Will rails have shared shields?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is a soft cap for Power Generation, after 1.000.000 power per second, every additional Power Reactor Module just ads 25 per second more. Docket Power Generators are an entity themselfs, so they can in turn again reach that 1 million softcap and transfer the energy with power supply beams to the mother ship. Way more space efficient than just spamming your ship full of Power Reactor Modules.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps you can now build overlapping shield entities :)

Imagine an entity made out of doors and another has doors too (or something else walk-through, not-fire-through).
    . . v Y v |
    R R R | . |
    ^ ^ ^ | . |

If combat state of shield regen disappears after 60 seconds, you could set a switch to 150..180 seconds and get 66% or 75% combat regen.

EDIT: Fixed values because I got the wrong property-association in my head, ty for finding this bug FullMetalFox
    Because (M|V /3x /3y /3z = 1/27 mass|volume), this at least helps against ships with 1/3 scale.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    If combat state of shield regen disappears after 10 seconds
    Combat state timer is 60 seconds. 10 seconds is the Outage timer.

<ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage>10</ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage> <!-- time, the shield will not recharge after reaching 0 -->
    <ShieldDirectRecoveryTime>60</ShieldDirectRecoveryTime> <!-- this time is set to the value gives after each hit sustained. In direct recovery, <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> is applied. Otherwise it's running on full recharge -->

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    nonononononono NO!
    please not shared turret shield, i know people want it so bad but PLEASE if you know someone has an indestructable shield, you can atleast destroy his turrets! i only mean the rails for turrets will dock on turret rails or something (i guess). i only wanted to know if my moving parts wont be my weak parts.
    why i dont want shared shields for turrets?
    well although i know turrets are kinda weak now, then they would be way to op.
    maybe if they come up with a compromise, some formula.
    idk ship shield divided by 4 is equal to turret shield.
    that would be a nice compromise, if not divided by 2 is also better.
    or a formula that has something to do with turret mass, the more turret mass the more shield is shared.
    like the idea? i thought of it while typing this
    i just find it annoying, i dont usually put turrets because they just take extra time and resources to replace, with smaller benefits. if im in a sluggish ship and fighters were to attack me i just use a swarmer or shift-zoom out
    [DOUBLEPOST=1428788604,1428788571][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Combat state timer is 60 seconds. 10 seconds is the Outage timer.

<ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage>10</ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage> <!-- time, the shield will not recharge after reaching 0 -->
    <ShieldDirectRecoveryTime>60</ShieldDirectRecoveryTime> <!-- this time is set to the value gives after each hit sustained. In direct recovery, <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> is applied. Otherwise it's running on full recharge -->
    can you explain what combat timer and outage timer mean and do?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    can you explain what combat timer and outage timer mean and do?
    Outage Timer = time until your shield starts recharging again after having been completly depleted.
    Combat State Timer = time after the last hit until your shield switches back to idle state.
    (Shield Combat State = increased Energy Usage, reduced recharge rate depending on your remaining shield capacity)

Reaction score
    I would like to see things docked via rails be treated as part of the main object. It would be awesome to be able to build more modular ships where I can dock different power systems or weapon systems to my ship.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would like to see things docked via rails be treated as part of the main object. It would be awesome to be able to build more modular ships where I can dock different power systems or weapon systems to my ship.
    That would be a nice addition, if done correctly.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There is a soft cap for Power Generation, after 1.000.000 power per second, every additional Power Reactor Module just ads 25 per second more. Docket Power Generators are an entity themselfs, so they can in turn again reach that 1 million softcap and transfer the energy with power supply beams to the mother ship. Way more space efficient than just spamming your ship full of Power Reactor Modules.
    could you say in rough numbers how much difference there would be?
    saying main ship 1.000.000 power/s and entity 1.000.000 power/s
    how many more blocks would i need for 2.000.000 power/s on main ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    how many more blocks would i need for 2.000.000 power/s on main ship?
    You would need to add another 40.000 power reactor blocks to raise a 1.000.000 power/s ship to 2.000.000 power/s.
    An external power reactor with 1.000.000 power/s can be much smaller, not 100% sure from memory, but i think my 1 million power/s docked power reactors are around 9000 blocks total, and that incluses power supply beams, logic clock, thrusters for easy replacement and power capacitors.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It can even be 5..6k AFAIR.
    But then you
    • have to dock a 127m long power-stick which can be pretty annoying
    • lose a half block hangar space at all sides of it
    • get lag if you dare to undock this unholy thing

Is there a good manual page (or forum OP) explaining all rail stuff?
    I played a bit with it and haven't got it to work in the first few minutes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But then you

Is there a good manual page (or forum OP) explaining all rail stuff?
    I played a bit with it and haven't got it to work in the first few minutes.
    It's wip so controlls might change during development. There are only scattered tutorials made by players.

There is a little bit outdated tut (don't covers all feautres).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    But then you
    They can be pretty much any size, but its more efficient to use a few big ones instead of many small ones due to the surrounding free space each docked entity needs.

Those pretty much arent issues as long as you build smart.

1: Include them into your shipdesign from the beginning, then such long internal reactors arent more annoying that regular power lines.
    2: Even with the additional 0,5/1 block space surrounding them its still more efficient than spamming reactor modules with only 25 p/s each.
    3: Dont undock them if your moving, and make emergency systems to counter undocking forced by damage or lag. Logic controlled Pushbeams+Blast Doors to eject them would be one way, or like i do, a self destruction that triggers as soon as a docker power reactor undocks due to damage or lag.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    They can be pretty much any size, but its more efficient to use a few big ones instead of many small ones due to the surrounding free space each docked entity needs.

Those pretty much arent issues as long as you build smart.

1: Include them into your shipdesign from the beginning, then such long internal reactors arent more annoying that regular power lines.
    2: Even with the additional 0,5/1 block space surrounding them its still more efficient than spamming reactor modules with only 25 p/s each.
    3: Dont undock them if your moving, and make emergency systems to counter undocking forced by damage or lag. Logic controlled Pushbeams+Blast Doors to eject them would be one way, or like i do, a self destruction that triggers as soon as a docker power reactor undocks due to damage or lag.
    Would they be viable on smaller ships?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you need a good deal more than 1 million p/s, yes.
    Smallest ship i used them on is a 14k cruiser with a 500k p/s docked reactor inside.
    If a ship had power issues, no matter what the size, would it be a good idea to slap some on to offset the energy usage?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    If a ship had power issues, no matter what the size, would it be a good idea to slap some on to offset the energy usage?
    Only if the ship already has a 1.000.000 power per second regeneration, if not, its more efficient to add more power reactor modules to the ship itself.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Only if the ship already has a 1.000.000 power per second regeneration, if not, its more efficient to add more power reactor modules to the ship itself.
    Alrighty. I was hoping to design some ships that would have engine room like structures in them, so that is why I was asking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Shield supply modules are still useful on smaller ships, though; it appears that if a ship is struck by a shield supply beam while the shields are down, it skips the remainder of the outage timer and the ship that received shields immediately starts regenerating its own shields, even if the shield amount provided was from a single-module beam. So I'm trying to come up with a compact design that provides shields constantly, as a module for use on any size warship, and a turret base system that does the same, to help keep turrets online longer.

Pretty up one of those and stick it in your engine room, with a rail system to insert it/remove it.

I'm also interested in the math behind the power reactor modules; how much e/sec can you provide to the mothership? I know a portion of it is eaten up by the power supply beams, but I'm not sure how much or how to calculate either value. My best estimate for my 27m^3 cube is about 645e/sec supplied to the mothership.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm also interested in the math behind the power reactor modules;
    25e * reactors
    + 125 * (x+y+z dimensions -2) ^ pow // for the exact pow-value, view StarMade/data/config/blockBehaviourConfig.xml

or something similar. Just look at the blockBehaviourConfig.xml and figure out what the values do.