Recognized A small change to crafting recipes?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    First time posting a suggestion, but, here it goes.

So, I enjoy making and using multi colored ships, and use a lot of wedges, tetras, heptas, and even some corners, but then later when I am ready to build the ship in survival things get a little more time consuming.

Right now if you open a factory, you have to search for the color of wedge you want to make, and, as always, the recipe is just a full block of that color. So, my thought is why not make this into just one recipe, such as calling it "wedge" and then insert the color of hull you want to have wedges of. This way we don't need to search "(insert color) hull wedge", then place in the blocks and then change it again to make another color. This would make it easier when you are first starting and don't have a massive factory for every block. Also, this would cut down on the number of factories you need to be able to produce all the colors of hull. While one set back would be if you had a color of every hull in the storage attached to the factory you would get wedges of all of those colors, even if you don't want them, however, you could always have this one factory not attached to a storage, or just put hull in this storage as you need it.

I know not everyone will agree, but maybe some people will find this so much easier. Hopefully you might consider this small change.

Edit: Maybe this could be done to the recipe for standard and advanced armor as well. So again you wont need to find the exact armor, instead just select "(select armor strength) Armor" and have any color of hull, and the needed hardener.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the old factory system, there were premade recipes that could be bought from shops - Harden hull, Expand hull, Convert to <color>, Convert to <shape>
    These would change all hull types to the target type. Very useful for dealing with what came from loot clouds.
    I'd really like to see these return.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    crafting of all the hulls is rather tangled and crappy imho

why can't each stage just have "add paint" and become the colored variant?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    They way I handle that is with several basic factories, one for each color of paint, one for grey hull, and then one for each color of hull, the ones for colored hull are all hooked up to the paint they need and the grey hull. But since I don't like having massive factories, I use one factory for the wedges, tetras, heptas, and corners, and would love to see it made easier to use that one factory without spending 2-3 minutes having to search up the hull that I want and then waiting just to pick another color and do the same thing. Same goes for how I handle standard and advanced hulls. After all, who wants to go program hundreds of factories so you can make just the hull you will need.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ...After all, who wants to go program hundreds of factories so you can make just the hull you will need.
    yeah, if blueprints could "order" the factory to auto-build or something

Reaction score
    i also think to cut down time the recipes should be 1 standard armor = 2 wedges sense the wedges are exactly half a block
    1 standard armor = 1 hepta and 1 tetra as the tetera is the missing piece of the hepta

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i also think to cut down time the recipes should be 1 standard armor = 2 wedges sense the wedges are exactly half a block
    1 standard armor = 1 hepta and 1 tetra as the tetera is the missing piece of the hepta
    No. A fairly clear precedent about such logic has already been set; part-blocks have the same mass and HP as the full block, and I get the impression that will not be changing any time soon. From that, one can deduce that any other change based on the idea that a half-block is less than a full block will also not occur.

That being said, your post does mention in passing a mechanic which would be useful; the ability to reshape part blocks back into full blocks. Logically nonsensical (where does the extra part of the block come from?) but mechanically quite sensible, especially with the precedent for part-blocks being identical in all but shape, somehow.

Reaction score
    you can have half a block and still have the full hp of the full block at least in an enviroment like this i just wonder why there is so much waist in starmade
    aslo i would also like to mention if you have wedges like from basic hull sense we no longer rely on crystal infusion and now use a hardener capsule could we not just harden the existing basic hull wedges to be standard wedges(tetras heptas and corrners) ? same with standard to advanced

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I personally think that all crafting recipes for wedges, heptas, tetras, and corners should be removed and those blocks should be treated in a similar way to half slabs. Like you would craft a red hull block, and then decide the shape you want when you place it. The square version of the block would be consumed for any shape you place.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I personally think that all crafting recipes for wedges, heptas, tetras, and corners should be removed and those blocks should be treated in a similar way to half slabs. Like you would craft a red hull block, and then decide the shape you want when you place it. The square version of the block would be consumed for any shape you place.
    I agree with this, it would make building much easier if you don't even have to craft each individual shape. At the very least shipyards should be able to use the full blocks if none of the shapes exist.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think this warrants a new "Hull Cutter" factory block which has all of the old conversion recipes. And indeed, shipyards and blueprints should only require full blocks.

Reaction score
    I think this warrants a new "Hull Cutter" factory block which has all of the old conversion recipes. And indeed, shipyards and blueprints should only require full blocks.
    And/or the shipyards requesting materials from factories.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would like to see the shipyards requesting items from the factories as that would make things a lot easier when using a shipyard. As for another factory, I don't know if I would actually like that when we could change the current factories to use the old recipes, at least that way it wouldn't take making another block, that needs its own recipe, and that everyone has to remember that they need.

Reaction score
    I would like to see the shipyards requesting items from the factories as that would make things a lot easier when using a shipyard. As for another factory, I don't know if I would actually like that when we could change the current factories to use the old recipes, at least that way it wouldn't take making another block, that needs its own recipe, and that everyone has to remember that they need.
    Lots of threads about that, my favorate is Recognized - Raw Resources used in Shipyard BP Construction

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hopefully we will see it set up at some point, but I know its not easy to code a game and do changes, that is why I wouldn't really want to see another factory made just to use the old recipes for wedges and such.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally it bugs me that wedges and slabs have the same mass and volume (in storage) as their full block counter-parts. I've corrected this problem in my single player, and changed the recipes accordingly. I hope these changes are made to the vanilla game, but I wouldn't suffer too much if they weren't, so long as I'm free to make these changes for myself. Heck, I've even changed the mass and health values to match real life units.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally it bugs me that wedges and slabs have the same mass and volume (in storage) as their full block counter-parts. I've corrected this problem in my single player, and changed the recipes accordingly. I hope these changes are made to the vanilla game, but I wouldn't suffer too much if they weren't, so long as I'm free to make these changes for myself. Heck, I've even changed the mass and health values to match real life units.
    How exactly do you store slabs? When you pick them up you should get the full block. I for one would much rather have full stat wedges as I would not want angled portions of a ship to have less protection then pure flat parts. This change would actively punish anybody who shapes their hull and reward those who just build cubes and right angles. Sure you could put other blocks under the wedges to counter the reduced HP but that just adds more weight and defeats the entire purpose of reducing the weight in the first place. You cannot reduce the weight or cost without reducing the stats as it would be to easy to just built flat portions of a ship with the flat edge of the lighter block or cheaper block.

I don't think of a wedges as cutting a solid block in half. Who knows what the internal structure of a hull/armor block looks like. It could be mostly hollow and is just reshaped when turned into a slab or wedge or other shape.