What the heck...

Reaction score
    What the heck... I put down my salvage computer, placed down my salvage beams/modules whatever, and my beams are shooting downwards??? Can anyone explain???

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    What the heck... I put down my salvage computer, placed down my salvage beams/modules whatever, and my beams are shooting downwards??? Can anyone explain???
    computer orientation matters

the beams will shoot in any direction where the "front face" of the computer is placed

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    computer orientation matters

the beams will shoot in any direction where the "front face" of the computer is placed
    Yep, this.

I was building a large salvager quite a while ago after resetting my server, and I thought the game was broken. It would never emit beams. I spent about two hours trying to figure out why. Rebuilt the miner, restarted my client, restarted the server...nothing would fix it. Finally my friend came over to my base and noticed the ship was shooting beams out the side instead of the front. I'd completely forgotten that computer orientation matters and had placed the salvage computer sideways because it looked nicer that way in the ship's main hallway...

Oops!

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, honestly I hate that.

I would *MUCH* rather have it fire in the direction the output barrel is facing, not the computer.

Makes it damned near impossible to make a good looking bridge/computer room.

Reaction score
    Yeah, honestly I hate that.

I would *MUCH* rather have it fire in the direction the output barrel is facing, not the computer.

Makes it damned near impossible to make a good looking bridge/computer room.
    I agree. But I also adapt by having superfluous computers that aren't linked to weapons. I also place the computers WITH the weapon systems

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree. But I also adapt by having superfluous computers that aren't linked to weapons. I also place the computers WITH the weapon systems
    I don't do this because I feel when NPC crews become a thing, they're going to need access to the computers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I did that once myself. Except my beams were firing backwards.

although its not the best method, one work around is to have the actual computer buried somewhere in the ship (can be protected better that way anyway) and then have a fake computer in the hall. It doesn't work if you wanted the computer in the hall/computer room to be functional though.

I agree with Edymnion though. Would be nice that beams would shoot out the direction the output block was facing.

Edit: Drat... Didn't read the post that suggested the same thing. Now I feel redundant.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One time I built an AMS turret that shot itself off its base any time it saw a missile.

Reaction score
    I don't do this because I feel when NPC crews become a thing, they're going to need access to the computers.
    Me too! I build duty stations around the computers, at the "back" of the weapon systems. Superfluous computers are backups lol