlefield, construct Y unit to counter it. Increase priority of constructing Y unit based on number of X unit present". That's basically how RTS AI works. What you're talking about is having an AI that can take a ship design, take it apart, find it's weaknesses, and then construct a ship capable of exploiting those weaknesses. And, if it's going to be at all acceptable to be part of the game world, that ship has to look at least OK. Doing all that is difficult even for humans, and the difference between the human brain and your average PC is like the difference between an enigma machine and C3PO. Making an AI capable of designing a starmade ship could take a team of experts in the field of AI with access to a supercomputer years. There is no way that basically Schema on his own, working with a normal home PC, could make an AI capable of designing ships, especially not one that could work on a home PC.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's possible.

You could dedicate your life's work to the system behind it though lmao

Reaction score
    I think it could be pssiable to put into the game, the shells of the ship would all have to be predefined. Becaise I would agree in saying an ai could not build ships from scratch. but with information warfare coming out , and the new build tools I dont see why the systems inside the ship couldnt be changed in a similar way as that of an rts. For example ,if the player has a large amount of shields then maybe the ai auto switches the cannon explosive to cannon ion. Or something to that effect.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Granted this idea would probably take quite a long time.
    "Long time" Doesn't even say how long this could take, considering it could even require an entire Rewrite of the game as it is now.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think it could be pssiable to put into the game, the shells of the ship would all have to be predefined. Becaise I would agree in saying an ai could not build ships from scratch. but with information warfare coming out , and the new build tools I dont see why the systems inside the ship couldnt be changed in a similar way as that of an rts. For example ,if the player has a large amount of shields then maybe the ai auto switches the cannon explosive to cannon ion. Or something to that effect.
    Now see that could work, but instead of having it switch out the modules, it would be much easier to just have the AI be able to choose from a list of ships what best suits the situation.

D

Deleted member 678402

I smell recipe for the Borg. If applied to pirates should be incorporated very mildly.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I smell recipe for the Borg. If applied to pirates should be incorporated very mildly.
    Only if we give it some sort of magic means of hardcountering anything within minuets of it being deployed, with ships that do not hardcounter just one thing, but in fact everything, in a way that defys the laws of physics as well as basic logic.