Read by Council A simple suggestion about Targeting

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Nah. Using chaff or obstacles to break people's lock is a neat tactical thing that I would hate to see go.

Also, pro-tip- Disable docked and turrets on nav. It'll make getting a lock a lot easier.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Nah. Using chaff or obstacles to break people's lock is a neat tactical thing that I would hate to see go.

Also, pro-tip- Disable docked and turrets on nav. It'll make getting a lock a lot easier.
    Yeah, I know about disabling docked/turrets, but at the same time I WANT to target turrets. Also, disabling docked/turret entities in nav doesn't solve the problem for groups of pirates. If you've ever sat there for several minutes while hunting pirates, losing your target over and over.. then you know my pain. lol

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah, I know about disabling docked/turrets, but at the same time I WANT to target turrets. Also, disabling docked/turret entities in nav doesn't solve the problem for groups of pirates. If you've ever sat there for several minutes while hunting pirates, losing your target over and over.. then you know my pain. lol
    If your lock keeps getting broken by a swarm of pirates, try using a different tactic. Ever used lock on missile turrets? They're very useful.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If your lock keeps getting broken by a swarm of pirates, try using a different tactic. Ever used lock on missile turrets? They're very useful.
    All my ships now have gigantic turrets on them. But it's not exactly exciting sitting there letting the turrets do all the work. The only thing I do now is sit and watch. No more targeting frustration for me.. I guess..

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    All my ships now have gigantic turrets on them. But it's not exactly exciting sitting there letting the turrets do all the work. The only thing I do now is sit and watch. No more targeting frustration for me.. I guess..
    Turrets are supplementary weapons. You use them to deal damage while also dealing damage with your main gun.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Turrets are supplementary weapons. You use them to deal damage while also dealing damage with your main gun.
    Not when the turrets you have are gigantic. Then your turret is your main weapon.

Reaction score
    Not when the turrets you have are gigantic. Then your turret is your main weapon.
    I gotta agree with Lecic on this, no matter how gargantuan thine turret, it is still a secondary weapon.
    (though it does lead into the funny mental image of a tiny ball-cockpit with a ship-sized turret docked around it)

Failure to build/install a primary weapon does not suddenly make the turrets into a primary.
    Heck, half the reason turrets are a secondary, is because of the difficulty of keeping them alive.

Reaction score
    Took me a bit to remember this bit, but here ya go.

Iowa-Class Battleships, specifically the Guided Missile refit.
    At that point, they DID have their primary weapon.

(and the turrets were superflous so long as missiles were still available. 23.some Nautical miles is great and all, except the missiles go father, are more accurate, and generally get there faster.)

On the other claw, please, show me a wet-navy ship with a Spinal-mounted weapon.
    I don't know of any, except in other videogames.

Most StarMade vessels are either built around, or rather prominently feature a Spinal-mounted weapon.
    Oh, and StarMade even has that nifty little "shot-cone" in which your pointer (and resulting shot) can deviate an indredible 30 degrees off-axis.

So, I think my point is still valid.
    Though that was an amusing comeback, NTIMESc. 'Bout killed myself laughing so hard.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Took me a bit to remember this bit, but here ya go.

(and the turrets were superflous so long as missiles were still available. 23.some Nautical miles is great and all, except the missiles go father, are more accurate, and generally get there faster.)

On the other claw, please, show me a wet-navy ship with a Spinal-mounted weapon.
    I don't know of any, except in other videogames.

Most StarMade vessels are either built around, or rather prominently feature a Spinal-mounted weapon.
    Oh, and StarMade even has that nifty little "shot-cone" in which your pointer (and resulting shot) can deviate an indredible 30 degrees off-axis.

So, I think my point is still valid.
    Though that was an amusing comeback, NTIMESc. 'Bout killed myself laughing so hard.
    good point, and thanks for informing me on this badass class of ships!
    but this
    part was unneccessarily hostile to NTIMESc

Reaction score
    Odd, how exactly is that last line hostile? I really did about kill myself from laughing so hard.
    Mostly because I wasn't expecting that particular response (from anyone) as I'd simply not thought anyone would make such a comparison.

My normal response to that kind of harmless surprise is a fit of laughter.

Or is this a matter of the "funny" like-tag being a negative on this forum?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Odd, how exactly is that last line hostile? I really did about kill myself from laughing so hard.
    Mostly because I wasn't expecting that particular response (from anyone) as I'd simply not thought anyone would make such a comparison.

My normal response to that kind of harmless surprise is a fit of laughter.

Or is this a matter of the "funny" like-tag being a negative on this forum?
    oh sorry i thought you were being a cynical prick like many others on this website.... good day!

-flies away-

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Darn! I was hoping no one remembered the VLS that was added 40 years later.

I suppose they're not really "fixed", but do chase guns on sailing frigates count? (don't answer that)

OP derailing aside, my point (if I ever had one), was that a BFG is in the eye of the beholder.
    :cool: I'm going back to my own little world now, where I can have turrets as main guns if I want to.

We now return to the OP, where having lock-on targeting prefer the selected target is a good idea.

As a compromise, what about first having to get the target highlighted with the lock-on, then pressing 'F' (or some other key) to fix on that target, as long as it stays in the lock-on circle? (in other words, no pre-selecting the target with Nav).

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I gotta agree with Lecic on this, no matter how gargantuan thine turret, it is still a secondary weapon.
    (though it does lead into the funny mental image of a tiny ball-cockpit with a ship-sized turret docked around it)

Failure to build/install a primary weapon does not suddenly make the turrets into a primary.
    Heck, half the reason turrets are a secondary, is because of the difficulty of keeping them alive.
    When your ship is 7m blocks large and takes about 30 minutes to turn in 1 circle, your turrets are your main weapon.

If you have user-controlled weapons, you probably won't be able to use em. Just saying. ;)

But either way, turrets have better AIM, attack instantly, can have much more power efficient weapons systems, can use chained power reactors.. A properly built titan's turrets will completely dwarf the main ship weapons in terms of DPS and power efficiency. And if the ship is large enough, it no longer makes much sense to even have any weapons at all as your "primary." And if you think it's a good idea to rely on the titan for your DPS, then your ship is gonna sink pretty quick.

Last edited: