A "condensed logic" block solution

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Currently, the way logic works in this game, we put down a bunch of logic blocks, link them together, and create a wide variety of automated functions.

There are a few problems with this: it takes up a lot of space, it is a very tempting target, and it leaves a lot of lines going through out ships.

One solution occurred to me: text logic programs. It would operate the same way a lot of software operates, you use simple programing commands. Think of it like programing in jmp, tableau, or excel. It would use simple logic chains. You would write a "program" from a text menu, that would be based off of commands named after the logic blocks, then upload this command to the computer, and connect that computer to the things you need connected to. The computer would do all the logic that was written on the program, which is replacing all the blocks that we used to place. This has a lot of benefits, as the community could upload better working programs the same way that they upload logic blocks.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A few people in the community would like this and for the same or similar reasons you mentioned above.

Quite a while ago I suggested a universal computer block integrating with storage and display modules that would address this issue. You would use something similar to the log book for code based instructions and it also allowed people to create logic using the logic blocks inside the computer instead of in your ship if you wanted to. Sadly, nothing came of it. :(

Reaction score
    It it's supposed to be a condensed logic block, why not use a hardware description language like Verilog or VHDL?
    That would make it work like an FPGA in real life.

Reactions: philthy mcnasty
    Reaction score
    a great idea, but it should not fully replace the standard logic blocks. (My opinion)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    a great idea, but it should not fully replace the standard logic blocks. (My opinion)
    I agree with this. I think that there should be a cost associated with the more advanced computer.

It also occurred to me, that the same computer can also be adjusted a bit. We can have TWO types of programs: a logic program that links with stuff, and a NAVIGATION program, that when linked to a jump drive or thrusters, will autopilot a ship via per-programed waypoings.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    it should not fully replace it you would need to know all the commands the language would be hard for those who would not know it to understand and it would just take away the wow factor from most logic circuits as well as the fact that my spellchecker thinks this entire comment is a typo

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    it should not fully replace it you would need to know all the commands the language would be hard for those who would not know it to understand and it would just take away the wow factor from most logic circuits as well as the fact that my spellchecker thinks this entire comment is a typo
    One of the reasons why i suggest it, is it will add an educational factor to the game. I think the condensed computers should be extremely expensive, but should be there for capitol ships to make them more "spacy"

The current logic blocks are cheap, and awesome, but they take up room, and make a great target. You break a logic circuit, and you can cripple a very nice ship real fast. While this does add a level of strategy to space combat, it also can be a cheap way to ruin what should be a sound design of a ship.

Reaction score
    Instead of adding a language to learn for people it could be done with the already existing logic blocks, something like the below:

Add a "Computer" Block that can house a specific number of logic blocks (the number it can hold could be increased by memory cores, like a datacenter adding new hardware for capacity; compare this to the storage/cargo system currently)
    once you have the computer block, you could access it with the standard usage interface and get placed into a virtual space where you could build your logic system, up to the amount of blocks your computer/memorycores support

when finished with your logic system you could link the whole computer to what you wanted to control.
    expand it later by adding memory cores to the computer, etc

this would give logic systems a flexibility, simple systems would be easier to do without the computer/memory, larger complex timers, etc could be done with the computer.

Edit: forgot to mention, it could be done in a way that seperate "exit" nodes exist in the virtual space for your logic system, so you could even connect it to several entities at once (like all connected systems will show inside the virtual system so you can link the output of a certain block to specific pointers,doors,rails,etc. maximum number of "outlets" could either be handled with the increase of memorycores or by a third block that could be added, like a connectorblock (connectorblock would need a double link for the computer though, so memorycore blocks would be more feasible

the whole system would still be a prime target as it powers your creation, leaving the tactical aspect in the game of trying to target vital systems, and since its capability is defined by the memorycore size it would still take up a amount of space to be a viable target.

this way you could even build redundant systems, if your primary gets hit, you could switch to a secondary using a inner ship remote,etc

in the long run i think this would be a "simpler" solution to logic systems getting to large for the ship than adding in a programming/scripting language

just my two cents

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It's an old game now, but was one of my favorites - Roboforge. The game allowed you to design robots, create numerous states (arm up, arm down, turn torso left, etc.). Then, it had a bunch of icons, similar to the logic blocks we have in StarMade, that you could click to quickly create code for the robot. The code would tell the robot to activate the various states that you had captured earlier. In this way, you could tell the robot to turn it's torso left and right so that it's scanner could detect an opponent. When an opponent was detected, you would have code to tell it to face the opponent and approach it. When the enemy was in range, the code would tell your robot to start swinging its arm up and down until the enemy was no longer detected.

Without knowing coding language, I found the system to be fairly intuitive to use, and it allowed for the quick creation of some pretty in-depth AI. I had a robot that would constantly circle around behind the enemy to strike it from behind and try to remain undetected - it had to keep track of both the opponent and the arena walls to avoid getting cornered, keep its distance, and also adjusted its aim to strike at vital components on the enemy.

Really, I don't think it would've been too difficult to have a module that brings up an interactive panel, similar to a display module, which would've allowed a similar interface in Starmade.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy