Read by Council Agriculture in starmade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    No offense to anyone's gaming taste, but I tend to regard people who complain about Minecraft's hunger system as noobs because it is SO ridiculously easy to build a little 9x9 block garden with water in the middle that will supply more food than you'll ever eat. On top of that, you get a lot of steak (best food in the game) as a byproduct of raising the cows for leather to make books to make an enchanting station. Afterward, you can continue to breed and butcher the cows for fairly large amounts of experience to use on your new enchanting table. If you don't enjoy farming and husbandry, you're missing a big part of Minecraft survival. You might as well play in creative or peaceful mode, or download Minecraft Beta 1.7.3. I won't argue that Minecraft's huger system is bland at times, but it's far from game-ruining.
    It's not that it's difficult to stay fed, it's that it adds very little enjoyment to the game as a whole. But it is certainly not the biggest reason I complain about Minecraft.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I actually found mining to be more challenging than securing food. The only time food has ever been an issue, is when I was playing some multiplayer minigame.
    I played Minecraft a little differently. I'd be a nomad - never really join a faction, just walk around and build a woolen tent when night came. I'd kill anything I saw during the day and cook it at night. Food was sort of a challenge, but sort of not. It made it so I had to avoid deserts and avoid running all the time.

Getting hungry during ship combat is why I dislike the idea of hunger in SM. Isolated to astronaut mode (a series of buff/debuffs and max health modifiers) would be fine though imho, provided you couldn't just spam eat everything to gain every buff ever.
    That would depend on how long your hunger bar depletes. For vanilla, maybe you'd need to eat out of a replicator once every 20 minutes? Battles hardly last that long.

If we are talking about growing crops and status buffs, why not a cooking and meal mechanic? Players could eat 1 meal every hour (online time, cooldown stops when you log out) for a buff that lasts 40some minutes (server time, logging out doesn't pause it). You could use the meal to customize the buffs the players would get, adding more reasons to grow different crops, rather than just spamming the 1 that gives the biggest buff.
    I really like this idea.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That would depend on how long your hunger bar depletes. For vanilla, maybe you'd need to eat out of a replicator once every 20 minutes? Battles hardly last that long.
    Might be an issue if you have to fly for 20mins before you get to the battle, but I suppose if/when we get Auto-pilot that's less of a problem. I would just like ship battles be dependent on pilot skill and the design of the ship, rather than silly variables. If you could do so in a way where the problems would be pilot error (say, making the aiming reticle bigger, thus making pin point aiming harder for example. Harder to aim over less accurate weapons), I wouldn't mind it. Things that would make it a bit harder for less skilled players, but don't affect those that are quite skilled at the mechanics.

I was never able to nomad in MC btw, I'd always come across this areas that I decided I must settle and try to build in. I also played modpacks like tekkit classic and FTB, so I needed a permanent place for them machines.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Might be an issue if you have to fly for 20mins before you get to the battle, but I suppose if/when we get Auto-pilot that's less of a problem. I would just like ship battles be dependent on pilot skill and the design of the ship, rather than silly variables. If you could do so in a way where the problems would be pilot error (say, making the aiming reticle bigger, thus making pin point aiming harder for example. Harder to aim over less accurate weapons), I wouldn't mind it. Things that would make it a bit harder for less skilled players, but don't affect those that are quite skilled at the mechanics.
    Wait, what silly variables?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Wait, what silly variables?
    There are none now, thought I read something in this thread about it affecting accuracy of weapons, probably just got confused with another thread though.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    How about we just enable hunger+thirst for NPCs?

That way we'd have some degree of maintenance requirement for fleet control.

Reactions: whooplaah
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about we just enable hunger+thirst for NPCs?

That way we'd have some degree of maintenance requirement for fleet control.
    I actually like this. Maybe you would have to have a certain number of galleys/cooks per crew, or other similar things.

Reaction score
    some kind of agricultural farming would be awesome but not to feed our hunger. It would better suited for growing manufacturing components. maybe Yholes can be refined to create some kind of power source for power capacitors?
    I compliantly agree with this. I personally would love to grow products for manufacturing that would definitely add a nice dynamic to the production process.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    In theory it's cool, but it just becomes time-consuming and tedious overhead. Additional clicking required to play that has nothing to do with space ships. I already have to work and shop and cook and clean just to feed myself and my family in real life before I can relax and play Starmade. For fun. I don't want to have to feed my toon and wipe ITS bottom as well. Because if it's about "realism" then obviously it wouldn't be realistic to have our toons eating so much food and never crapping.
    I mean... Where does it all go?
    Right??
    They need toilet blocks. Plumbing blocks. Sewage treatment blocks. Toilet-paper-roll blocks. Landfill blocks. Let's get realistic!

No, thank you.

Might as well force players to change the oil on their ships every million KM too, and tune up the engines, and wax the armor, and pay bills, and get day jobs in-game, and educate their sims - oh wait, that's a different game that already exists for people who want to babysit virtual humans instead of building fleets, and fighting in spaceships and stuff!

Now if you want to implement agriculture as simply a trade commodity... that I'd be fine with. As long as I don't have to pretend to feed my pretend space man. XD

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cubic meters of toilet paper everywhere....

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Personally, I think being able to refine plants down into capsules would be a nice use for planets, as they'd be the cheapest and easiest place to grow crops. An optional food system that provides buffs (health regeneration, and eyesight boost that lets you see cloaked ships at close range and lets you see in the dark better, etc) would also be nice.

space slugs
    You can tell your daughter that randomly generated creatures are planned, so if she looks hard enough when this is implemented, she might find some friendly space slugs to keep as pets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There are a lot of nay-sayers in this thread who don't want to have to worry about food because they want to go build or shoot down ships. But this is easily fixed by just buying the food from another player or faction member. Fighters can go fight, and farmers can go farm, and xenobiologists can go design new alien species, etc. to keep everyone alive, safe, and well-fed.

It's only a problem when you fail to stock up food before a trip away from shops.

Alternatively:
    7 Days to Die has an interesting hunger/thirst mechanic. The character has an invisible stat called 'Wellness' which determines how quickly stamina goes down when moving and what the maximum HP is and how quickly it regenerates. If you are chronically full your wellness goes up, and if you are chronically hungry your wellness goes down.

This means that you don't starve to death, you just become super easy to kill until you are no longer effective at combat and have to spend in-game-days recuperating. It also means that food isn't an instant-buff; you have to keep using it over time to build up your wellness and stats up to the maximum. Wellness also acts as a nexus for different stats such as hygiene, disease, injuries, and death/repawning.

This would keep the pilots from having to worry about food unless they use astronaut mode during their fights.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the idea of farms and such producing trade items; revenue for the players. What if the soon to be implemented NPC creatures (NPC humanoids too?) need food to survive? That would give the food a purpose without necessarily burdening the player... If you decided to take any NPC crew aboard your ship than you'd have to ensure they were properly provided for. That's better than paying them a salary! :p

I believe it's done similarly to that in the X games (x: albion prelude for example). Various edibles were used throughout the production process, though your character never had to eat/drink themselves.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Additional new block idea: nourishment dispenser.

You no longer have to imagine the ship having a food replicator. It can be a real block. When it's built into the structure, crew members never go hungry, and get their food bar filled up over time automatically, the longer they are in a computer/chair/otherwise actively "in" a structure. (Roleplay opportunity, you have to sit down in the station's restaurant to get full. None of that "click here to get full instantly with a meal-in-a-pill or health-kit-in-a-pill" immersion-breaking stuff you see in almost every other game and with the med blocks.)

High cost, both for energy and credits. Complex crafting formula. Gives the player the choice, while introducing the hunger mechanic to the game. So you never have to worry about eating ever again - but you need to pay for the block to have that freedom. Everybody's going to want one. It'll be a top seller, guaranteed. Operators are standing by.

Reaction score
    Maybe we could have a block grow a generic food item, depending on the pieces of ground stored in it (I suggest up to four). Also it could take soil from a storage unit and move the grown food into the chest, so the plant can re-grow. You could also store a stack of both soil and food, allowing you to convert the soil into food, with the cost of a lot of energy and time. Maybe taking a 5 minutes for a piece of food to grow and 500 energy per energy-tick, with the process going back one tick if the energy requirement is not met (i.e. if you don't have 500 energy, instead of having to go back to the beginning of the 5 minutes, simply makes so you need to pay for both tick you lost and the tick penality, paying with time and energy). This way, the food would be an automated process. Also, having two slots for food into the space suit makes so you don't need to constantly be near a farm, which I think should also be placeable on an asteroid. And I would also like being able to place the build block(s) on asteroids. You could have different types of food, depending on the soil used, i.e. the frozen planet would give off food which would give a slow HP bonus over a longer time, compared with the lava planet which would give off less HP but instantly, and the green planet would give a medium ammount of HP in a medium ammount of time. And the penalities for not eating would be just taking damage over time... every 5 minutes spent with the hunger at 0% would get you lose 5% of the health. And since you could just buy a stack of food from the shop and have it stored in your suit (where the built-in micro-controller is), you could just buy the maximum ammount of food a stack can hold and forget about it untill you start taking damage 5 years of gameplay later or when you're at a shop and you check if there's anything you need. And you could have the existing medical stuff converted into farms... or having farms in addition to that... since you'd want a way to keep yourself alive if you cannot buy or craft a farm... which shall be verry expensive, I think, since it creates food. And the food shall have the price small, while the farm shall have the price huge. Let's take a Cannon Computer being 10k (10 000). The price for one food shall be 0.1k (100) and the farm would cost 1m (1kk; 1 000 000)... and the system would check for food every minute, just so you don't have to worry so much about it...

Last edited: