What type of ships are you more drawn too?

What are you more drawn too? (Read post first please)

• Themed ships that belong to a fleet and are scaled to each other.

Votes: 38 76.0%
    • One-off ships with no particular scale or theme, that are play focused.

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This is a research thread to see what the community is drawn to and why.

Are you drawn more to ships that belong to a theme, either an established franchise or newly created one. The ships ranging from small to large, and scaled together. Each ship holding true to the overall theme.

Or are you drawn more to ships that are not restricted to a theme or scale. The ship build for it's effectiveness in game. That's not to say it doesn't focus on aesthetics or RP elements, but just not part of a theme or scale.

This is not a competition, just research.
    Comments on why are encouraged.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Original. Never ever built a replica or a "fan-fiction" build in my life. Sometimes worked on Eve themed ships or replicas when I was tasked with doing a re-fit on them but that's all.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I like themed ships, things that look like they can be flown together (Like support ships that match ship A). Original over replicas though of course.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like ships that are RP intensive and that belong to a certain player made set. They don't have to belong to faction. I just like having a set of ships that are styled like each other that I could, lets say, make all of my pirates use.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I prefer themed ones because those ones are usually the most creative. I enjoy replicas the most because seeing other people's good replicas is always enthralling when you can tell how much autism enthusiasm goes into making a quality replica, and I enjoy making them because it's challenging to make them actually look good and other ways.

The original themed ships some ship makers here put out are really quality made too. It's like watching a company put out a new model car or something.

Reaction score
    I like everything. I get the most enjoyment from not sticking with a theme and designing a ship loosely based off of SciFi ships I've seen. I also prefer to make my own color schemes.

Reaction score
    From a purely audience position I prefer replicas and themed ships. Most original ships are highly detailed and sport a lot of features only really good builders could pull off, but they are almost always exceptionally boring shapes and designs. Most original designs follow the Halo school of ship design where they're very angular and solid, not necessarily a bad thing but when that's all one ever sees it tends to get stale. However with replicas you can pull from a very wide range of very unique looking ships all of which have their own charm and appealing shapes. A lot of people may be good at building, but not really that creative. I speak for myself with this but I'm not creative at all, I could never design my own ship, so I build replicas because I can build them, I just can't design them.

I also like uniformity and I like seeing large fleets of ships engaging in combat, it's cool to see an organized force. So I voted for that option.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This is a research thread to see what the community is drawn to and why.

Are you drawn more to ships that belong to a theme, either an established franchise or newly created one. The ships ranging from small to large, and scaled together. Each ship holding true to the overall theme.

Or are you drawn more to ships that are not restricted to a theme or scale. The ship build for it's effectiveness in game. That's not to say it doesn't focus on aesthetics or RP elements, but just not part of a theme or scale.

This is not a competition, just research.
    Comments on why are encouraged.
    I'm having trouble understanding your definitions. When you say "themed ships" is it assumed that they are part of a franchise?

I prefer to make original ships, and these ships have common elements to give them a sense of continuity. The ships range in size from fighters to cruisers, but the style conveys my faction. I have made a couple of ships that were inspired by franchise ships, but I make them my own.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Themed ships are fantastic, whether a new franchise or old. As long as they are well done.

Reaction score
    From a purely audience position I prefer replicas and themed ships. Most original ships are highly detailed and sport a lot of features only really good builders could pull off, but they are almost always exceptionally boring shapes and designs. Most original designs follow the Halo school of ship design where they're very angular and solid, not necessarily a bad thing but when that's all one ever sees it tends to get stale. However with replicas you can pull from a very wide range of very unique looking ships all of which have their own charm and appealing shapes. A lot of people may be good at building, but not really that creative. I speak for myself with this but I'm not creative at all, I could never design my own ship, so I build replicas because I can build them, I just can't design them.

I also like uniformity and I like seeing large fleets of ships engaging in combat, it's cool to see an organized force. So I voted for that option.
    Agreed. I notice a lot of buildings not only take an angular and solid builds, but also keep to a long tube shape as well. A lot of my inspiration comes from Star Trek, specifically the Romulan ships. The rounded wings and small necks leading to a head are difficult to build but are also a lot of fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As long as I see effort put forward in a ship regardless of type it earns an instant +1 in my book.

Although I do tend to prefer ships with a well done and expansive interior.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm having trouble understanding your definitions. When you say "themed ships" is it assumed that they are part of a franchise?

I prefer to make original ships, and these ships have common elements to give them a sense of continuity. The ships range in size from fighters to cruisers, but the style conveys my faction. I have made a couple of ships that were inspired by franchise ships, but I make them my own.
    Yes, theme being that the ship is a part of a bigger franchise, either a builder created franchise or an already established franchise.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I prefer themed ships. I like to take ships from other games and rebuilding them to look all there own. I tend to build interiors for RP. If you want a game play ship just build a doom cube.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I prefer themed ships. I like to take ships from other games and rebuilding them to look all there own. I tend to build interiors for RP. If you want a game play ship just build a doom cube.
    Ohh. Speaking building ships from games. I'd love to see some Metroid based ships. Either from the Primes or beforehand. No other m. Maybe ill take a wack at it

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've never really enjoyed shipbuilding. I like ships that let me feel like I'm actually doing something

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Ohh. Speaking building ships from games. I'd love to see some Metroid based ships. Either
    from the Primes or beforehand. No other m. Maybe ill take a wack at it
    I've actually got one I made a couple months ago. Samus' Gunship (the one from Prime II, Metroid II, Super, and the beginning of Fusion) I'd have to refit it, but if you'd like I could put it up on the community content section by tomorrow sometime. Metroid always needs some love so please do make some ships too.
    /offtopic

Reaction score
    I prefer a group of originals, because it d8esnt confine you to 1 way of building. If you want a cargo ship to be black and blue, and your fighter be white and purple, its fine.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Well, I normally first build a ship without caring about theme, with the goal to make it as effective as possible, while still maintaining a recognizable shape(so not doomcubes)[this includes some RP elements depending on shape {a steam train e.g. has to have some valves and pipes going around}]. Once that is done, I build more ships themed like the first ship(if I find enough interest), which are also trimmed for efficiency, just like the first ship.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I love original ships that look like they belong in a fleet together. There is nothing wrong with single unique ships but when I see an entire fleet of ships that are all unique in their own right while looking like they were made by the same government/shipyard/military entity, that's just the incing on the cake.

Interiors are also important, even the most beautiful shell makes me less interested when I see it's wall to wall systems.