YOGS PEOPLE OVER HERE (and other new players) aka FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Reaction score
    Welcome to Starmade!

The huge influx of new players from the yogscast's spotlight has made it extremely difficult to keep track of the issues new players are having, and/or the questions they've been asking. There are, as of now, more than 300 people on our chat. We cannot deal with that many people in a legible way. So that's what this thread is for.

First, and most importantly: If your question is not answered, please search the forums and check the starmade wiki (availible here). There is a high chance you can find an answer this way, without having to wait for us to get around to you. Seriously, do click that link guys

Something you guys must realise is that our game is still in development, and there exist lots of bugs or oversights that simply do not have a solution. This is the nature of an alpha game; you'll just have to deal with it.

Finally, if you do have a problem, please do not create a thread entirely consisting of 'Game doesnt work, please help'. We can't help you if you don't tell us the exact nature of your problem. We need specifics. Unhelpful topics such as 'doesn't work' followed by posts like 'yeah' and 'happens to me too' only serve to clutter up the forum. Don't do this or your post will be deleted.

Oh, and I must stress, if you haven't done the tutorial and you don't know how to play, that's kind of your own fault. Go back and do the tutorial. You might learn something!

The questions:

How to start the game?

Before the game can start, it needs to be downloaded through the launcher by choosing 'Update and install latest version'. The 'start game' button will be greyed out until you do this.

How do I join multiplayer/My game won't connect to the server?

To join a multiplayer server, you need to know the server's address. You can find these in the servers section of the forum. Plug the address in to 'host:port' on the game's launcher, choose 'Multiplayer', make sure you've picked a screen name, and start playing. More info: http://wiki.starmade.rtag.me/wiki/index.php?title=Multiplayer

Please realise that our servers are currently overloaded with new players. You may have a hard time getting in. I suggest playing single player instead.

A list of servers is availible here.

I am on a mac and the game crashes!

Refer to this link for mac support issues.

I get to 100% loading and the game crashes!

This problem is a common one, and is sometimes fixed by updating the drivers for both dedicated and integrated GPUs. We mentioned this on the quick start guide.

This may not solve the problem. Sorry, folks. Allpha is alpha.

I get a java-related error.

Make sure that your java and video drivers are up to date. Feel free to open a thread on the support forum only after you have searched the forum to see if someone's already had this problem solved for them.

The game doesn't download.

Make sure that you are running the downloader with administrator priveleges, and that it is allowed to access the internet (your firewall/antivirus/whatever might block it). If it still doesn't work, ask on the forums after searching them first.

How do I reset my game world/start a new universe?

In the 'connection setup' screen (after the launcher) there is an option to reset universe under the tools menu. This will wipe your game world so you can start fresh.

How do I save the ships I build?

Opening the inventory allows access to the 'catalog' tab, located near the bottom of the menu. You can use this to save things you build. While inside the ship you want to save, click 'create new entry'.
    You can spawn ships from the catalog by going to a shop and purchasing them.

How to fly my ships?

Once a ship is built, you can enter it by pressing R while facing the ship core. There are two modes: Building mode, and flying mode. You can toggle them with space. In flying mode, use WASD to control the ship.
    A ship will not fly if it does not have thrusters or enough power.

I can't shoot!

In order to fire guns, they need to be connecting to the weapons computer. This is done with the c and v keys in build mode. You must also assign the guns to a slot on your hotbar. Do this by pressing T while inside the ship to bring up the weapons menu, and then pressing the number of the slot while the weapon is selected in the menu.

I spawn miles away from my ship when exiting it.

This is a common bug with the game. The spawn algorithm is still being worked on. Alpha is alpha.

You can get closer to your ship with the /jump command.

How to use the map?

The map is availible with K. You can rotate it with the right mouse button, and zoom by holding shift, the right mouse button, and scrolling all at the same time.

How do I transfer ships I make to multiplayer?

In the catalog (see previous questions for details) there are the tabs Personal and Availible. When on multiplayer, a list of player made ships you can purchase is availible through the availible tab. To add your own ships to this list, you use the button Upload entry from local. You must have saved your ship to the catalog prior to this.

Note that it is buggy and does not work on some servers.

How do I change the universe speed limit?

Inside the starmade installation folder is the file server.cfg. It contains config settings for your game. In that file, the value THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT represents the speed limit of your world, in kph. You can change this to a higher value if you wish, but be aware that too high values will result in physics tunnelling issues. Note that it is only effective on your own single player game. Servers have their own speed limits.

How do I rotate peices when building/use symmetry?

While in build mode, you can hold CTRL to allow addtional functions when building, including orientation, symmetry and the ability to place more than one block at once. The orientation of a block can be changed in the top-right corner of the menu. Note that only certain blocks can rotate.

How do I change my skin?

The skin template is availible at StarMade\data\image-resource\defaultMale.png. Like minecraft, you modify it, and then upload it using the 'modding' menu in the game's Connect Setup panel.

Hosting a multiplayer server with hamachi

If you don't know how to use hamachi, you're going to have a bad time. Google is your friend here, you'll work it out.

What do I get if I buy the game/How does payment work?

Currently, there is no advantage for buying the game apart from a badge on the forums. However, proceeds go directly into development of the game; if you want to support the developer, you can do so by purchasing the game.

Payment is entirely optional. At this moment, you do not have to pay to play.

Will the game be free on release?

Currently, there is no solid plan, but it's likely that the game will have a free version to play.

What are the admin commands/block ids?

Admin commands and block ids for use with the commands are availible on these wiki pages:
    Admin Commands
    Block IDs
    This is something that you can easily find by search the site. Take note!

This game should be on steam!

If you want this game on steam, remember to support it on Steam Greenlight. Every contribution helps.

Reaction score
    socketexception: permission denied: connect

I\'ve tried everything to fix this problem, If anyone has any sugesstions, it would help.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    when i press update and reinstall latest version the download doesnt go to atleast 1% i waited for half a hour and it still was 0%

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If anyone starts the game, gets to 100% loading then crashes, YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS. If you know how to, do it. If you dont, youtube/google \'how to find out my current graphics device\'. Once you know, try searching for a video walkthrough on how to update your specific graphics device.

Hope this helps,

Cambob12

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When I press spawn in StarMade, Nothing happens D: PLZ HELP!! I really like to play this game. ;(

Reaction score
    Remember that some problems will not have a solution. Alpha is alpha. There are some things that just aren\'t possible. You\'ll have to deal with it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ive searched the whole wiki and forums but i still cant find a way to fix my problem. i really want to play this game im bored from minecraft but this is alot better block game than that even if this gamee is alpha. and ive waited long time for a free game like this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i opened winrar and then a window showed up and it said

! C:\\Users\\Evija\\Desktop\\kr2\\starmade-build_20130617_212011.zip: Unexpected end of archive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you turn your resolution down to something like 1440x900, and play fullscreen, the mouse should work properly. toy around with those two settings. I figured out that the window doesn\'t like to recognize EXACTLY where the mouse is sometimes, registering as being in a completely different place.

Reaction score
    Sounds like your download was corrupted, I would try downloading it again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i updated the driver but nothing happend any help it keeps saying critical error after it gets to 100% it also dos not work for singleplayer eathier please help im really looking forward to playing this game please help

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For those needing help updating drivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCpUC33pVXQ

Although updating them didn\'t solve it for me and I don\'t know how to get to the crash report.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The startup process loaded to 100% and i got this erroro message, hopefully this will help with game development:

ErrorDialogException: ERROR-DIALOG-EXCEPTION

data/shader/plasma/plasma.vert.glsl,

data/shader/plasma/plasma.frag.glsl

Fragment shader(s) failed to link, vertex shader(s) linked.

Fragment shader not supported by HW

Link status:0

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How can i use Cloak correctly on a ship what has a mass from 1000 mass

Reaction score
    Hi i had a critical error saying for me to put the atmosphere shader to none. I did it but now this Critical Error pops up! Plz help! I WANT TO PLAY THIS AWESOME GAME SO BADDLY!!

ErrorDialogException: ERROR-DIALOG-EXCEPTION:

data//shader/plasma/plasma.vert.glsl,

data//shader/plasma/plasma.frag.glsl

Fragment Shader not supported by HW

LINK STATUS: 0

If i can get the game to work i will surely buy the game as soon as possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Fragment Shader not supported by HW
    Link Status: 0

Same here ...