Implemented A way to prevent jump drives?

Which method would fit the game best?

• Ship-based inhibitor (M1)

• Station-based inhibitor (M2)

• Both

• None, we needz this escape plan xD

• Weapon effect (M3)

• EVE Weapon(M4)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Now don't get me wrong, I can certainly see your point, but I don't think anyone would willingly sit still even while using such a module.
    However would promote team gameplay, if you could drop people out of hyper space that would bring pirating to a whole new level

Reaction score
    That is actually an interesting idea.
    Pulling people out of a jump and then ambush them. I see one little issue here that would be needed to be solved here.
    You either need to "sit" in the jump path of the ship or "close" to it. And how do you know when and where a ship will jump?
    With close i mean only a few sectors off, so the system could pull someone over to you.

What would be also an interesting addition would b ea jump scanner. So you can get the jump coordinates of the ship that just jumped and follow it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Warp tracking.

Scanner's have limited function in my opinion, so I would say add to them the ability to track ships/targets for a minute or so. This way if a ship jumps it's enemies will know roughly what sector it went into and can jump/chase it.

Alternatively, create a tracking beacon/block/weapon that can be attached to an enemy ship. If you think an enemy is charging their jump drive or might use a nearby warp gate, hit them with the tracker so they stay on your scanner for a time. I see this working like a reverse salvage beam that creates a block on impact. Larger ships will have a harder time finding a tracker block attached to the hull.

After jumping out of range, a ship's position will no longer update SO:
    Ships with rapidly recharging jump drives can out-run slower ships by continuously jumping;
    Ships will have a few seconds head start to hide/cloak/remove a tracker in the sector to which they fled;
    Players that start a fight with a charged jump will only get one free jump, and have to charge again if pursued/tracked;
    If hit by a tracker, a fleeing opponent can be tracked from a few sectors away and there is less relaxing after only a single jump.

Reaction score
    Suggestions for this :

1) Jumping should drain ALL of your jump drive cores. Having 6 1-block jump drives that you charged with a keyboard macro is lame.
    2) Distance of jump should be proportional to mass and # of blocks. If I have one block jump drive on a million block ship, the jump drive should move me about 10 meters.
    3) jump should have a build up time, and energy fluctuation and damage taken during that time should potentially disrupt it.
    4) jump charge should be affected by drain and pulse.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Jumping should drain ALL of your jump drive cores. Having 6 1-block jump drives that you charged with a keyboard macro is lame.
    Limiting jump drives to 1 per ship would have the same effect. But some people build dedicated jumpships using that method, this would be unnecessarily killing off the dedicated scoutship/jumpship.
    the ability to track ships/targets for a minute or so
    Yes please, this would be an amazing addition to the scanner, and would help finding those elusive enemies too.

Reaction score
    Limiting jump drives to 1 per ship would have the same effect. But some people build dedicated jumpships using that method, this would be unnecessarily killing off the dedicated scoutship/jumpship.
    Well ... not exactly but mostly yes.

Basically scout ships would have to be designed around rapidly regenerating jump. People will adapt.

One jump drive per ship is a fine solution for me - if not, you won't be able to prevent someone charging 3-4 spare 1-block jump drives.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well ... not exactly but mostly yes.

Basically scout ships would have to be designed around rapidly regenerating jump. People will adapt.

One jump drive per ship is a fine solution for me - if not, you won't be able to prevent someone charging 3-4 spare 1-block jump drives.
    I already use this method, in fact, with Insta-jumpers instead of multiple jumping hardware.

Reaction score
    I already use this method, in fact, with Insta-jumpers instead of multiple jumping hardware.
    Which is fine - right? Your ship is balanced because it's designed to suit the role. You could not do that and also be armored, shielded and have massive weapons.

The point is that with 4 charged one block jumpdrives, someone can. I'm suggesting removing that so that they have to change their ships to suit role.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Which is fine - right? Your ship is balanced because it's designed to suit the role.
    I already have a ship designed to suit the role too - My Fast Response Quantum sacrifices weapons and shields for an 8 second jump charge, and uses only one jumpdrive.
    My point is that those who choose to have multiple jumpdrives on their scouter should't be unnecessarily punished by such a system.

This is kinda besides the point anyway - the thread is about preventing people jumping away, not limiting the usefulness of jump scouts.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Bump

DEVS? If you can, can you tell us which anti-jump system you have planned for the game, since there's a 'Planned' tag now?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Well I'm no dev but I think it'll prolly be a faction setting firewalling people out of owned sectors.

Reactions: Jake_Lancia
    Reaction score
    When I saw EVE weapon I was thinking more like the 'Warp Scrambler' module. Target enemy you don't want jumping, Activate module, 'nojump4u.troll.jpg' if they don't have the proper counter measures.

But we don't really have a proper targeting system, so I really like the 'activate module, create a warp scramble bubble' with it's size (Not really having a max size, but more and more modules would increase it in increasingly tiny increments) same with the length of time it's active.

Just a quick thought: Having a 'Warp Stabilizer' counter measure. But instead of completely negating the scrambler, it just reduces the effective radius for that ship. You won't be able to escape completely right away, but it'd take less time for you to enter jumpable space again than one ship without the Stabilizer.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Personally, I would call that poll biased as it pretty much calls anyone who doesn't like your idea someone with lower intelligence.

I would like the idea if it wasn't a serious way of abusing it to gank newbies if portable in the slightest.

If someone doesn't want to fight you, they don't want to fight you, simple as that. Get a bigger ship and deal more damage in an alpha strike if you still want to be a pirate. Personally, I'd say have it as a weapon system(convert damage to charge decrease), but have it cost shields to use rather than power to severely hamper it's effects and cripple the users ship. Basically if you want to force someone to fight you increase the risk to yourself far more than they are in to discourage it's use.

Reaction score
    how about a gravity well? an increasing field based on modules and their arrangement, like 10 block radius pr. module, and a bonus based on variation in the 3 axes. while the well is active the ship is static, which means ppl can leave the area and jump away, or you have to deactivate the well to follow them, but then they can jump away.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    how about a gravity well? an increasing field based on modules and their arrangement, like 10 block radius pr. module, and a bonus based on variation in the 3 axes. while the well is active the ship is static, which means ppl can leave the area and jump away, or you have to deactivate the well to follow them, but then they can jump away.
    Didn't think this thread would see any more attention anymore xD
    After deliberation I have changed my mind about jump interdicting/scrambling/whatever hardware forcing you to stay stationary. In fact...
    would promote team gameplay, if you could drop people out of hyper space that would bring pirating to a whole new level
    I like the 3 axis method of creating the bubble to prevent the jump, it would allow for customisable bubble sizes and the like to suit whatever situation you're in. Soulds a lot like the good old Imperial Immobilizer 514 Cruiser from Star Wars too.
    Also, with the three months or so I haven't added to this thread, I have additional ideas now. Perhaps there would be natural areas of jump interdiction, like some kind of nebulae or cloud of some kind?

...Which reminds me, I'll add this to my Universe Improvement Compilation thread.

Reaction score
    Scale a 'prevent-warp' effect by the mass of the ship in relation to it's target. A massive ship shouldn't be scrammed by a tiny ship, but it should be more easily tracked based on it's size. In this way, if any kind of official fleet mechanic gets put into the game then you could apply the same technique to encompass combined mass in relation to the target.

Reaction score
    I'm not opposed to interruptible jump drives, but I would rather have the ability to trace jumps.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well looks like this finally got implemented. Well done to the devs who have made this a reality.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    yes! fianly it is implemented, my Interdictor 418 cruiser can finaly become real!