When do we need or not need permission blocks?

Reaction score
    I'm working on building a homebase space station on a MP server, and am not sure what all needs public and faction permission blocks and what doesn't. The station's faction module itself is set to Faction Rank 2 and better (although I'm the only current faction member.)

Examples: I'd like to set the bases' factories and main storage area to be accessible to all faction members but not despicable neutrals, does each factory and the resource storage's cargo hold need a faction block?
    I would like most of the doors in the station to be openable by neutrals, as well as allowing them to use the transporter room. Do all of these need public permission modules by default? For the transporter computer, does only the computer need a public block or does each transporter pad need one too? For the medical clinic nearby, do the med cabinets all need public permission blocks?
    Finally, I'd like to set up private rooms for myself and any other faction members that join, I'm thinking of maybe using some kind of password system for the doors but am not sure how to keep one faction member from going into another's room if they don't have enough rank to be trusted. Does faction rank 2 on the faction module restrict lesser faction members from manually opening doors that have no permission modules?

Thanks in advance for elucidation.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let's go by the default that you set the homebase editing permission to Founder and you're the only Founder in your faction, so no one else can edit it.

In that case, you need to have a faction permission module adjacent to each and every one of the following blocks if you want to allow access for faction mates:
    - Capsule refinery
    - Assembler
    - Basic, standard and advanced factory (only the factory blocks themselves, not the enhancers)
    - Storage block
    - Shipyard computer
    - The undeathinator you want them to respawn at
    - Ship docking rails (otherwise homebase will override their ships' permissions after reset making them inaccessible)
    - Every single button or logic activation module you want them to be able to use.
    - Transporter computers
    - Gravity modules or logic activators that activate gravity

What you do NOT need permission modules for:
    - Automatic doors and gravity modules operated by area triggers
    - Warp, activation and race gates

What else you need to keep in mind:
    Permission modules do not permit an entire group of doors/forcefields to be used, only the block adjacent to them. This means they either need to hit the exact block that touches the permission module to open the whole group, or you need to hook it up to simple logic (a button on each side that has permission modules, connected to a flip-flop that operates the door itself, so it can be opened/closed from both sides. You can also use this to close off certain sections of a ship or base that only the members with high enough (editing, so in this example case, Founder) rank can access.

I hope you find this useful.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Thanks, that helps a fair bit! I believe this can be managed.

One sideways-related question with regards to gravity modules on area triggers, since I have some set up already: do they only affect the player triggering them, or everyone in the entity?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thanks, that helps a fair bit! I believe this can be managed.

One sideways-related question with regards to gravity modules on area triggers, since I have some set up already: do they only affect the player triggering them, or everyone in the entity?
    As far as my limited knowledge goes, only the player triggering them.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm working on building a homebase space station on a MP server, and am not sure what all needs public and faction permission blocks and what doesn't. The station's faction module itself is set to Faction Rank 2 and better (although I'm the only current faction member.)

Examples: I'd like to set the bases' factories and main storage area to be accessible to all faction members but not despicable neutrals, does each factory and the resource storage's cargo hold need a faction block?
    I would like most of the doors in the station to be openable by neutrals, as well as allowing them to use the transporter room. Do all of these need public permission modules by default? For the transporter computer, does only the computer need a public block or does each transporter pad need one too? For the medical clinic nearby, do the med cabinets all need public permission blocks?
    Finally, I'd like to set up private rooms for myself and any other faction members that join, I'm thinking of maybe using some kind of password system for the doors but am not sure how to keep one faction member from going into another's room if they don't have enough rank to be trusted. Does faction rank 2 on the faction module restrict lesser faction members from manually opening doors that have no permission modules?

Thanks in advance for elucidation.
    Matt_Bradock has some good info here. However, if you're still interested in creating private rooms, there are two good options out there.

1) If you want to go high-tech and use a password, take a look at this video by Bench. I made a 7 story "hotel" on one of my trade stations that allows up to 6 visitors to each have their own room; complete with a storage controller that corresponds to their section of the storage warehouse. It's tedious and complicated but it works. Hide and armor up your locking mechanisms, just to be on the safe side.

2) If you want to go "low-tech" you can always build the rooms then add the doors as separate entities; each with their own core and faction block. Leave the entity unfactioned though. A visitor can access the door entity and set its faction block to "P" (private I believe) to take personal ownership of it. Now, only that player will be able to open that specific door, since it is essentially one of his ships, posing as a door and docked to your station. Be sure to add the appropriate permission block to the rail that the "door" will be docked to.

Last edited: