Why is Brierie so Popular

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Just curiosity. Because it should be replicated.

To me, the fact that there are generally no mods, no chance for corruption, this is why I like Brierie. I hate the slow response and downtime, but I know I'm not alone because it has been super popular. Before 2.0 it was popular, after 2.0 it has been popular. Its popularity defies version and build. People simply play it.

I think it's actually because it's not moderated. Other opinions on why Brierie has been the most popular server for several years (since SS collapsed because of mod malfeasance)?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would guess it simply has something todo with TZ and the interest group, also Brierie has been around a long time;
    Registered since November 19th, 2015.

The community is older, and players mostly just do whatever, build/collect/fight, there is hardly any real Faction Politics, or Trade, or RP.

There have been other "more popular" servers, due to MODs and active administration, so that can't be it...

" no chance for corruption", thats a joke right?... and has nothing todo with MODs, any server is susceptible to corruption...

It is however my perception that (some) Brierie players would like more "moderation" or at least more active Administration... just not limits, although that is "usually" the cause of crashes, i.e downtimes...

Along with people doing wierd stuff with fleets(no size/number limits) and Shipyards(putting anchors "in" the C framework causing endless collisions because designs are treated as entities etc...), undocking turrets / entities that are tightly "jammed" in place...
    buggy/laggy Planets... Duplicate asteroids, buggy stations...

It has been replicated numerous times... most of the current servers are "vanilla" with no moderation, so that can't be it either...

Last edited:

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Great ping for those of us in the EU - and even for a few in the US and farther afield compared to more locally hosted servers.

Its almost a vanilla setup too, so it can make a pretty good testing ground.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Great ping for those of us in the EU - and even for a few in the US and farther afield compared to more locally hosted servers.

Its almost a vanilla setup too, so it can make a pretty good testing ground.
    Agreed, most definately also plays a role!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think the fact that serves to probably draw in 5-10 players at any point makes it more magnetic when searching for a server too.
    Definitely a thing - I deliberately stacked a server several years ago and it held great numbers for weeks afterward. It had great settings and had been there for months but never had more than 1-2 players. I invited a friend onto it plus multiboxed a second toon in to just sit at my HB and be a number on the server. Once I got it to 5 players, all of a sudden more people started showing up and kept coming back for a while.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Once I got it to 5 players, all of a sudden more people started showing up and kept coming back for a while.
    yup, no new player wants to be on an empty server (nobody to learn from), pvp thrives on population (be it player piracy, personal grudge or interfaction wars), RPers need somebody to RP to / with.

Unfortunately, even with its own popularity, i think Brierie has begun to put nails in its own coffin with splicing discord into the in game chat (something already spammed to death by people who have no filter and no idea about faction chat) - its just far too annoying to want to spend long on there with the constant stream of internal monologues and shitposting.

Which is something - we do need to bash schine on better in game communication options (including muting general chat from the screen entirely).

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ive heard rumour that there are a lot of alt accounts on the server to make it seem like a lot of people play on it. but thats just rumours.