When will StarMade be on Steam?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    its free and they can download it right now,what do they need steam for?i dont get it

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah i know right? Just don't get why it was greenlit a year ago and is still not there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    its free and they can download it right now,what do they need steam for?i dont get it
    Steam acts as a distribution platform. By advertising the game there, it would heavily increase the game's potential player-base . That said, new titles don't usually stay on the front page very long, so strategically it would be best to either fully release the game or offer a paid "early access" version of the game.

Another benefit I'm hoping StarMade will make use of is the Steam Workshop. Giving players a wider selection of locations to upload/download content ensures that more people are likely to keep playing the game. It's like how you don't want to use forums or a website as a primary source of information because only a small percentage of players will care enough to search there.

Personally, I don't think there's any urgency to get the game on Steam. I'd only advocate for a Steam release if the development was seriously in need of funding and hopefully that will never be the case.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that even in the game's free state, a lot of consumers find it convenient to be able to keep all their games local to a single platform like Steam. More options, more success.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Steam does provide some nice social options. that may be what people are waiting for. Things like being able to join a friends server by right clicking their names. That kind of stuff may be what they are waiting for.