Where did all the playerbase and faction fun go?

Reaction score
    You know competitive smash has a huge playerbase and there aren't any stupid flame wars even though everyone is always fighting.

Other forums including reddit don't have this issue. What about this game attracts so many people who just want to run around being pricks to everyone all the time?

You can incite conflict IN THE GAME without being a massive fucking prick to everyone in the process. There's a difference between "lol fuck your ships PEW" and "you fucking suck you piece of shit kill yourself". I tend to see a ton of the latter. I say this community attracts a lot of autistic faggots and that's where it comes from.

Odium went too far. In the early days they were great, performing serverside invasions and generally beating the crap out of everyone. People allied together to beat them. The war was constant. At some point it devolved into this stupid flame war bullshit with all the doxxing.

I don't know why aceface was banned but his videos documenting early starmade conflict are pretty great.

We can't do anything about the shitty state of the game, but we can clean up our act to make sure it doesn't die before it gets any good.

Other forums including reddit don't have this issue. What about this game attracts so many people who just want to run around being pricks to everyone all the time?

"y u haf to be med is just game"

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    A lot of the playerbase disappeared because of how complicated the game became. In its first incarnation, starmade was relatively simple. One could hop in the game, build a ship, and instantly be able to play. Now, the increase of systems and abilities has created an incredibly steep learning curve. The game has become incredibly grindy. Building a ship in survival feels more like a chore then fun, and it shouldn't be. There are so many overcomplicated features and new additions every game, that end up continuing to alienate the casual gamer. If starmade continues along the path of making the game even more complex, we will continue to see the casual gamer be driven away to more entertaining games. When you need to spend more time researching a game than playing it, something has gone fundamentally wrong.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    A lot of the playerbase disappeared because of how complicated the game became. In its first incarnation, starmade was relatively simple. One could hop in the game, build a ship, and instantly be able to play. Now, the increase of systems and abilities has created an incredibly steep learning curve. The game has become incredibly grindy. Building a ship in survival feels more like a chore then fun, and it shouldn't be. There are so many overcomplicated features and new additions every game, that end up continuing to alienate the casual gamer. If starmade continues along the path of making the game even more complex, we will continue to see the casual gamer be driven away to more entertaining games. When you need to spend more time researching a game than playing it, something has gone fundamentally wrong.
    The essentials haven't really changed much apart from weapons and turrsts. Weapons actually make a lot more sense than they did back when there was only AMCs and missiles. The new blocks and mechanics just add some extra OPTIONAL functionality, a new player doesn't have to make a ship pimped out with rails to be competitive.

I agree about the grindy part though, crafting all the crap needed to make/produce ships in survival is a pain.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah, game is too grindy atm.
    It's too grindy, but gigantism needs to be addressed before it can become un-grindy. The first thing people will do with excess resources is build excessive ships, and that lags. The economy really needs fixing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's too grindy, but gigantism needs to be addressed before it can become un-grindy. The first thing people will do with excess resources is build excessive ships, and that lags. The economy really needs fixing.
    But excessive ships are cool, and some like to build huge. I have a couple myself that are huge or massively lag inducing. I was just hoping they would eventually figure out how to optimize enough that it wouldn't be a problem. I really think they should add an option in the server config to limit the blocks attached to each weapon computer so severs can control the amount of firepower giant ships can have if they wish to make play more fair. It would stop the need for excessive ships on servers that used it, but still allow people to make those ships, but they wouldn't be able to one-shot a reasonable sized craft either. Basically giving people the ability to hard limit power creep on their servers if they wished. Might even eliminate some of the grind too if people didn't feel it was necessary to build the death star in order to beat an opponent.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    But excessive ships are cool, and some like to build huge. I have a couple myself that are huge or massively lag inducing. I was just hoping they would eventually figure out how to optimize enough that it wouldn't be a problem. I really think they should add an option in the server config to limit the blocks attached to each weapon computer so severs can control the amount of firepower giant ships can have if they wish to make play more fair. It would stop the need for excessive ships on servers that used it, but still allow people to make those ships, but they wouldn't be able to one-shot a reasonable sized craft either. Basically giving people the ability to hard limit power creep on their servers if they wished. Might even eliminate some of the grind too if people didn't feel it was necessary to build the death star in order to beat an opponent.
    Eh, I would like it so that fleets actually have a composition of various sizes instead of "okay everyone grab the 200k's were going to war" or whatever.
    Yeah, every faction would have a few gigantic ships, but not a gigantic ship for everybody. A few are in the 20k's, some in a 50k, and on and on.

Also, we need to reinforce the fact that you will lose your ship at some point, so instead of making the ship bigger to avoid being lost yet it will happen eventually, people change the styles to "affordable losses" or AKA, 'don't fly something bigger than your wallet can afford'.

Unless I am alone in that idea of thought.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Eh, I would like it so that fleets actually have a composition of various sizes instead of "okay everyone grab the 200k's were going to war" or whatever.
    Yeah, every faction would have a few gigantic ships, but not a gigantic ship for everybody. A few are in the 20k's, some in a 50k, and on and on.

Also, we need to reinforce the fact that you will lose your ship at some point, so instead of making the ship bigger to avoid being lost yet it will happen eventually, people change the styles to "affordable losses" or AKA, 'don't fly something bigger than your wallet can afford'.

Unless I am alone in that idea of thought.
    Warheads Warheads Warheads.

If warheads were effective people could stick torpedoes on fighters and still be effective. In addition, smaller ships = smaller target, so it would be advantageous if facing a warhead todpedo boat. I wouldn't see an issue now that shipyards and a repair function exist. Comr4de is actually doing some testing with increased warhead damage/radius, along with increased crafting cost and removal of warheads from shops. The only real problem we have yet to come up with a solution for is cloakers. You could easily just make a permacloaked ramship and it'd be OP as fuk.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Warheads Warheads Warheads.

If warheads were effective people could stick torpedoes on fighters and still be effective. In addition, smaller ships = smaller target, so it would be advantageous if facing a warhead todpedo boat. I wouldn't see an issue now that shipyards and a repair function exist. Comr4de is actually doing some testing with increased warhead damage/radius, along with increased crafting cost and removal of warheads from shops. The only real problem we have yet to come up with a solution for is cloakers. You could easily just make a permacloaked ramship and it'd be OP as fuk.
    A simple solution would be to make a ship with warheads on it or docked to it unable to cloak.

A fun solution would be to make warheads detonate a scanner breaks cloak.

Reactions: Keptick

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    A simple solution would be to make a ship with warheads on it or docked to it unable to cloak.

A fun solution would be to make warheads detonate a scanner breaks cloak.
    A fun solution is to have a few medium "point defense" turrets on your ship with short range and enough punch to kill incoming warheads.
    And if you scanner, they should be able to target and shoot the cloaker.
    Maybe not have the same size anti capital ship turrets, but some smaller ones for killing off the small flies that try and buzz your tower.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    exploit warfare killed faction wars.

he who had the best exploit tech won.
    There haven't been any major combat exploits that saw use in faction warfare since the overdrive bug. Sure, there was the shield drain beam bug, but afaik that never saw use between any major factions.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There haven't been any major combat exploits that saw use in faction warfare since the overdrive bug. Sure, there was the shield drain beam bug, but afaik that never saw use between any major factions.
    Theres so many more than you know.

there was that bug were you could efffectivly have weapons/effects/jumpdrives/anything with a computer or any size and strength without using any blocks whatsoever, just the computer + 1 block. Sure you had to pay the energy cost for it, but you diddnt have to use any space and it diddnt effect your mass. i know for a fact that one got used by many factions while i was still around.