Read by Schine A more Realistic Feel- Hear me out:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hello reader,

I am Zero, I love to fight in PVP and PVE, I like to steal ships with my torch and take them over right under my enemies nose. (I really don't like to mine so I have to make a living somehow) I think in starmade's current state, it is very easy, and very hard to raid people.

How its too easy: Looking under diplomacy tab and searching a faction for their home base. Then popping over to their system to see if their are any stations they owns that are not faction home, and if they have none, I am praying they left some ships undocked.

How its Hard: Everyone always docks everything to their un-damageable Home base, and that means the only way to raid is thievery from an active player who could be anywhere. Peoples turrets will shoot inside their ships with missiles to hit the enemy trying to take over:

The Solution: Here is what I think: I think that faction info should show only the system and not the sector, change the map so that it does not include space stations, and take away faction home invulnerability. Then make ships have a radar prescience depending on size, so even a large ship with a jammer is a lot more detectable then a small jammed ship, so that when people enter your system in a huge ship looking for your base it says someone is there. But when someone has a scout ship they will not be detected until they are really close to your sector. I think you should also change scanner to say when you are getting close to something in the system, like *Presses scan* "scan info in nav panel" then you check it and it says something like *unknown object 2 sectors away" and then they can check it out.

Last thing: It should alert allies when someone enters your ally's system, so if that person is offline their ally can help stop whoever is looking for their friends station.

This will add a ton more gameplay because right now its very very hard to raid someone and I would love for it to have more of an actual space feel, with mechanics that are balanced so everone does not just constantly fly around in huge ships and know where everything is exactly, cause then if someone does not like you, they can sit at your base and make u sit their doing nothing powerless in your infinite hp base of overpoweredness...

Just my thoughts, please consider this,
    Thanks for reading this,
    Zero

Reaction score
    but if they homebase was killable, then some player who hates everyone who may just happen to have a massive mothership (a fleet of motherships i mean) can easily come and screw over the homebase of a 3 minute old faction, so my point

Reaction score
    I too think it's not a good idea to basically take away the only save place for peoples stuff. (though agree on the other parts of this suggetion)
    Maybe that works for big factions with lots of dedicated players, but if you're a small faction or lone wolf, the last thing you want is to see all your stuff including what was still in the construction, vanished just because you had to go to sleep or work at some time.

It would be better to give people some reason build installations other than the homebase (Mines, taxpaying colonies, a reson to have armed border checkpoints or maybe mechanics to make shops more profitable or so)

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think the game is ready to remove faction home base invulnerability yet, but I think it needs to be done eventually.

Hiding your home is difficult or impossible in the current game. This is because the galaxy map gives you free info on EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE! I don't think even the home system should be listed in faction info. That's just silly. Instead, give the faction the ability to list a location if desired (such as advertising a shipyard business).

Reactions: Sha3es
    Reaction score
    Taking away home-base invulnerability would be too much right now, but I agree with most of everything else.

Reaction score
    If you read what I'm saying though, It would not be easy to find a base, the diplomatic factions tab would just so a system and not the sector, and the map would not show the locations of stations. It would become kind of like star wars how they have hidden bases and stuff, and only after sending quite a few scouts they would be able to find the location of a base in a system. (Or Something like that)

Reaction score
    i see your point, but from what i've seen schema is pretty certain they want us to be able to see any bases location easily, so...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i see your point, but from what i've seen schema is pretty certain they want us to be able to see any bases location easily, so...
    Source?

In the current state of other game mechanics, yes, this probably shouldn't change yet. But eventually, as I stated in my topic, faction bases' artificial invincibility should give way to using the more natural protection methods of defended and/or hidden locations, which would require the map no longer showing everything.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I use google translator, sorry if there is a grammatical error.

Right now, any player who wants to do evil to others, it is very easy, the hand-made and ready galactic map; I think the factions not only need, must have a way to protect from to people who choose the role of piracy, I personally hate those kind of people and their actions, but it is a game where the PVP always active and are never safe from being attacked by other players.

I think there should be some option in the panel of faction, to be able to hide the exact location of the base set as home base, either not showing it on the galactic map or the bases in the system are not visible to other players and / or features.

The scanning system ships, need improvement to be activated with logical block and to be put not only on ships, also in space bases, since we all know that the system needs a player this to be activated, and player who wants to hurt, exploited this disadvantage using a cloaked ship, and negating any defense that possesses.

I too like the PVP and PVE, (as a player of game EVE Online) but I like doing it honestly, involving a challenge, and not being a thief that the only thing it does is wait until everyone is asleep to steal the work of others it has cost so much effort to get ... if you want it, you must earn it, if you need it, find it yourself, dont be the scum of the universe.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I use google translator, sorry if there is a grammatical error.

Right now, any player who wants to do evil to others, it is very easy, the hand-made and ready galactic map; I think the factions not only need, must have a way to protect from to people who choose the role of piracy, I personally hate those kind of people and their actions, but it is a game where the PVP always active and are never safe from being attacked by other players.

I think there should be some option in the panel of faction, to be able to hide the exact location of the base set as home base, either not showing it on the galactic map or the bases in the system are not visible to other players and / or features.

The scanning system ships, need improvement to be activated with logical block and to be put not only on ships, also in space bases, since we all know that the system needs a player this to be activated, and player who wants to hurt, exploited this disadvantage using a cloaked ship, and negating any defense that possesses.

I too like the PVP and PVE, (as a player of game EVE Online) but I like doing it honestly, involving a challenge, and not being a thief that the only thing it does is wait until everyone is asleep to steal the work of others it has cost so much effort to get ... if you want it, you must earn it, if you need it, find it yourself, dont be the scum of the universe.
    But isn't it fun hunting down a thief and destroying their base? Not so easy when they have an invulnerable home base to hide behind, is it?

I agree with Zero. Partly, because we need villains to have heros. We need challenges to make the game interesting. And the possibility of loss gives value for what you hold onto.

I think making bases harder to find, but no longer invulnerable would be good. It would make people want to protect their valuables. It would make people want to band together for safety. It would encourage innovations, like better ship security systems. However, with this, I think there needs to be more tools available to players to help defend their bases besides the bases being a little harder to find. I'll list a few of my recommendations below:

Allow auto-scanning:
    Do not just tell someone when another player is in their sector by magic. Make them have to use a scanner to get these types of updates, but allow the scanner to be on an automated scan cycle using logic. Do not make using a scanner on a cloaked ship cause them to lose their cloak, but perhaps reduce the effectiveness and range.

Cloaked Bases:
    Allow players to cloak their bases, requiring a ship to scan for it to actually see it. They would have to get closer to the base in order to reveal it. If too far away, make the scanner simply show that there is a cloaked entity nearby. (It seems like this may already be one of the intents of the makers of StarMade based on the bug that is currently present.)

Allow ships to remain cloaked, energy permitting. -- This one is pretty self-explanatory. Perhaps the ship blocks of a cloaked ship would appear somewhat like the shipyard blocks do to those who can see it without having to scan for it.

Modify the mechanics of how scanning works:
    Make scanners use more power, so it is harder for a ship to have an auto-scan running all of the time. Allow the size of the antenna to determine how FAR the scanner scans and how effectively it reveals cloaked entities and bases. The more antenna the scanner has, the more power needed to initiate that scan. Also, the scanner would become very important for combat as well. Only allow a weapon to attack as far as the ship can see, up to the maximum range. Ships will always have a certain range of vision, but for farther out targets, they will need to use their scanner to see them and to make use of their extended weapons range. Even though their missile systems have a range of 52k, they cannot attack a target they cannot see, but if that entity sees them.. watch out! So, for example, a base that has a huge scanner and good range missile turrets, which is scanning frequently, will detect an entity in the system and attack it if set to do so.

Change the way scanners log information:
    Rather than giving a synopsis of all types of information, but only 5 scans worth, give a log instead. If a player is sighted at a certain time of a base, have that entered into the log. If a cloaked ship was detected, but it was too far away, enter the coordinates that scan was initiated and the time. Do not enter information that is exactly the same as the last scan, and allow more information to be retained.

Extra ideas:
    - Allow the scanner log to be displayed on a computer system console, which a player brings up with the R key. Give this block different permission levels to determine who can view the scanner log. Have a simple output at the front, like with a display module, and make it customizeable. For example, perhaps it shows if a ship was detected within the last day. Or maybe it shows a synopsis of the overnight scan. "Three ships identified, one friendly, 1 unknown, and 1 enemy ship" To get the more detailed information of the scans, the system console would need to be brought up.

So, those are some of my thoughts. There are many different correct answers I think when it comes to a game like Starmade. Nobody likes exactly all the same things. But for me, I like playing in a world that encourages people to work together for safety, gives opportunity to help defend yourself and your friends, and gives you opportunity for revenge. Invulnerable faction homes invalidates these things.

Thank you for your time. :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: CaptainTaz