Why do you build big ships?

Why do you build big ships?

• I want my big bad-ass super-titan for PvP or PvE!

• I want replicas in a certain ratio (1:1, 1:4, …)

• I really really want that detail and building bigger is the only way

• It is fun to have large corridors/decks where I can add details or fly with a core

• It is fun to have large hangars to fly around

• I just like big ships that feel epic

• I need space for logic

• I need a size for a certain efficiency ratio I want to keep along RP style.

• I build bigger because it needs to be in scale with other things I've built

• I want space for later extensions

• … I have posted … look there

Results are only viewable after voting.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can select multiple options,

if you have to think about whether to check an option, check it!

I wish I could add options I didn't think of right now, but then the poll wouldn't be representative anymore.

If you feel your reason isn't listed but unique and important, you can post.

Please share this poll.

If you share polls for SM, I will vote too when I see it.

If you are interested into results and the last message is older,

please bump!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Pretty much all the reasons for me. I do a lot of singleplayer and small-group rp. The stories of which usually involve a long game with no repairs.... ao a gigantic ship is really the only way to go. Also, while there are no NPCs yet, having a massive, fully detailed ship makes the experience seem more legitimate. It also prepares for when the game WILL support NPCs

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Because bigger is better ? LOL Well its but every REAL SCI FI fan's dream is commanding a large capital ship or a large flag ship from their favorite SCI FI movie or TV show. There is no better feeling in the world then to use a game like Star Made to build a 300m long or bigger ship and battle in it. Bigger guns and more powerful missiles . I love to play with little fighters but it's nothing like commanding a 600m long ship that you just built. I just started my first 900m long ship and I know Its going to be a long time before I finish but I'm having such a good time building it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    My answer is, I don't. All my ships are quite small compared to a lot of others. They are often packed with logic and hangers and corridors though. I do plan on building larger ships as my designing skills improve but none that are large for the sake of being large. All my ships are original creations so I am not governed by scale when compared to the "real" version.

Reactions: nightrune

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also, while there are no NPCs yet, having a massive, fully detailed ship makes the experience seem more legitimate. It also prepares for when the game WILL support NPCs
    That's why I put the option : "I want space for later extensions".
    In your case, "Why do you build big ships?" equals "Why do you want that many NPCs which need all the space? (On a ship, rather than on different smaller ships or a station where they gather)".

[1] Well its but every REAL SCI FI fan's dream is commanding a large capital ship or a large flag ship from their favorite SCI FI movie or TV show.
    [2] There is no better feeling in the world then to use a game like Star Made to build a 300m long or bigger ship and battle in it. Bigger guns and more powerful missiles.
    [3] I love to play with little fighters but it's nothing like commanding a 600m long ship that you just built.
    I don't think everyone shares your standard of REAL.
    I want a holo-deck from Star-Trek. Do I want a big ship?
    I want to know what is out there in space. Do I need a big ship or is crew of friends, Cloudcuckoolanders or explorers/scientists/*–mates the right thing?

2. Well, I guess your argument is that all other players go to Space Engineers. :p

3. I also prefer a few redundant turrets on my ships and some interior. But that alone is no reason to make 50+ always-same crew quarters or spam 1'000'000 weapon blocks rather than 20 crew quarters and 10% of your ship (whatever it's size) in weapons.
    Perhaps we failed to understand each other here.

What is big in this case?
    My answer is, I don't. All my ships are quite small compared to a lot of others. They are often packed with logic and hangers and corridors though. I do plan on building larger ships as my designing skills improve but none that are large for the sake of being large. All my ships are original creations so I am not governed by scale when compared to the "real" version.
    Perhaps I should have asked "What is the limit on how small you build" if I had focused to make this more clear.
    EDIT: I'd say 2 million power regen once to three times is the upper limit of medium-sized. Because after that yo just multiply what exists in terms of game mechanics.

See the question as "What prevents me from building smaller?".​

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Perhaps I should have asked "What is the limit on how small you build" if I had focused to make this more clear.

I often find it a nice challenge to see "how small I can build this"
    • How small can I make a stable jump capable shuttle (Limit Power)
    • How small can I make a craft that has all the rp "necessities" determined by my doctrine to be "deep space worthy"
    • How small can I make a fighter that still has some bite to it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That's why I put the option : "I want space for later extensions".
    In your case, "Why do you build big ships?" equals "Why do you want that many NPCs which need all the space? (On a ship, rather than on different smaller ships or a station where they gather)".

I don't think everyone shares your standard of REAL.
    I want a holo-deck from Star-Trek. Do I want a big ship?
    I want to know what is out there in space. Do I need a big ship or is crew of friends, Cloudcuckoolanders or explorers/scientists/*–mates the right thing?

2. Well, I guess your argument is that all other players go to Space Engineers. :p

3. I also prefer a few redundant turrets on my ships and some interior. But that alone is no reason to make 50+ always-same crew quarters or spam 1'000'000 weapon blocks rather than 20 crew quarters and 10% of your ship (whatever it's size) in weapons.
    Perhaps we failed to understand each other here.

EDIT: I'd say 2 million power regen once to three times is the upper limit of medium-sized. Because after that yo just multiply what exists in terms of game mechanics.

Lol ok good for you. A lot of SCI FI Fans love larger ships. Is that better ? lol
    "I guess your argument is player should go to Space Engineers " aww somebody sounds bitter today . come on you're better than that.
    But thank you for your point of view.
    Have a good day. lol :)

Reactions: NeonSturm

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So 2 million base plus 3 full reactors is the upper limit to medium ships? Power regen is a good idea to classify ship size actually I think.
    Anyone see anything wrong with classifying ships based on regen potential? (I'm sure others have thought of this before)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    "I guess your argument is player should go to Space Engineers " aww somebody sounds bitter today . come on you're better than that.
    Said that because of the lags on big ships in Space-Engineers. You said nothing is better than SM with 300m length+ :)
    It is a good way to classify combat ships at least.
    The problem with this is that it depends on the updates shine makes (1 mille soft-cap got changed to 2 mille).

For defining small-medium, I prefer what comfort a crew can have with 10..20% size increase of the ship for crew space.
    The high-tech stealth-bombers from US have space for crew shifts, toilets and sleeping only and I consider this as average size for small until I found something better. Family-sized lifestocks would be in "lower medium" already.​

Reaction score
    Hi,

When I build a tiny ship (anything that can be built in less than 30 minutes with no planning at all) there's no sense of achievement.

When I build a medium ship (1 million blocks or less) there's a small sense of achievement, but it's only enough to encourage me to do something more impressive.

When I built a large ship (20 million blocks or more) it's an engineering challenge - splitting it into pieces, working around various limits, swearing at multiple bugs, ensuring I get enough power/thrust for it to be usable, etc. The amount of planning and time building all of the pieces leads to a huge sense of accomplishment when you see the finished ship working and being totally awesome.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then "I just like big ships that feel epic" is the best choice for your Qweesdy

But having some sort of achievement-feeling is a vendor-lock-in. Congrats, you are addicted to StarMade now – by what you have built yourself ;)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I build my ships big so they can contain as much general awesome as possible, be it in the form of rails, logic, detail or firepower (usually all of those) Though my ships tend to be a little smaller than the standard sizes used in faction warfare.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Can We establish what's considered big? My server limits are 60k mass and my biggest is 50k mass. Perhaps we should say big is closer to the server limits rather than a discrete value?

The reason i build to the limit?

1. I'm hunting prey that's bigger and more deadly.
    2. In order to kill such prey I need weapons of a certain size. That certain size weighs a certain amount and that amount must be conveyed across space in a safe and prompt fashion.
    3. That's it really.

Reaction score
    I don't really tend to that often, but when I do it's because I like a like of media with big ships like BSG or Macross. It also gives you more room to work with for details etc.

Not going to pretend the added firepower and toughness is a drawback either.

Reaction score
    For me, a big ship is about mass of 5K-10K. Maybe 15K if I use 2-3 layers of advanced armor...
    I build them big because of the large hangars and the epicness.
    I add some quarters, corridors, storage zone, common room, teleport room, suicide capsule, etc.