When will StarMade be on Steam?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    its free and they can download it right now,what do they need steam for?i dont get it

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah i know right? Just don't get why it was greenlit a year ago and is still not there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    its free and they can download it right now,what do they need steam for?i dont get it
    Steam acts as a distribution platform. By advertising the game there, it would heavily increase the game's potential player-base . That said, new titles don't usually stay on the front page very long, so strategically it would be best to either fully release the game or offer a paid "early access" version of the game.

Another benefit I'm hoping StarMade will make use of is the Steam Workshop. Giving players a wider selection of locations to upload/download content ensures that more people are likely to keep playing the game. It's like how you don't want to use forums or a website as a primary source of information because only a small percentage of players will care enough to search there.

Personally, I don't think there's any urgency to get the game on Steam. I'd only advocate for a Steam release if the development was seriously in need of funding and hopefully that will never be the case.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that even in the game's free state, a lot of consumers find it convenient to be able to keep all their games local to a single platform like Steam. More options, more success.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Steam does provide some nice social options. that may be what people are waiting for. Things like being able to join a friends server by right clicking their names. That kind of stuff may be what they are waiting for.