Implemented A way to prevent jump drives?

Which method would fit the game best?

• Ship-based inhibitor (M1)

• Station-based inhibitor (M2)

• Both

• None, we needz this escape plan xD

• Weapon effect (M3)

• EVE Weapon(M4)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'll give my two cents and say inhibitors/interdictors can work for stations and ships. I think there needs to be a reasonable restriction for ship interdiction though, making it harder to escape, but not impossible.

If interdiction works as a certain radius or field which I assume is the most desired outcome, an interdictor needs to have 2 attributes to limit it.
    1. While interdictor field is active, the ship must remain stationary. This is to prevent ships with large fields from just following another ship so there is no escape. This will encourage players to work together in teams to make good use of an interdictor.
    2. After the field is turned off, there is a cooldown dependent on how many modules are in the group similar to scanner and jump drive charge time. This is to reasonably limit ships from just switching on and off their fields as they close in on a target ship.
    Stations are not subject to this since they are already stationary in the first place.

For the area of effect size, I figure there are three ways to go about it.
    1. Static size for all ships
    2. Size dependent on ship size (linear or exponential function based on longest ship dimension)
    3. Size dependent on module placement (similar to the way power works, or the way engines used to work, grouping bonus, etc.)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'll give my two cents and say inhibitors/interdictors can work for stations and ships. I think there needs to be a reasonable restriction for ship interdiction though, making it harder to escape, but not impossible.

If interdiction works as a certain radius or field which I assume is the most desired outcome, an interdictor needs to have 2 attributes to limit it.
    1. While interdictor field is active, the ship must remain stationary. This is to prevent ships with large fields from just following another ship so there is no escape. This will encourage players to work together in teams to make good use of an interdictor.
    2. After the field is turned off, there is a cooldown dependent on how many modules are in the group similar to scanner and jump drive charge time. This is to reasonably limit ships from just switching on and off their fields as they close in on a target ship.
    Stations are not subject to this since they are already stationary in the first place.

For the area of effect size, I figure there are three ways to go about it.
    1. Static size for all ships
    2. Size dependent on ship size (linear or exponential function based on longest ship dimension)
    3. Size dependent on module placement (similar to the way power works, or the way engines used to work, grouping bonus, etc.)
    The part about the interdiction field, specifically keeping the ship stationary. How about we just drop the interdiction sphere on a fixed location while the ship continues to maneuver. Nobody will use this module if it renders them immobile. They voiced this concern when hyperspace modules were announced. I figure it would just be easier to set the interdiction field to calculate it's size based on sector size. The ship size and modules it is sporting determines it's lifetime and the recharge rates. Much easier to coordinate this way. Keeps things simple.

Ooh I like this one, giant pulse-style sphere stopping jumps definitely appeals to me :)
    Permission to add this idea to the OP and the poll?
    Yes go ahead. Glad you like it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    they escaped, either let them go, or use scanners to track them down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    The part about the interdiction field, specifically keeping the ship stationary. How about we just drop the interdiction sphere on a fixed location while the ship continues to maneuver. Nobody will use this module if it renders them immobile. They voiced this concern when hyperspace modules were announced.
    That's a good point. As long as the AoE stays stationary and fixed but not the player, it wouldn't be too OP and can grant the player more freedom.

When you say sector based sizes, are you talking about the entire sector being inhibited or a certain percentage of the sector size being used to determine the raidus of the field around the position of the ship? Because if it simply interdicts the entire sector, you run into a situation where an interdictor chasing a ship near the edge of a sector has it's very feature at a disadvantage by the fact that the ship is already near the edge of the sector and can escape a lot faster than if it were smack in the middle.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    When you say sector based sizes, are you talking about the entire sector being inhibited or a certain percentage of the sector size being used to determine the raidus of the field around the position of the ship? Because if it simply interdicts the entire sector, you run into a situation where an interdictor chasing a ship near the edge of a sector has it's very feature at a disadvantage by the fact that the ship is already near the edge of the sector and can escape a lot faster than if it were smack in the middle.
    Stop beams xD

In all seriousness I see this as a way to balance such interdiction, as the two main ways to escape such a field would be either destroying the interdiction computer and/or the whole ship, or to simply attempt to fly to the next sector.

Other news: I encourage everyone to edit their poll choices as I've had to overhaul it to fit the new ideas in. Multiple choices are allowed now, so don't bother choosing 'Both'. I need to learn how to use this damn forum and its features properly xD

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    That's a good point. As long as the AoE stays stationary and fixed but not the player, it wouldn't be too OP and can grant the player more freedom.

I was thinking a percentage of a sector size. The effect could carry over into other sectors if ships were inside the boundaries.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dude this would be totaly crap. if you have a capital ship and see a small little tiny tiny ship you just use that M1234 and prevent beginners from surviving a bullier aint fair, the station is not bad though

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Dude this would be totaly crap. if you have a capital ship and see a small little tiny tiny ship you just use that M1234 and prevent beginners from surviving a bullier aint fair, the station is not bad though
    Spawn protection. Problem solved

Reaction score
    Jamster0000 you might want to update your poll so you can't vote for "Both" when there are more than 2 options ;)

(Or is it impossible to delete poll options?)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd like any of these options, but I prefer the effect system the most.

Reaction score
    Well i am suprised that i read some voices against using an interdiction system in a home base.
    For my taste i would actually say that is almost a must have for a home base.
    Attacking a home base or raiding the sector should be a major undertaking and/or a risky business.
    So a "field" or system that prevents jumping in or out a home base sector would actually be great. You still can fly in fire but you actually need to fly out of the sector (or interdiction range) to be able to jump so you need to "expose" yourself to defensive fire (which if it is ai turrets can be easily reduced or negated by a jamming module).
    So still doable but more risky.

As for a system in a ship i get the mentioned issues, no one is stopping an interdiction ship from following you and prevent you from jumping.
    No idea here at the moment how that could be balanced. The weapon effect sounds reasonable (and in game terms more doable) but i am more of a fan of a system that affects a certain area.

I am not sure if many of you are aware that the jump drive has a cool down. By default it is 10 milliseconds but it can be changed in the config.

So an idea might be that the interdiction system works as a pulse weapon that (maybe) resets the jump charge of all ships in the affected area
    and sets a cool down of several seconds on the jump drives. Here i would put a limit of a maximum of 45 to 60 seconds on this cool down so that being hit by multiple interdiction systems won't jam you for an eternity. The interdiction module should then basically work as the jump drive, you have a computer and modules that needs manual charging and has a cool down after use. The loss of jump charge and increase of cool down on the jump drive should be proportional to the difference of module blocks between the interdiction system and the jump drive.

Oh and i would limit this system to one per ship.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    For my taste i would actually say that is almost a must have for a home base.
    Attacking a home base or raiding the sector should be a major undertaking and/or a risky business.
    So a "field" or system that prevents jumping in or out a home base sector would actually be great. You still can fly in fire but you actually need to fly out of the sector (or interdiction range) to be able to jump so you need to "expose" yourself to defensive fire (which if it is ai turrets can be easily reduced or negated by a jamming module).
    So still doable but more risky.
    I can certainly see your point here. Looks like I'm gonna have to agree on this one actually and say home base interdiction wouldn't be unbalanced. Sure, it'll make attacking the home base that much harder - but still not impossible like I first thought.

Reaction score
    - A weapon effect, can only apply to beams.
    - You need 100% efficiency
    - Can only have one attached to your ship/station.
    - I agree that ship/station must be stationary.
    - Beam removes charge, it does not prevent jumping, it ignores shields. (having or not shields is of no importance)
    - Beam main mass to Target mass ratio must be in a certain range (you cant use OP beams to to jam tiny scouts, nor tiny beams to jam titans)
    - Depending on ratio is the speed of drain.
    edit: forgot:
    - First beam that hits is the one that works. if multiple beams hit a single ship there shouldn't be stacking effect.

Reaction score
    As someone who plots galactic domination I approve of this message and here is my 2 cents as well.
    -It should require massive amounts of power lets say 1-2 mil e/s which would mean either a massive capital ship with high regen or a ship with its singular purpose being interdiction of warp drives or a station with its purpose to prevent people from escaping ie: my homebase.
    -It should be immobile.
    -The inhibit field size based on X,Y and Z factors like the scanners.
    -Whatever the distance, the inhibitors ship location is essentially being broadcasted to all ships being prevented from warping. That way having a massive inhibit field could end up being detrimental to you...

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    -It should be immobile.
    Nobody will use this module if it renders them immobile. They voiced this concern when hyperspace modules were announced.
    He said it far better than I can...
    Even working in a strike team I doubt someone would actually want to sit still out of the action just because they want to prevent someone escaping. A better idea would be to calculate the centre of the field at time of firing, and have the field remain there. That way the ship can still chase the enemy while removing the problem of an interdictor with mobile fields chasing the target.

Reaction score
    He said it far better than I can... Even working in a strike team I doubt someone would actually want to sit still out of the action just because they want to prevent someone escaping. A better idea would be to calculate the centre of the field at time of firing, and have the field remain there. That way the ship can still chase the enemy while removing the problem of an interdictor with mobile fields chasing the target.
    The only reason I say that because I thought it would be more balanced, honestly Idc because every server I go to my 20mil shield Hiigarran battlecruiser with 20+ turrets and watnot is the best ship on server and the nearest any ship came to mine had 9mil shields and tiny. I was hoping to balance it in others favor XD

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The only reason I say that because I thought it would be more balanced, honestly Idc because every server I go to my 20mil shield Hiigarran battlecruiser with 20+ turrets and watnot is the best ship on server and the nearest any ship came to mine had 9mil shields and tiny. I was hoping to balance it in others favor XD
    Now don't get me wrong, I can certainly see your point, but I don't think anyone would willingly sit still even while using such a module. The previous idea
    calculate the centre of the field at time of firing, and have the field remain there.
    would be a better incentive to let people use it without the problems of interdictor ships with mobile fields.