What type of ships are you more drawn too?

What are you more drawn too? (Read post first please)

• Themed ships that belong to a fleet and are scaled to each other.

Votes: 38 76.0%
    • One-off ships with no particular scale or theme, that are play focused.

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like variants of existing ships. Those are so obviously based on starship troopers and yet they aren't the ships in that series, they're something different. This is off-topic but what's the size/mass of that big one?
    The large one's stats are: Mass: 83958.3 L: 363 H:99 W: 137
    You can see the stats of all my Starship Troopers based ships here. The thread isn't 100% updated with my current fleet. The ships are based off of un-textured 3-d models for a mod. I liked the overall concepts of most of the ships, so I took it as a challenge to create them but make them better. In doing so I ended up creating some slightly more original work based off of parts and pieces of the 3-d models.

Reaction score
    The large one's stats are: Mass: 83958.3 L: 363 H:99 W: 137
    You can see the stats of all my Starship Troopers based ships here. The thread isn't 100% updated with my current fleet. The ships are based off of un-textured 3-d models for a mod. I liked the overall concepts of most of the ships, so I took it as a challenge to create them but make them better. In doing so I ended up creating some slightly more original work based off of parts and pieces of the 3-d models.
    Ah, cool, shame ya haven't gotten around to some of the more iconic ships.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421577605,1421577244][/DOUBLEPOST]
    To me a ship built based on a previous work (film, television, anime, whatever), no matter how pretty or well done, simply means to me that somebody had a lot of time to invest. It says nothing about the builder's creativity, or more importantly to me, their ship design expertise. Moreover, I invariably question it's functionality in the game, and that to me is a killer. A ship that sacrifices function in favor of chrome, is to me a poor ship.

That does not mean that a functional design has to be ugly. There are plenty of ways to make such a ship visually interesting, even stunning (which I aim to prove to you all in a few months). To me however, visual evidence of surpassing function is itself a thing of beauty.

Simply cramming in a largely random assortment of weaponry and shield blocks into whatever space is left after the 'important' stuff like being pretty and having 'roleplaying' interiors (that virtually no one will ever roleplay in), to me is just bad ship design. I realize that most people think ship design is the process of making pretty shapes and exteriors. To me shapes and exteriors you can make pretty 'after' you get the ship design right, design meaning a rigorous planning of strategy, of the ship's function to fulfill that strategy, the systems which will optimally fulfill that function, and the other supporting systems the ship will need. Once all that has been identified, a large part of the structure of the ship will be determined by that. Only after that structure is identified i

I agree with Colt. RP ships are the measure of someone's creative style. The even imply that there is a single correct way of building in a sandbox game is an incredibly archaic mindset. It's detrimental. Some of us enjoy the feeling of walking through the halls of our vessels. It is a very real thrill we won't get to experience in our lifetimes. Why shouldn't we get to enjoy it here?

Reaction score
    I like science fantasy ships, I would say I am drawn to those, but mainly just to look at them. When it comes to playing the game I prefer a more science fiction version ship.