Suggested A Simple Test Sector Recommendation - Allow Creative Mode

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So this idea is to simply give creative mode in the shipyard test sector, so that players can test their ships out in real-time, while building in creative mode, on a multiplayer server, using the multiplayer server settings.

Why, you might ask? A lot of people move to single player creative mode, rather than build in a shipyard, when they need to do a lot of testing, because it's a lot easier than building in a shipyard and entering the test sector over and over for each change. We don't want people to deprive the server of their presence when they need to do a lot of testing, do we? If you want to get snazzy, the shipyard could also update the shipyard design with the ship entity when exiting the test sector, but to start with, people could simply save blueprints.

What prompted this was two events that happened just recently. I spent a week alone on single player creative mode, building a ship for a server competition, because I had to be able to test everything out step by step, and that just wasn't efficient enough in a shipyard. Also another person on my server, at the same time, spent most of his time in single player creative mode and as a result his faction mates were kind of miffed and grew kind of bored. Many other players also spend a lot of time in single player creative mode when working on ships, and their presence is missed, and unfortunately it detracts from the social cohesion which is one of the fundamental glues that holds together sandbox games like this in multiplayer.

I think simply allowing creative build mode in the test sector would be a quick and easy solution, and more could be added later to better incorporate it into the shipyard (such as auto-saving the spawned entity to the shipyard design).

As always, thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Reactions: HolyCookie

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I knew I'd heard this suggestion before.
    I had to hunt a bit since it was not an intuitive title for searching.

Recognized by Council - Virtual Ship Construction Sector

Most importantly,
    Ah, I had searched but did not find that one. The guy's original idea was a bit different, but then the consensus seemed to match what I posted here. Thanks for pointing me to an existing thread. I'll +1 it! :)