Why elwyneternity needs a reset...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    it lags for like 1 min every time someone logs on
    The issue is that the networking thread locks up when a single client fails to respond (such as on logins, logouts, when people experience minor internet dropouts). The server will then sit and wait until they respond, everything running like physics and factories, except the bit that talks to clients.

Reactions: therimmer96

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Someone lock this thread.

The issue has been addressed and all thats happening now are repeats and crap slinging

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    just a question, have YOU even PLAYED on EE, it lags for like 1 min every time someone logs on
    blurb i played on EE a year ago, when i found out about starmade and i played on it A LOT - and you know why? simply because it did not lag and had some players on it. Then i stopped because i got bored of multiplayer but i played on it so much for so long simply because it did not lag. Now coming back after a year i don't know what the heck happened except that the universe has not been reset in ages.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    blurb i played on EE a year ago, when i found out about starmade and i played on it A LOT - and you know why? simply because it did not lag and had some players on it. Then i stopped because i got bored of multiplayer but i played on it so much for so long simply because it did not lag. Now coming back after a year i don't know what the heck happened except that the universe has not been reset in ages.
    the last reset was for the new planets, not that long ago.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    except that the universe has not been reset in ages.
    There are many ways in which a server could reduce lag without needing a full reset, like MOB entity wipes and general cleaning (no ships around spawn for starters, removal of dead factions from list). A server could go quite a while without needing a reset if it was managed properly, just depends on the regular player base methinks.
    Assumption based off ye olde HSZ, which put up quite well under all that shit it had to load. God only knows how it could load both Donut's and Cird's base without crying. o- o God bless it's soul o7

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is a bug that is deeply routed in starmades netcode, schema has confirmed it for us.

The issue is that the networking thread locks up when a single client fails to respond (such as on logins, logouts, when people experience minor internet dropouts). The server will then sit and wait until they respond, everything running like physics and factories, except the bit that talks to clients. when it affects 1 client, it affects all of them. This has been around for along time, but only since a recent patch has it become a problem (I assume schema made a change to the netcode somewhere). Understand that we play on the server too, we are just as pissed as anyone else, but we have taken every step we can up to having a script check the server is still responding, and if not, zip the logs and a thread dump and send them to schema.

Every server see's it, some more than others, depends on a number of things. there is nothing we can do about it. And I'm sure gravypod and the rest of us would like to see this thread/video removed.
    Im sure this topic is old, But this is exactly why we stopped illusive, that and some odds and ends were working really hard to stop illusive by using DDOS.