Addition to warp drive

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    its not out, its out-ish it is currently in the dev build, but lancake mentioned in chat yesterday the dev builds just hit version 1.1639, so the next is 0.164, a major release :)
    Nope; 0.164 could just be another dev build. For all we know, the actual update will be, like, 0.175. :P

Reactions: starhaiden
    Reaction score
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I thought this thread was about warp scrambling/interdiction/whatever.
    Well, this falls into the interdiction category. I guess it is not offensive, but if added as a mechanic it would create a mechanic in which interdiction would not only make sense but be interesting. If your enemy is warping, it is not only possible to follow him it, but it is easy.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Too complicated. Too stupid.

CPU and Module to disable warp capability in a set radius that can be set on the server config. Keep it simple people!

Reaction score

CPU and Module to disable warp capability in a set radius that can be set on the server config. Keep it simple people!
    In my opinion the game needs a complicated layer of gameplay and not just slap weapons onto a core and you have a death cube.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    In my opinion the game needs a complicated layer of gameplay and not just slap weapons onto a core and you have a death cube.
    That's a different issue entirely. We're talking about WARP, not weapons.

You're talking about intercepting warp streams. Sounds too complicated and incredibly circumstantial just because aceface wants to recreate a 'le epic scence' from his latest movie fad. A Warp Inhibitor that just disables warp travel in an area would be a simple addition and add new depth to the gameplay without a load of complicated shit.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's a different issue entirely. We're talking about WARP, not weapons.

You're talking about intercepting warp streams. Sounds too complicated and incredibly circumstantial just because aceface wants to recreate a 'le epic scence' from his latest movie fad. A Warp Inhibitor that just disables warp travel in an area would be a simple addition and add new depth to the gameplay without a load of complicated shit.
    dude come on, pressing "warp intercept" on hotbar to jump into a recently opened warp tunnel is not complicated, and even if it is - it would be nice to have something "complicated" for a change.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    dude come on, pressing "warp intercept" on hotbar to jump into a recently opened warp tunnel is not complicated, and even if it is - it would be nice to have something "complicated" for a change.
    he means complicated for schema to implement
    dont wanna give him more work than he already has to do now do we?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    he means complicated for schema to implement
    dont wanna give him more work than he already has to do now do we?
    Schema wants a nice game and wants it mod-able. If this is required to make a nice game it will be done as soon as schema sees that it is required.

Addition to warp drive

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by aceface, Wednesday at 8:01 PM.

Not Addition of interception bubbles.

The problem about bubbles and StarMade is this:

Bubbles work to protect the centre from things approaching too fast.
    Bubbles work to trap somebody if you know where he will be (in EVE-Online, you do it between gates) of if you can catch-up and set up your bubble before the enemy can flee AND THEN are strong enough to finish what you want to do (boarding, killing, ...).

Bubbles don't work where routes are not predictable as players avoid stars, travel through random (one of 16+ times bubble size) void sectors to avoid planets loading or jumping into one...

If you want to protect a base, the bubble has to be 2x2x2 to 9x9x9 sectors big (2 to stop warping and immediately fire with short-range weapons, 9 to give peoples some time to jump to their base and protect it)​

Reactions: Ithirahad

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!

or you could just shoot their ship enough till they don't have enough jumpdrive blocks to engage XD in other words 'warp core breach'

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    How many times will you actually use this 'warp intercept?' How will you even know if someone is going by in warp? Considering that two of the FTL travel methods are instantaneous. It's an incredibly circumstantial thing that it's pretty much useless in the face in other, more efficient methods. Face it, you watched Star Trek: Into Darkness and you just want to recreate that one scene, by having Schema implement an entire feature that most people won't even use. Just strikes me as selfish.

or you could just shoot their ship enough till they don't have enough jumpdrive blocks to engage XD in other words 'warp core breach'
    My friend, the Gravity Well would like to like suggest a better alternative.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    err generalBLT13 a warp core breach is catastrophic explosion son that would not really work and the idea that warp jammers could be a cool thing it could delay or just stop warp drive but it should require a fair bit of power

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ugh, you will know because I said specifically that you can intercept a warp tunnel a few seconds after one has warped. And if you use some common sense, I think most people will see if someone were to warp. Now please just post constructive comments, otherwise get off this thread.

Reaction score
    @aceface #agreed

To get back onto the subject of intercepting warp tunnels and to possibly reroute some of the current hotheaded line of reasoning... The show Babylon5 has a lot to say about hyperspace, and although starmade is obviously not following a Babylon5 universe structure, I think that some of the concepts held therein (capital ships creating warp gates that smaller ships can follow them into, etc..) are feasible in the starmade universe.

What I am suggesting is not a cinematic effect which appears cool, I am suggesting that as the capital ship warms up its jump drives, a gate appears which then the ship moves into. Any ship which follows it in has its movement then set relative to the capital. Too far away from the source of the time/spacial bubble and you fall out of warp. Otherwise, you can move freely inside of a certain area near the ship.

This adds at least two interesting mechanics into space battles. First, you can effectively warp an entire fleet with a capital ship into battle. Second, if your capital ship is going to escape a battle, you need to be able to defend yourself long enough to keep others from following you into the gate you open. These two I think are interesting mechanics for warp drives.

EDIT:
    by the way, this also would be blindingly uncomplicated in-game. Just pilot towards the gaping warp-tunnel.

Programatically, I will let others decide!

Reaction score
    that's basically a wormhole, a stream flowing though a 4th diminution that can sow 2 points in space together, I think it would be MASSIVELY cool to be able to open alternate entrances and exits to this stream so ships could be pulled and sniped out of it.

that would make a way to avoid giant ships and blockades that block access to areas and allow players that are starting off on a server to escape

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Okay, and my constructive criticism is that this is highly circumstantial, and gimmicky feature that would be really complicated to implement and no one would even use it. A feature to disable warp is a far more practical application of combating enemy warp ability.

Constructive criticism =/= opinions you like. Just because you don't like what I'm saying, doesn't make it any less valid or any less true.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i know that but okay then,

moving a ship into a tunnel is not complicated

if you want to have a thing that disables warp i am not stopping you from making your own thread

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    We don't need 20 threads about Warp related suggestions. And that's suggesting that it's going to be a tunnel. Check Calbiri's thread, it's basically an enormous speed boost.