Universal Computer Block

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've had this idea for a long time, and it surrounds both computer functions in-ship/station, AI and NPC.
    At the time I didn't feel confident enough to post here, since there are loads of people submitting cool ideas and thought I might be pushing my luck.

The following is taken from a note I wrote down for myself at the end of April (23-Apr-2015).
    Sorry if it has already been submitted somewhere else. And I'm sorry if this seems like a whole mess. It's just a basic brain dump I did for myself.

Today I thought, why not focus on building a computer system in game that can be used manually or automated.
    - Expand on the Bobby AI & NPC capabilities, since the block and NPC have a menu driven system already.
    - Give them built in logic systems like the logic blocks.
    - Give them a base OS with basic capabilities.
    - Maybe a scripting system, which is much the same as giving commands.
    - Perhaps an ability to script commands.
    - Can start small, as it has already.

Not sure creating a new block is necessary. We already have logic, factory and computer blocks.
    - Perhaps expand the capability of computer blocks. Make them more like real computers.
    - Maybe swap all computer blocks for a single generic computer block, Memory blocks, Processor blocks and incorporate with the existing storage block.
    - Computers can be treated like an iOS/Android style device with an App Store. Apps would be complicated to simple scripts maybe?
    - Would eliminate the need for logic blocks, but I would incorporate the logic blocks into the computer. In like a mini game using the Starmade engine to program.
    - You could eliminate the ships log and make this an App.
    - Basically, the inside configuration of the computer would be a universe to itself.
    - Not sure if that's practical, but it would recover block IDs and shrink logic systems for ships/stations/factories.
    - Bobby AI, would now become an App.
    - Making this block would take considerable variation in ore resources, which is where the recovered IDs could be used.
    - NPC could be a humanoid/android style version of this computer block. Naturally with a higher cost and advancement in technology.

The Universal Computer Block
    - Base OS/CPU/Memory/Storage on-board for simple functions, perhaps the existing Bobby AI and NPC functions. Much like what you get with iOS & Android.
    - Additional Processors (CPUs) increase clock speed
    - Additional Memory increase number of Apps simultaneously running as well as data handling like blueprints, logs, message logs whatever.
    - Additional Storage for blueprints, logs, files, Apps, etc like mobile devices of today.
    - With Storage blocks combined with computer blocks this way, it would allow simple conversion of Structure/Components or Components/Structure.
    - Relay/Sensor blocks would be used for manipulating hardware (doors, lights, weapons, whatever)
    - Configuration maintained using mini-game that uses the Starmade universe engine.
    - Perhaps limit the size of the universe to the size of Memory/Storage available.
    - Physical blocks would be the App on storage.
    - Memory space taken up by the App blocks + data created by these Apps.
    - Move the logic blocks here and expand on them with additional blocks. They would make up the App.
    - The mini-game for building the App logic or whatever could be replaced by a storage style slot system, but I like how you can build circuits in 3D like they are now.
    - Perhaps the computer block could have one side dedicated to a custom texture that is made by the blocks. For custom displays of Apps. This would be the screen and touch interface.
    - Maybe a Screen block would be better. Then you could make screens of any size based on the number of blocks you connect.
    - Naturally, all this should come at a power cost as it does in the real world. Power could also be used to effect the functions, as in optimum vs buggy vs dead computers.
    - Would be able to take out the power systems to disable the computers for easy salvage and less waste.

NPC Android/Entity/Shell
    - Base OS/CPU/Memory/Storage on-board for simple functions, perhaps the existing Bobby AI and NPC functions. Much like what you get with iOS & Android.
    - Add-ons would have to be mini-game related.
    - Additional Processors (CPUs) increase clock speed
    - Additional Memory increase number of Apps simultaneously running as well as data handling like blueprints, logs, message logs whatever.
    - Additional Storage for blueprints, logs, files, Apps, etc like mobile devices of today.

This would open up the ability to buy/sell computers purpose built, Apps, Data, Hardware, etc.
    An advanced computer block would be the controller of the replicator or assembly plants or whatever.

Reaction score
    This is one complicated and versatile idea. But I love it. Would be nice if you only needed one to control an entire ship, turrets and all with the Bobby AI app, and have the option to take control of just the turrets, or just the ship, or both. (of course only the turrets if on a station.) And I do like the Idea of having all the logic in the central computer too. Maybe it would have the ability to take control of shipyard building as well.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What I like most is, with this idea you would'nt just be making a ship, you would be making a friend. How cool would that be?

Reactions: Lone_Puppy