A knee jerk-reaction on knee jerk-reactions

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Ammendments will take the form of white-text.

This was going to be a long an detailed post about how all of you, and myself, are acting like fucking entitled idiots but I feel that we've had enough of those so I'm going to simplify it down into something that I'm sure everyone can finish reading before getting overly self rightous and dismissing the whole thing.
    • Moderation as a whole is fucked, a poor decision was made to introduce large changes at a time when the communities own history tells us tensions are garuanteed to be high, this has escalated peoples emotions to the point that even otherwise good changes (Like IMO the mentor system) have served only to further divide people. Warning points too have effectivley ceased to exist, people are punished or outright banned without explanation or warning. ̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶m̶a̶-̶b̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶0̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶.̶ Apparently I had my chat permission removed by accident when I was de-mentored...
      ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶n̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶m̶p̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶ However there is still the question as to why I was left unable to access chat despite the fact that I did inform at least one member of the dev team that I was unable to access chat.
    • People as a whole are even more fucked, half of the arguments these days are more about the argument that came before them than their supposed topic. Community members that acted rationally in the past now make sweeping statements and shout down anyone who disagrees. People are heavily divided and more self rightous than I can put into words. The PVP crowd as reached incel levels of self justification blaming any and all problems on their persecution by the RP crowd and the RP crowd itself is just as bad, seeming quieter for the moment only because these kinds of emotions tend to swing back and forth and its not their turn to be self rightous pricks right now.
    • Dev communication is, if not deliberately malicious, certainly accidentally so (This section is likely biassed in favour of the devs)
      -Schema himself says as little as possible and perhaps in a normal flamewar this would be the right idea but it comes of as high-horseing.
      -Saber and Criss are perhaps doing the best job of maintaining a semblence of normalsy but have proven slow to react, sometimes you have to just do what everyones yelling at you do to even if you don't quite understand why yet (In regards to your threads guys)
      -AndyP and Lancake, honestly I can't say those guys have explicitly done anything wrong (I've heard of comments surrounding Lancake but don't know enough to comment) but their relative absence from the forum, for which I can't blame them given its current state, leaves behind a sense that devs are not paying as much attention to issues as they should. Sometimes the mere presence of those orange names means more than anything they could say.
    Overall I can't even blame anyone, or even a group for the present state of affairs, the reactions of the devs and moderators is a perfectly understandable 'WTF all hands on deck just do something we'll figure out what that something is later' reaction to the state of the community and at the same time the state of the community is also a perfectly understandable reaction to recent changes to the game and how the initial reaction to these was handled by the devs and moderators. Ultimately it was likely a series of otherwise harmless events that fed upon eachother to result in the present shitstorm, and while I'm in no position to say it, those events weren't so much a cause of the present state of affairs, as they were the release of pre-existing tensions that hae been building for years upon the ever increasing expectations and self-entitlement that every single one of us holds about this game.

Glossary about sections. If you have a question the answer may be in here:
    • The main big issue was the introduction of new rules right around a time of high tension, this created a feedback loop of already angry people being punished for it thus making them even angrier, this is likely a large contributor to the present rift between moderators and the rest of the community.

To be ultimately fair, asside from a few slightly overzealous messages in chat right after the family-friendly rules were proposed theres no evidence I can think of, of such rules actually being enforced, however the mere proposal, followed by the utter vagueness about its specifics, turned it into a spectre to which otherwise normal events could be attributed. This was ultimately just as bad as actual enforcement.
    • The mentor system unfortunately acted as a multiplier to existing problems, unfortunate timing caused the mentors to be effectively put on a pedistal at a time when the community was not happy with the percieved authority, this turned the mentors themselves into points around which people could pool their emotions further increasing the fracturing of the community and escalating existing grivances.
    • A big one here is the importance given to 'winning' arguments over actually reaching a useful conclusions. This has resulted in a lot of flaming and shouting, as well as demonization of perceived opponents on a level not seen since the mushroom fleet fiasco. As a result many arguments end in phyric victories where even the apparent winner has ultimately destroyed any useful gain in exchange for one more chance to spit on their 'opponent'
    • Timmidity and sensationalisation has compounded other issues, many mundane discussions are never carried out because the people who would normally have them are trying to avoid getting dragged into the drama, this isn't helped by the fact that such threads are often dragged off topic by users who want to use them as a soapbox. As a result the general patter that would normally dilute the more inflamatory topics is largely absent.
    • Mostly lack of communication, huge gaps leave people nothing to do but speculate and much of what is said only adds fuel to the fire. Initially more word from the devs would have banked the flames but at this point things have gone too far and no matter what is said its going to be construed as something else.
    • Fragmentation of information, this is important because existing information acts as a brake on speculation and its very presence calms emotions to some extent. Unfortunately what information is out there is somwhat split, but more importantly community members are expected to remember pieces of information from months past. Guys if your going to mention something you said on the frontpage 3 months ago please actually provide a link to the post.

Last edited:

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    I was wondering why I was hardly seeing you around... when did that happen?

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Like girl part 2, and I don't understand why you are perma banned from chat, perhaps you have POWER?

G

GDPR 302420

I agree with all points with the exception of your point regarding PvP vs RP/PvE crowds.

As Thingie already explained, the RP/PvE crowrd is the only group who comes onto threads that are relevent to game balance and spread their uninformed opinions and incorrect information, the moderation bias agaisnt the PvP crowd when they have to defend themselves and explain to already hostile RP/PvE community members why they are wrong is effectivly a moderation sponsored misinformation campaign.

This does not happen the other way around, PvP players will never hijack a thread about a subject they do not intend to ever participate in and spread misinformation about that subject. The only time PvP players will ever engage in a thraed made by an RP/PvE community member is if a suggestion for the benefit of PvE/RP would inhibit PvP in some form or another.

"Both sides" is a terrible generalisation and perhaps you did this to not seem biased, but the reality of the situration is that the RP/PvE crowd maliciously hijacks threads about PvP, spreading misinformation and the moderators happily assist this misinformation campagin and demonisation of the PvP crowd. This does not happen the other way around.

The RP/PvE crowrd are the ones taking shots PvP playerbase and the only thing the PvPers are doing is defending their playstyle. To imply that the PvP crowrd is somehow doing similar or is just as bad is a misinformed statement, although knowing you I doubt this was intentional and perhaps it was a miscommunication or a misunderstanding.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    the reality of the situration is that the RP/PvE crowd maliciously hijacks threads about PvP, spreading misinformation and the moderators happily assist this misinformation campagin and demonisation of the PvP crowd. This does not happen the other way around.
    I'm tempted to say "this can't possibly be generally true", but instead I'll merely ask for examples, and say that I still highly doubt that this is true beyond a few particular characters.

G

GDPR 302420

I'm tempted to say "this can't possibly be generally true", but instead I'll merely ask for examples, and say that I still highly doubt that this is true beyond a few particular characters.
    Here are two examples, will find more later.

A case study in factions- The solution to everything
    Misinformation regarding ranks and permissions, stated that the current permission system makes it hard to trust people when in reality plenty of mechanics are avaliable. Proceeded to engage in an argument spanning almost an entire page when his misinformation was called out.

My two cents on encouraging PvP conflict in a stagnant universe
    PvE player who can be quoted saying he never PvPs and never intends to hijacks PvP brainstorming thread with generic "grr pvp" crap and pulls thread off topic in an argument spanning half a page.

Reaction score
    What gets me is the assumption that a player can only be interested in either RP or PvP. That's ludicrous and flat-out wrong in my experience, there's plenty of PvP players that also are interested in roleplaying elements or aesthetics in general. And as it's been mentioned many times before, a ship can have RP design elements and still be quite potent in PvP, and a ship can be good at PvP while still being mainly RP-oriented. It's neither particularly difficult mechanically nor really discouraged socially to do both.

I find the divide to be a bit nonsensical on the surface, but what it seems to actually be centered around is a divide between people who care about optimization, effectiveness, and an understanding of how systems and game mechanics work, versus the ones that don't understand nor care. And honestly, if you don't understand nor care, then by all means go ahead and have your fun with the game, but you have nothing to stand on as a platform to preach to anyone else from willful ignorance and I question why you'd be actively posting your opinions on the forum in the first place.

G

GDPR 302420

What gets me is the assumption that a player can only be interested in either RP or PvP. That's ludicrous and flat-out wrong in my experience, there's plenty of PvP players that also are interested in roleplaying elements or aesthetics in general.
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I have never said or implied this at all.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I agree with all points with the exception of your point regarding PvP vs RP/PvE crowds.

As Thingie already explained, the RP/PvE crowrd is the only group who comes onto threads that are relevent to game balance and spread their uninformed opinions and incorrect information, the moderation bias agaisnt the PvP crowd when they have to defend themselves and explain to already hostile RP/PvE community members why they are wrong is effectivly a moderation sponsored misinformation campaign.

The RP/PvE crowrd are the ones taking shots PvP playerbase and the only thing the PvPers are doing is defending their playstyle. To imply that the PvP crowrd is somehow doing similar or is just as bad is a misinformed statement, although knowing you I doubt this was intentional and perhaps it was a miscommunication or a misunderstanding.
    In response to your second paragraph I refer to the first pargaraph of yours I quoted. At no point can I remember any PVPers actively acting against RP players but what I do see is a lot of productive discussions ending up derailed into a circlejerk about stuff said by RP players did, a circlejerk about a circlejerk as it were.

In this specific case you didn't actually do that, I'm just using your paragraph as an example of the kind of thing that I've seen cause the derailment of a thread when shoehorned into a conersation.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    No one is 'maliciously attacking the PvP' community and the rest of the community isn't 'hostile'.

What we have here is a small group of players who don't know how to communicate. If something is posted that you perceive as incorrect, outdated or game breaking information, the intelligent and rational thing to do is post the correct information and say "Hey! They fixed that in the last update!" then continue the discussion. You'd be surprised at how well that works. Instead, these same members just have to start a fight over it, insult people then derail the thread. Then they complain that the mods are 'biased' when they receive warning points for being an ass; unaware that those who they get into fights with get warnings as well.

Only a handful of forum members does this. Everyone else at least tries to have the discussion.

I get that the internet tends to bring out a side of people that you normally wouldn't show (if you know what's good for you) in public. However, this forum is starting to be viewed in the same way many other online gaming forums are; toxic. As addictive as StarMade is, I know quite a few people who have declined to try (or let their kids try) StarMade or have stopped playing; citing this forum as their reason. With all the bickering that's been going on lately, it wouldn't surprise me if the dev team was purposely distancing themselves from this forum. They've already mentioned that this is a contributing factor to the infrequency of their posts.

TL;DR: This isn't kindergarten. If you disagree with someone, have the discussion, stay on topic and don't start fights.

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Schine is heavily biased towards the PvE and RP players. Thats just a fact.
    Take the power 2.0 update for example. While most people thought the power system needed balancing, everyone BUT the PvE RP players hated Schine's idea. And instead of listening to the majority of players who actually knew 2 shits about what they were talking about, Schine went with the RP and PvE players, cuz they were the ones most likely to suck the devs off after it inevitably failed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What we have here is a small group of players who don't know how to communicate.
    They might not say the nicest things but believe it or not they are communicating and their information is good. Is more diplomatic language called for? Possibly, but then if we are all so polite, where would you know where people stand? Have you ever 'handled' some one in customer service type situation? It's not a great feeling when you get a little heated and suddenly realize your being 'handled'. The thing is when your being handled like that, you have to realize is that the exchange is done for the most part. They have already made up their mind about you and are simply doing the necessary song and dance to get you out of there presence. I would much rather see some genuine expression rather than 'handling'. It makes for a very stifling environment. Perhaps everyone should 'handle' each other for a while and see how that makes everyone feel?

As addictive as StarMade is, I know quite a few people who have declined to try (or let their kids try) StarMade or have stopped playing; citing this forum as their reason.
    Starmade's promotional image does not match the general makeup of the player base and that is a major problem. There needs to be a restructuring of SMD to separate the kids and adults. Not only would it make the site look better but it would also keep the brats out of the older player's hair. The people who want to talk a little rough, especially being in the majority should be able to do so. How do you protect tender ears? Send them out of the room while the adults are talking.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Take the power 2.0 update for example. While most people thought the power system needed balancing, everyone BUT the PvE RP players hated Schine's idea.
    Not correct.

And I would say that opinion on systems 2.0 isn't directly divided along (silly, damaging) player classifications. The people who don't like it are the ones who knew the old system best (which corresponds pretty well to people who are experienced PvP players, hence the illusion), because these are the people that effectively "lose" their knowledge, expertise, and prestige if the system they were experts in is thrown out.

So for example a player who loves nothing better than PvP and joins SM tomorrow isn't going to be opposed to systems 2.0
    And as a milder example, myself, who joined not long before systems 2.0 was announced, has found it much easier to accept (although I was against the change at first) than the experts in the old systems, although I'm neither PvE nor RP.

And the people emotionally flailing against systems 2.0 are going to hate any replacement no matter what it is, because the crux of their angst is the (partial) loss of their expertise.

Last edited:

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Not correct.

And I would say that opinion on systems 2.0 isn't directly divided along (silly, damaging) player classifications. The people who don't like it are the ones who knew the old system best (which corresponds pretty well to people who are experienced PvP players, hence the illusion), because these are the people that effectively "lose" their knowledge, expertise, and prestige if the system they were experts in is thrown out.

So for example a player who loves nothing better than PvP and joins SM tomorrow isn't going to be opposed to systems 2.0
    And as a milder example, myself, who joined not long before systems 2.0 was announced, has found it much easier to accept (although I was against the change at first) than the experts in the old systems, although I'm neither PvE nor RP.

And the people emotionally flailing against systems 2.0 are going to hate any replacement no matter what it is, because the crux of their angst is the (partial) loss of their expertise.
    I think you misunderstand. The reason why people hate the power 2.0 is NOT because they would loose knowledge. If it gets released, experienced players will be able to figure it out much quicker than most. Most PvP players want improvements on the power system.
    The real issue is that Schine's definition of improving a system is to scrap the whole thing and start over with something brand new.
    I could live with this if the power 2.0 system wasnt:
    A) Needlessly more complex than the old system
    B) Requires more blocks and shit than the old system
    C) Limits ship designs even more (stabilizer distance bullshit)
    D) Is buggy as hell
    F) HIGHLY exploitable and broken (spaghetti ships)

The biggest problem by far is the fact that the devs decided to do this 5+ years into alpha, in a game with a dying community. The LAST thing Starmade needs is another system that will drive players away. What Schine NEEDS to do is to listen to the majority, and make changes people want such as AI crew and better fleets, and bugfixes. And by bugfixes, I mean the GAME BREAKING SHIT such as the fact that clients still leak info only server admins should have like a fucking roof underneath a piss pool.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Nicely short sighted are we he!

People are not opposed to Power 2.0 because it is new or different from what they are currently using. They are opposed because Power 2.0 is an inferior system that offers nothing new and twice the trouble.

Where is that Star Trek warp coil? Or cool ship engine? It is just some random chambers. Whoo hoo progress!

People are offcourse sad that the stuff they build thousands of hours on gets rendered useless. And spare me the you can just adapt easily comeback. Offer me something new, nice and engaging so that what I am using now looks old and obsolete. So that I can not help myself to want to switch to a new system.

PvP, PvE or RP has nothing to do with it. StarMade is just space, blocks and a mountain of very weird, conflicting and difficult to understand settings.

Play Style is done server side. StarMade is not setup to be played in any one style. Only when a server admin starts to tweak it does it get usable. Servers that are setup without any modified settings are just do what ever you want sandboxes. Funny enough some of those are highly popular! Very few people like to follow orders over something they do for fun and relaxation in there spare time.