Xray vision...hmmm help please

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well I updated my driver's got a fresh version of starmade and put the --verbose in. The new launcher still dosn' t activate
    This bug is an elusive one.
    It's completely silent: there's nothing to indicate a crash even happened, apart from the log ending at event App ready. It's also extremely rare: you are the fifth reported case. I've yet to determine any cause, either, despite having been affected at one point. Furthermore, the three reported fixes have nothing in common (apart from being on Windows), and the hardware and environments seemingly have nothing in common, either.

In the spirit of learning more about this adversary, could you provide me with a dxdiag and a copy of the launcher's console output? (To get the console output, run the new launcher from the command line, again with --verbose). My leading hypothesis is that the cause is environmental, meaning something on your system is causing the crash.

Furthermore, if you're running Windows, could you peruse the windows event log? There's a small chance it will show something useful near the time of the launcher crash. If there's anything, it would likely show up under Windows Logs\Application, though it may be under Windows Logs\System instead. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what you are looking for.

After that, you can try these fixes:

1) (Steam; any OS) Delete all files within SteamApps\common\StarMade, with the exception of the StarMade game folder residing therein. Afterwards, extract the files from the standalone new launcher install, which you can download from here. This resolved the issue for me, though frustratingly I was never able to reproduce it again afterward.
    2) (Windows, AMD) Uninstall all AMD drivers (all, not just graphics drivers; some are hard to find) and update to the newest versions from their website. For one affected user, apparently an outdated driver (one that wouldn't autoupdate to the newest) was causing a conflict somewhere that resulted in this same issue.
    3) (Windows) Reinstall windows. Totally overkill solution that's quite strangely not guaranteed to work.

Again: please provide me a dxdiag, the console output, and any possibly relevant info from the windows event log. With luck I'll find something that will help me squish this bug for good!

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Ok, so what we can do in the meantime is setup the old launcher to run the game. What you need to do to use the old launcher effectively is remove 32-bit Java from your system, install the latest 64-bit version and set the correct memory settings. I'll guide you through how to do that below.

Step 1: Remove 32-bit Java

Go to Control Panel > Programs > Unistall a program

Search "Java" in the search bar, select the Java program (it shouldn't have the 64-bit in brackets) and click the uninstall button. Go through the uninstallation process.

Java should now be completely uninstalled from your system. If there's more than one Java version that pops up in the search, uninstall that too.

Step 2: Install 64-bit Java

Go here: Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads

Select "Accept License Agreement" then click on "jre-8u121-windows-x64.exe" to download the Java installer.

Once downloaded, double click on the application and run the installer. Once completed, you will have 64-bit Java installed on your system.

Step 3: Set StarMade memory settings

Open the old launcher. Go to Options > Memory Settings

Make sure "Maximal Memory (MB)" is set to 4096. Press OK.

You should now be able to launch the game. Please tell me if that fixes your issues.

_______

For drivers, make sure you're using AMD's Graphics Driver Installer here: Desktop

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also, Initial Memory must be larger than Early Generation Memory, or the Java VM creation will fail (and you will not go to space today).

Reaction score
    Yay I get to take a bulldozer threw my pc. Maybe 2.hmmm ok going to take a bit, but it might help in the long run.
    [doublepost=1485365222,1485362254][/doublepost]Well you get to learn my first name congrats. But here is everything you asked for I think if more is needed I might be able to get more.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Yea reinstalling java fixed the old launcher and the xray vision it seems. Now all that's left to fix is the new launcher to work for me. I guess, hopefully nothing eles goes wrong.

Reactions: calani