The Future of Crafting Discussion

What do you want to see the crafting system become?

• Less types of resources

Votes: 6 24.0%
    • No more capsules

Votes: 3 12.0%
    • Less factory types

Votes: 3 12.0%
    • More types of resources

Votes: 8 32.0%
    • More intermediate crafting steps

Votes: 15 60.0%
    • More factory types

Votes: 7 28.0%
    • Keep the same as it is

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So while the new crafting system is leaps and bounds ahead of what it use to be, myself and others still believe that it can be refined further. Here are my ideas to make crafting more enjoyable!

First off, the many types of factories are really confusing and its annoying to have to look through all of them to figure out what can be built in what. The idea seems to be to add more depth into the game but honestly it just adds unneeded complication. Instead each factory should build a separate category of blocks (weapons, armor, etc). There also would be a refinery which would turn ores into mesh and grills and shards to circuits. This cuts out the unnecessary step of making everything into capsules first. These 3 components would then be used to create more universal crafting elements such as wires, frames, processors, and the like. The separate components would then be crafted into the desired block.

Currently there are so many types of ores and shards and some of them are so similar in color that its impossible to memorize them all! Ores should be cut down to only three or so different kinds with more of a generic/ natural color (brown, silver, black) . Shards should then be only in the primary colors (yellow, red, and blue) the other colors can be created by mixing them together in a factory before refining them into circuits.

Please leave all of your ideas, hopes, and whatnot for the future of crafting down below!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    While I find that moving through the menus of filters and active production tedious. I believe that we should probably re-purpose the shop UI for storage filters and factory production selection rather than simply reduce the complexity of the crafting system.

We could also use an in game help menu (or a new block) that displays the recipes and relative factories so that people can find which factory is needed for what purpose.

Capsules play an important role - it forces players to explore the galaxy in search of particular resources, if you remove them and just have the 2 basic resources then it reduces the impetus for players to explore new space, faction control/conflict over rare resources etc.

The colour issue is more from the size of the images of the capsules making it unclear what colour particular capsules are. Larger images, or a coloured symbol on capsules would improve this greatly.

Tiered crafting is not new nor is it unique, it is a common feature of many games (take the RTS genre, where tiered units are the norm and you often have tiered buildings to match). I think the issue you are complaining about is more the intermediate steps, which to be honest I can find frustrating too (which is why I have chained factory set ups to create my most common blocks), this in itself is not bad - but there are a number of intermediate steps where it sees to be an arbitrary step.

I would like to see intermediates become more universal, eg. make ingots lead to more than just advanced armour. This would lead to a much more useful feeling crafting system. (maybe make computers require the crystal/ingot of the correct resource rather than just a large ammount of capsules...)

Also having more complicated recipes requiring different capsules at different stages would be nice.

I think we could do with some polishing to the crafting system, mainly to the UIs, the accessibility of what factory is required, utility of intermediates, resource images in inventory and probably a few more - but I think that the multi-resource - multi-tier crafting set up is close to striking the balance between accessible to new players and a worthwhile pursuit for those who want to focus on it.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't even bother sorting capsules any more. I just dump them into refineries that are linked to all my factories. Dial in a recipe and it just pulls out what it needs. If it doesn't, it tells you what you need. Think of it as a quarry in Minecraft except the logic pipes come included with the machines. Set up your production line and you are away.

Mainly, I agree with ilec.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    -1 to making crafting less complex. I believe it is good where it is now. What we really need is an item something to base the economy off of, like modern day oil.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I honestly think crafting needs a big change. Minecraft got crafting pretty head on. Easy to remember recipes for everything in the game. I would like something like that but not exactly.

Just a quick example.

All weapon blocks require the same parts to construct a frame. There could be one unique piece of machinery to make each of the weapon blocks. This mentality can carry over into other recipes.

It would have to tie in with the current system or it would have to be redesigned. It's hard when we have advanced machinery that we have to build with names for things that are fictional. I would like it to be more in-depth than what we have though.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I honestly think crafting needs a big change. Minecraft got crafting pretty head on. Easy to remember recipes for everything in the game. I would like something like that but not exactly.

Just a quick example.

All weapon blocks require the same parts to construct a frame. There could be one unique piece of machinery to make each of the weapon blocks. This mentality can carry over into other recipes.

It would have to tie in with the current system or it would have to be redesigned. It's hard when we have advanced machinery that we have to build with names for things that are fictional. I would like it to be more in-depth than what we have though.
    I totally agree with this! I love simplicity(ability to memorize) yet at the same time having a system that is in depth.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe a system like in Minecraft, but with 3D microblocks instead of a 3x3 table thingy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Personally I feel that after the last revision the crafting system lost a lot of depth with the exception of hull types. In the final days of the past year I started a thread about this in the suggestions sub forum here about this. Here's a link to my final post in that thread were I show a simple schematic on how crafting of computer and module systems could be redesigned.
    In fact the idea is similar to what Vanhelzing mentioned earlier here, the principle is that the crafting steps follow a 'standard' pattern and that some base parts are used for all flavors. Quite the same as the crafting of different hull types is rolled out at the moment.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    I think that the current system is pretty solid already. But there is one thing that definitely needs fixing, there somehow needs to be a way to count blocks. I would suggest either some kind of build queue for factories (produce 3000 hull blocks, then 100 power capacitors, then stop) - this would probably be easy to implement and is accessible even for beginners, or a limit for storages on the amount of blocks they pull out of a factory or other storage. This would allow more flexibility for creating big and complex assembly lines that always have a set amount of blocks ready.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Ok so let us compare crafting in starmade to crafting in other games.

Different types of factories. Well that wouldn't be too bad if you would know what to expect? For example in an RTS barracks most likely produce some sort of meniken fighter guys right? Well starmade feels as haveing 30kish different blocks and what ever i want to produce i hardly have a clue in which factory to look for the recipe, this is annoying.

Minecraft: oven bakes/transforms workbench combines potion stand does potions enchanting table makes enchants... no annoyance you get what you expect.
    I agree that might be a bit more complicated in a sci-fi setting but still it is avalid point.

Now i love the mechanics the capsule refinery works! everybody gets this concept of refinig ores before you can actually make stuff out of them.
    In general i also like the factory ida and haveing mutliple of those but how about instead of spreading all the ites over 3 different increasing levels why not giving the factory purposes... for example a systems factory, a hulls factory, a lights and accessoirs factory.
    And then i also would appreciate these haveing levels but i would prefer adding them to the existing stucture as an extension like an upgrade like the factory enhancers do. the more modules/enhancers you add the more powerintense but also more efficient it gets.

I love the thousands of blocks in the game BUT i HATE with all intensity the UI for requesting that we add every single item by hand.
    This kills survival for me. i love automatization and the storage sorting and capsules and ... but in a game with so many different blocks get your UI done accordingly. if i say "sys" in the search i want always a multiple entries dialog with everything that contains "sys" including the category Systems.

The Ui and an easy to understand but complex and versatile crafting system will determine the success of this game. building ships is nice but if the devs could make survival intuitive and fun this game would skyrocket.

I went for more intermediate steps because i kind of like the idea of constructing the final blocks from block parts and only a few of the prts combined result in - a missile tube for example. something easy to memorize please. so +1 for criss frame suggestion...

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I want more parts to be used in crafting. Like Pipes and girders and stuff, that we currently use as decoration or something.

Also something like basic factories making standard factories by using basic factory+metal mech+crystal composite, and advanced facotries taking ingots and standard factories to make or something. Also a way to turn ingots back into capsules :)

Reaction score
    I still think that 2 changes need to be fundamentally made.

1/ A universal location where All recipes and respective factories can be looked up (be it a Databank block or a window). eg. Don't know where to build medical cabinets? Access the data repository, where the medical cabinet entry informs you that you need the advanced factory and displays the recipe - as well as the stats for the block. Doing this will fix much of the moaning regarding recipes being too complex. (not that I don't advocate for some recipe adjustment)

2/ The UI needs a major fix in regards to selecting an item for production or storage filter. This is actually the most critical - it should have been No.1 on my list. I made it bold and bigger just to add emphasis. If we had a better UI then building better factory chains/storage sorters etc. is a viable option and I will be less likely to punch a wall every time I need to set up a storage filter or factory chain (currently I find that the temptation of breaking my fist is approaching the same desirability as setting up appropriate storage filters).

Ok so let us compare crafting in starmade to crafting in other games.

Different types of factories. Well that wouldn't be too bad if you would know what to expect? For example in an RTS barracks most likely produce some sort of meniken fighter guys right? Well starmade feels as haveing 30kish different blocks and what ever i want to produce i hardly have a clue in which factory to look for the recipe, this is annoying....
    See point 1 - we need to make the ability to know where to go to do what you want Waaay easier.

...Ok so let us compare crafting in starmade to crafting in other games.
    Minecraft: oven bakes/transforms workbench combines potion stand does potions enchanting table makes enchants... no annoyance you get what you expect.
    I agree that might be a bit more complicated in a sci-fi setting but still it is avalid point.

Now i love the mechanics the capsule refinery works! everybody gets this concept of refinig ores before you can actually make stuff out of them.
    In general i also like the factory ida and haveing mutliple of those but how about instead of spreading all the ites over 3 different increasing levels why not giving the factory purposes... for example a systems factory, a hulls factory, a lights and accessoirs factory.
    And then i also would appreciate these haveing levels but i would prefer adding them to the existing stucture as an extension like an upgrade like the factory enhancers do. the more modules/enhancers you add the more powerintense but also more efficient it gets....
    Okay This time I have something new to say (I think, well from my mouth atleast). lets jump down the rabbit hole for a sec - I can see this going 2 ways.

1/ A Huge amount of factories, including a "factory factory" just to make all the factories. You end up with similar issues to now but in a different form unless all factories are unique looking (I have 30 different factories - which is my enhancer factory?) . you also lose the utility of having a one stop shop if you are big on time and small on space.

I also have to say that I find the idea of adding enhancers to the factory to move it up a tier detrimental to the idea behind the tier system (also you would need to create yet another UI that's even more dynamic so that it auto updates when enhancers are added or removed.)

2/ we move to a system of 4 types of "factories": the currently well known "Capsule Refinery", change the Micro Assembler to "Micro Smelter", a "Component Foundry" and a "Parts Assembler".

- Capsule Refineries work as they are now you get capsules and basic materials

- Component Foundry - This is where you manufacture the Intermediates, the items that have little use apart from being included in recipes (eg. Glass, Vanhelzing's idea of weapon frames and weapon devices etc)

- Parts Assembler - tiered Basic, Standard, Advanced, they take the parts you make in the foundry and assemble them - if you only need parts from the foundry then the basic assembler is where this happens (eg - hulls might use metal mesh on a Hull Frame from the foundry), need standard armour use the standard assembler (take a hull from the basic and add the Reinforcing Plates from the foundry), need advanced armour use the advanced assembler (take a standard armour from the standard and add the Strengthening Subframe from the foundry) Maybe you can use the advanced assembler to get all the parts from the foundry and make it in one hit (eg advanced armour instead of having to step each part up just add the metal mesh, Hull Frame, Reinforcing Plates, Strengthening Subframe and some capsules for "welding" to the advanced assembler and it's all done in one place.)

- Micro Smelters - tiered Components, Basic, Standard, Advanced, each is able to break down the equivalent level of an assembler (put in advanced armour to an advanced smelter - get standard armour and a Strengthening Subframe , put the same into a standard smelter and get hull, Reinforcing Plates and the Subframe, use a basic smelter and get all the components, use the component smelter and get all the ingredients value back as raw materials.)

This I think is my prefered option of the 2, we get a more WYSIWYG crafting system - you know that you need to get components from the foundry to take to the Assembler, you know that as the blocks are tiered you need to use the right tier of assembler, and the smelter is simply a reverse assembler. This gives us the ability to make more universal components - the Reinforcing plates, they are also found in say Thrusters, or Cannon Barrels etc.
    Also I have an Advanced Armour factory - It only takes 15 blocks, no excess components either

I love the thousands of blocks in the game BUT i HATE with all intensity the UI for requesting that we add every single item by hand.
    This kills survival for me. i love automatization and the storage sorting and capsules and ... but in a game with so many different blocks get your UI done accordingly. if i say "sys" in the search i want always a multiple entries dialog with everything that contains "sys" including the category Systems.
    Well Said Brother (or Sister) see point 2 above. I doubt there is anyone who has ever played Starmade who doesn't agree that this is the most important thing to fix in crafting.

... But there is one thing that definitely needs fixing, there somehow needs to be a way to count blocks. I would suggest either some kind of build queue for factories (produce 3000 hull blocks, then 100 power capacitors, then stop) - this would probably be easy to implement and is accessible even for beginners, or a limit for storages on the amount of blocks they pull out of a factory or other storage. This would allow more flexibility for creating big and complex assembly lines that always have a set amount of blocks ready.
    I desperately want this too, so far I have had to resort to a mix of filters and logic circuits to do something that is pretty standard in other games with automated production. (I have been considering posting my factory clock logic system, but I'm trying to upgrade it with a counter)

Reactions: hzzzln

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Crafting needs to be less complex while keeping the depth that many enjoy.

It also could be made easier to use. The new GUI is a great step forward in this regard.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Just a quick example.

I've been thinking the same thing. Non-arbitrary recipes, more or less. Machine frames, processors, capacitors, coils and crystals, not two dozen generic, basic raw materials that you use for everything.