You know what is REALLY missing from this game?

Reaction score
    CREATURES. I really don't like landing on hundreds of planets and the only life I see is plant life. Do they ever plan to add some sort of animal life to the game?

Reaction score
    CREATURES. I really don't like landing on hundreds of planets and the only life I see is plant life. Do they ever plan to add some sort of animal life to the game?
    Yes, this is a planned feature. Keep in mind that this game is a work in progress.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    An entire update just for Fauna (living creatures) that are procedurally generated from a library of parts is on the roadmap. :) Crew and quest updates are coming first I believe, then the Fauna update will have much more use.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is still one creature in the games files, Old Spider Spawn
    You can follow the instructions there to play around with them.

Edit: For those that want to know, you can force the old default stations to spawn by using a clean/empty default stations folder.

Last edited:

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    ... if fauna is planned ... i want my personal space NyanCat ...

Lol, you never know what the procedural generator might create! With enough searching, the virtually infinite possibilities would probably result in you finding one! :D

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I very much doubt it will be completed in just one update.

Let's not forget the space whale, either.
    I didn't mean the whole thing would be complete in one update, anyway. :p
    Can't wait to see if the Space Whales will be ride/tame-able or not! There's gotta be some use for them.

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    Wait, the creatures are gonna be procedurally generated? Why is this game forgotten unlike No Man's Sky?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wait, the creatures are gonna be procedurally generated? Why is this game forgotten unlike No Man's Sky?
    Advertising, mostly. There's also not much to do in the game besides building atm, so most individuals get bored quickly. Of course that will change once creatures and other stuff come out, but in the meantime starmade is more of a build game.

Reaction score
    Advertising, mostly. There's also not much to do in the game besides building atm, so most individuals get bored quickly. Of course that will change once creatures and other stuff come out, but in the meantime starmade is more of a build game.
    Hopefully when the game is fully done, they can do something about that and spread popularity. I just hope when that time comes little kids don't call this a copy of NMS even though it came out a good while before NMS was announced.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Procedural is *technically* an incorrect term. The first few creatures that will be released will be whole, one piece creatures. But after we have the system in place we'll have a Modular system. Basically think of Lego people, where you can use different legs, heads and torso's. With our modular system we'll be able to use different legs, arms, heads, wings, spikes, tails, etc. with a wide variety of other parts, creating a much greater diversity of creatures. It isn't exactly the same system as No Man's Sky or Spore, but it is similar in concept.

I just hope when that time comes little kids don't call this a copy of NMS even though it came out a good while before NMS was announced.
    We're hoping people will say, when talking about NMS. "Yeah but you can't build like in StarMade." ;)

Reaction score
    What this game is really missing is a reason to play multiplayer besides checking out other players builds

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    What this game is really missing is a reason to play multiplayer besides checking out other players builds
    Yeah, there are a few things that are planned to fix that. But you already know that.
    We just have to be patient.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hopefully when the game is fully done, they can do something about that and spread popularity. I just hope when that time comes little kids don't call this a copy of NMS even though it came out a good while before NMS was announced.
    NMS will have the better visuals, hands down (because all the models are made out of meshes, not blocks, which means that they look more organic and smooth). However, from what I saw you can't build in NMS, that's where starmade massively differs.

The exploration part will be similar, but the rest? In NMS you discover new modules for weapons and ships, in SM you build them :D (way more fun imo).