What the community has suggested - An overview and ideas for the dev team -Update #1

Reaction score
    Personally I want bioships, but nobody else does and it wouldn't really add anything anyways.
    I would like bioships, though I'm not sure how they could be made to work as far as game mechanics go (i.e. make the ships feel alive while keeping them balanced with mechanical ships, would you be able to use mechanical parts on a bio-ship, could they be built or would you need to grow them somehow, etc.)

Modular, randomly generated creatures on planets was a popular one floating around a while back, and I'm pretty sure it's planned.

I am quite curious about the buildable missiles idea. What's that all about?

Reaction score
    I have never seen a game with as much potential for expansion as this one. Its dizzying.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    @WaffulMann you foget all the logic suggestions about XOR, NOR, NAND, more complex things like a native RAM, ...

Antennas + remote control/logic

Block Sized letters (display block or billboard block)

Hyperspeed suggestions like Highways instead of gates (dunno if you want include suggestions which are not too popular)
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/highways-between-gates-how-to-make-good-animations.3310/ (3 likes/agrees)

Site suggestions:
    A simple block Editor for things like
    ++ ++ ++
    + 1122 + 2 Letters in one Tile
    + 1122 + Tile-Editor
    ++ ++ ++

A "General Question Forum" to keep others clean from <3 reply threads (author can move a thread >3 replys out there (once) and into other forums (suggestions/general-discussion) without admin).

I also support organic ships.

And modular ships (I know we have copy&paste, but sometimes you just want to move a room left/right or front/rear on a deck before you build the next)

Pistons or slide-blocks which are essentially moving docking blocks.

Personalizing Star-system names.
    In X-Series systems have names like "Argon Prime", "Omicron Lyre" or "Priesters Gnade" ...
    In StarTrek there are Quadrants instead of +/- sectors : "Alpha Quadrant", "Delta-Quadrant" ...​

A way to draw very transparent named tunnels and spheres between sectors and around objects to aid navigation.
    Readable by faction members.​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How do you determine that 60 percent or more of the community wants something?

Reaction score
    How do you determine that 60 percent or more of the community wants something?
    Because in the threads there are votes. Threads without votes I just leave white and unbold, unless there are a ton of likes/ agrees with no dislike/disagree/negative comments

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    adding a list of these poles would probably be more useful so people can add their votes

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Because in the threads there are votes. Threads without votes I just leave white and unbold, unless there are a ton of likes/ agrees with no dislike/disagree/negative comments

adding a list of these poles would probably be more useful so people can add their votes
    ^ This would help.

It's a great to have an index of good suggestions and the post is pretty informative as to what is being suggested currently, but the %'s are a little misleading*.

Currently i see 2 clear threads on Player Armour. 1 Locked. 1 active. Both threads combined have 21 unique participants, 12 positive ratings on the OP and no polls. I wouldn't really equate that to 90% of the community. (Wether or not the stat is true, the way your obtaining them isn't accurate :p).

Reaction score
    Last one for the moment, I will be back during the weekend but schoolwork is really heavy on me ATM.
    How do I judge my %s? Well, if a thread or idea has been brought up at least twice and has 4~5 likes every time then I will give it a 60~%. If there are a ton of likes and it's being constantly brought up (like the chairs, hot damn), or if there's a poll with over 20 votes and a 90% or above "yes" rate, then I will make it so. The rest, I'm not sure so I just leave them as they are.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    From my experience with Planetary Annihilation and the wonderful devs behind it, you cannot determine how much of the community wants something from forum polling/scanning.

You can get a feel for the approval/disapproval of the community by testing the waters, but I've seen plenty of features with the COMMUNITY APPROVED stamp actually be the exact opposite - because it was 10 dudes on hype pushing the issue. The Uber devs behind PA were overly cautious with implementing community feedback, and that kept their game on track (for the most part).

This is a great thread and I like the idea of it, but I think you should steer clear of COMMUNITY APPROVED stuff. It causes more problems and stress for schema + crew than it solves.

Reactions: Zeno9141

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is a great thread and I like the idea of it, but I think you should steer clear of COMMUNITY APPROVED stuff. It causes more problems and stress for schema + crew than it solves.
    Maybe it should then be renamed into "What the community has suggested - An overview and ideas for the dev team"

Reactions: Mered4

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I agree with this, as (to be completely honest) there are a lot of recommendations/ideas that I see come through the forums which I disagree with. Now I'm obviously not the one who matter when it comes to deciding what should be pursued development wise, but I've got a fair amount of experience with game design so my disagreements aren't completely based on personal opinion, but often implementation and execution of said suggested ideas.

For example with the weapon and armor building idea which has been tossed around lately, I've actually thought of some very cool ways it could be implemented, however I feel it could potentially cause a lot of problems and I don't see any huge benefit over just having standard models for those items.

I'm not trying to start a flame war on whether or not this one feature should be in, this is just an example, basically re-enforcing that these are suggestions from the forum users, not necessarily "community approved" features.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Although you can say 'community approved' for general things. Take the planets for example, almost everyone agrees eventually that the planets are good, if not brilliant, if they were to make your computer lag less and look smoother near the edges (no ravines inbetween). It also is safe to say that most people want more items for players, like armor and weapons.

Edit: The ideas/suggestions for missiles aren't so much wanted as a necessity. You really can't have heat seeking missiles making 180 turns all the time, and the tracking also is iverpowered. And the turret turning speed really should be considered a bug. Having turrets the size of capitals turning as fast as ship cores is really not good for this game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is actually a really nice way to keep track of this, and a very useful tool. Nice work. Now if only we could get a programmer to make a self-updating application thing for this, so that an image doesn't have to be remade and reedited into the post...

I have never seen a game with as much potential for expansion as this one. Its dizzying.
    I agree. However, while this IS alpha so this doesn't apply as much, to paraphrase something my marching band director said, 'potential' is meaningless - all it is is the amount of possible good something isn't yet.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree @FunnyBunny14 , but we shouldn't judge about that in a summary.

It might be good to have the number of peoples participating in discussions about that topic as with ">X peoples"

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Personalizing Star-system names.
    In X-Series systems have names like "Argon Prime", "Omicron Lyre" or "Priesters Gnade" ...
    In StarTrek there are Quadrants instead of +/- sectors : "Alpha Quadrant", "Delta-Quadrant" ...
    I think it would be pretty cool, and would help to give an incentive to explore, if the first explorer to enter a new star system, or quadrant, or galaxy or whatever, got to name it. In multiplayer admin's would have the ability to overwrite a name, in case it was offensive, but I'd really love to see even more reasons to explore than those that are currently planned. =)