Working Ion Defense Effect on station

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I sure hope this isn't a bug.

An ion defence effect that auto activates when the shields aren't full.

I have apparently have had an ion defence effect working on a station using logic and it should work if the station comes under attack even while your not there. As long as the station is loaded in and logic works.

Setup a sensor to detect if the stations shields aren't full. When that happens use a reversed button to reset the ion defence effect by turning it off then back on. I have tested this with the astronauts handgun to activate it. Shooting the station a bit you get damage 10 hits then damage 3 or 4 hits when the ion defence kicks in.

It also seems to protect docked entities as well though your screen shows full damage of 10 on the docked entities, it actually only takes the reduced damage off the shields of the station when the ion effect is working.

In theory you could link in other defensive effects as well like punch or pierce.

I have tried it on a ship and that doesn't work you actually have to use the pilot hot bar to activate the defensive effects on a ship for it to work but for stations logic seems to work.

You can also use a similar system of detecting when the shields aren't full to activate other things.

My <600k mass fortress with 200mil shields, 8mil shield regen now has an automatic 60% ion defence effect....

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmmm... when you tested it on the ship, was the defense computer still on your hotbar during testing?

At least with weapons, hooking them to logic removes them from your hotbar, and putting them on your hotbar disconnects them from your logic. Could do an inner ship remote for manual activation though...

I'm gonna have to play with this...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For a ship when it was connected to logic it wasn't on the hot-bar but even if the ion effect computer was shown as active from having logic turn in on, it didn't reduce the shield damage. If the core was relinked to the ion effect computer you could activate it by hot bar and that would reduce the damage.

Even though logic won't activate ion effects on ships it does on stations.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Three different ways.

Shoot it with a weapon and check the damage indication. The astronauts handgun is 10 pt damage. So if it does 3 or 4pts instead of 10 while hitting shields the 60% ion effect is working. However under certain circumstances like shooting docked entities it won't show the real damage done to the station with ion defence active.

Two, select the station as your target so you can see target information. Have a low amount of shields so you can see the changes when you shoot it. eg. Your not going to notice a 10 damage hit when there is a 1million shield points.

Three, use a display module with [shield] in it. This will tell you the exact number of shields.

There is a key you can hold down to see information about a block under your crosshairs (not in flight mode of a ship) including if its active. However on a ship even if the ion defence is shown as active like this if it was turned on by logic its not actually working.

Use a bunch of shield rechargers to charge the shields then remove them so the regen doesn't change the numbers for you.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    As far as I knew logic doesn't work with defensive effects, if it does, that's a game changer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah I was use to the defensive effects on ships with logic not working.

Jump inhibitors are off when the station loads in or the server restarts. I was testing a way to auto activate the jump inhibitor while no one was there by linking the shield sensor to start it up if the station was attacked and linked in ion defence as well just encase they got the logic to work with defence effects. When I was shooting the station to activate the jump inhibitor I was surprised to find my damage drop due to the ion effect also activating.

In the end for the jump inhibitor I just set up two of them on an alternating clock so that it will work regardless of if the station is attacked.