What kind of playstyle do you favor?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just curious. What kind of game do you want Star Made to be? What kind of games do you enjoy?

Personally, I am a hard core survivalist FPS shooter type. I love FPS games, and I love challenges. My favorite part of the game is traveling - which may seem odd, but I have a whole system for it that makes it fun.

Reactions: Kojinus

Kojinus

Feline Overlord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Exploration is huge for me in video games. I love knowing that when I log in there's always something new for me to discover. :)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I'd have to say that one of my favorite parts of video gaming was the glory and camaraderie of working within a group that you believed in and seeing the things you and your group work towards come to fruition. That's what hooked me up with a group of friends during Tribes and kept me with them through Minecraft, Global Agenda, Planetside 2, and whatever other games we might spontaneously decide to play one day. Having the ability to hunker down and build up while seeing tangible progress towards some goal is a big plus... But it's something that requires a lot of other game mechanics to be in place and working well together.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Personally, I love games that can successfully combine more than one genre's mechanics and playstyles, and that is one of the things I love about starmade. You have the ability to build whatever you want (well, in terms of spacecraft, anyway), you can have dogfights, massive fleet battles, explore an endless universe. Resource gathering and economy and territorial control are a thing (and will improve, i have no doubt); you don't just play in someone elses' pre-designed universe with preset toys, you get to make your own and shape whole star systems.

But I also love questing in open-world adventure games, RTS games because I like being able to see battle and economic plans come to fruition on a large scale, FPS games like Halo, things like Star Wars Battlefront I/II where you can start up a battle between factions and participate as an individual among many AI, and the Battletech games, like Mechwarrior and Mech Assault. Because mecha is awesome, duh.
    Starmade already has some inkling of the mechanics of these games coming into play, but I want to see it go further. We can have AI-controlled fleets and individuals, eventually. Then we could have some semblance of an RTS game, where we can control our fleets in real time, send harvesters and combat groups out to achieve goals, conquer territory, give orders on the fly during fleet combat, manage manufacturing and infrastructure, etc. It'll have to be limited somewhere, or one good strategy player will be lording over the entire galaxy, but having to do everything by hand in a world with need of many hands and a severe lack thereof is no fun either.
    We could even play as individuals working within another player's mo fleet, or an AI faction controlled fleet, in due time. There's already some sort of quest system for the traders' guild in the works (you can ask for a mission and be told off, at least), and I would love to see that fleshed out. "Join up with our fleet in sector 19, -5, 7 for a fleet engagement. Hostiles expected are members of the Crendi Nation Navy, capital ships present. Further briefing form Admiral McMerchant on your arrival."

But then when you get down to the FPS games and ground combat, it's trickier to merge together. We probably couldn't have mecha or serious ground battles on a planet in starmade, due to lag, the fact that planets are really damn tiny (an enemy that is 100m away is probably over the horizon), getting ground vehicles like mecha and tanks to play nice with the blocky terrain, etc. But we could have boarding action and infantry combat aboard ships and stations, I have no doubt, if effort is put into it. I wouldn't mind another full-on redesign of solar systems and planetary geology, but that's a thread for another day. :P

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I see Starmade as a game that will take the best parts from so many other Sci-fi and Sandbox games to create a truly amazing space sandbox. Solo combat, PvE, exploration, close quarters astronaut combat, boarding, fleet combat, dog fighting, planetary assaults- these are all things I see for Starmade.

But then when you get down to the FPS games and ground combat, it's trickier to merge together. We probably couldn't have mecha or serious ground battles on a planet in starmade, due to lag, the fact that planets are really damn tiny (an enemy that is 100m away is probably over the horizon), getting ground vehicles like mecha and tanks to play nice with the blocky terrain, etc. But we could have boarding action and infantry combat aboard ships and stations, I have no doubt, if effort is put into it. I wouldn't mind another full-on redesign of solar systems and planetary geology, but that's a thread for another day. :p
    Tanks and small vehicles are coming at some point, hopefully. Schema talked about adding a "hover core" for ground vehicles ages ago.

Reaction score
    My primary interest (other than the ability to be creative and design and make my own starships) is Exploration. Finding new things, encountering new life-forms and civilizations. Needing to have a well-rounded ship... *cough*

I'm reminded of a little-known game I played on the original Nintendo [yes, I'm old...] called "Starflight" (iirc) where exploration was the main focus, and you could upgrade your ship by selling resources gathered by mining (you had to land your ship on a planet then go out in your rover-mining-vehicle and drill-and-wait, the more valuable the resource the more likely the planet would have earthquakes and damage your ship, etc, etc,) -- and there were hostile aliens you had to defend against and stuff.

Perhaps my favorite Sci-Fi game was Freelancer. On it's own, it was a 1st-person fighter-ship shooter essentially, but there was a community of modders that did fantastic work transforming it into all sorts of other things (one guy completely transformed the game into a Star Wars universe), half the fun of that was discovering all the extensive changes and additions.

So, yeah, it's fun to shoot things and watch them blow-up, but in terms of making Starmade into a viable, playable game I'm looking toward exploration (and making my own ship) -- one ship, on it's own, out there...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Quest systems and custom mods will probably add a lot to exploration possibilities in StarMade.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Personally, I hope in the future we can have more than one person actively participate on a ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I favor a playstle that is just mine. I can't tell in advance. In general i like technical stuff. i like aesthetics. building games strategy games in general appeal to me but i also liked parts of mmos- esspecially solving encounter with my guildies.

Regarding starmade
    - i love the recent changes to the battle mechanics. fighting definitly got more interesting. but it still needs work swarmers and nukes are still a thing. the hp system might fix that hopefully.
    - i love the building in starmade the advanced buildmode is awesome though i would wish for blocks which don't occupy an entire block, ladders, or you know
    - i like the logics system but it still is tooo limited of what it can actually do. i mean you can fire certain computers, lifters, gravity blocks (only the initial one! why?), doors and lights that's it, we need more
    - i kinda dislike the crafting as it is now as already stated here http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-future-of-crafting-discussion.6203/#post-89546
    - i am in the long run looking forward to procedureally generated questlines utilitzing all the inactive factions in the game. this would really make my explorer heart go "hmmhmmmm"
    - the game need better ai though an ai that keeps in range of it's weapons that does not stop firing just because the player is to far away... I want that an ai detects enemies on maximum range. so we need to see at least as far as out longest weapon reaches. 9600 m in a default game this means a 11x11x11 loaded and active sectors cube around the player thank you!
    - and we need more curves in balancing... a linear progression in numbers will always lead to humongeous ships. so please add curves to the progression. no softcaps, slow curves... 1st cannon barrel 35 damage second 31, 1000th 3, infinite 2 ... curves!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love crafting in games. Especially when I can craft everything in the game and sell it for profit. I love that about StarMade. It could use a little work like more intermediate items and more unique resources types such as organics. But other than that I like it a lot. Also does anyone know of any mmorpgs that feature a open world sandbox and tons of crafting? I need to get into some. I'm trying project gorgon out. It's ugly as piss... but fun.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Also does anyone know of any mmorpgs that feature a open world sandbox and tons of crafting? I need to get into some. I'm trying project gorgon out. It's ugly as piss... but fun.
    There would be the (currently in dev [closed alpha tests ended somewhere in january, I think, haven't heard of it since]) SkySaga.
    Deluks Gaming's fairly short let's play series of the closed alpha(episode 1 embedded):

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Reasonable Warfare, the kind of one that does not involve game-breaking million-mass titans.